Possible pass around!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the review guys! I was sweating, waiting on the review for this one. I have yet had reviews of a knife done by someone who didn't order it. To look at it, and take it for what it is, how it looks, and how it performs. As lefty mentioned, there are a couple issues with design, that are just that, design, these issues can easily be taylored to an individuals likes, and as such, will not be what everybody wants to have in their knife.

I look forward to hearing more from those users who wll give it a little heavier work out, some in a pro setting. You fine folks will give a knife more use in a day, then I could put it through in 6 months, or even a year. To give the steel a good run, see how it responds to the stones, and how the edge holds compared to more traditional steel chioces. I would like some suggestions I what needs to be changed, or improved, the bolster for example, suggestions on how it could be modified to be less noticeable to the user. Essentially, advice to help me design or modify future knives to a higher standard.

Again, thanks for the reviews.

Pierre

Regarding the bolsters, I think comfort could be improved simply by sweeping back the bolster face, rather than the squared edges the bolsters have now. In effect, to ease the transition from bolster to blade. Wa handles have this squared bolster-to-blade junction as well, but I think they avoid it being a comfort problem for two reasons. For one, wa handles are typically longer and uncontoured, encouraging a grip further back on the handle. Also, wa handled knives are usually lighter and much more blade-heavy, thus encouraging a lighter grip. On a western-style knife, with more weight in the handle, I find myself gripping tighter. Again, it could be a preference issue.

Regarding the bolsters, I think comfort could be improved simply by sweeping back the bolster face, rather than the squared edges the bolsters have now. In effect, to ease the transition from bolster to blade. Wa handles have this squared bolster-to-blade junction as well, but I think they avoid it being a comfort problem for two reasons. For one, wa handles are typically longer and uncontoured, encouraging a grip further back on the handle. Also, wa handled knives are usually lighter and much more blade-heavy, thus encouraging a lighter grip. On a western-style knife, with more weight in the handle, I find myself gripping tighter. Again, it could be a preference issue.

I have already been playing with this very design option. It is going to be offered as an option on future knives. Thanks for your review, it is valuable information.

You're welcome, Pierre. I enjoyed trying out the knife, it seems like a winner.

It's in transit. Sorry guys, I guess I should have let you all know.
Jim will be taking it to ECG now. Go figure! Haha
Thanks again Jim!

OK this is all my fault so sorry. Just received the knife today (it has been a crazy week). I will post thoughts later. Played around with it a bit today, going to take it home and touch up the edge tomorrow. bring it back to work for more play time. I was going to be the one to take it to ECG but due to work I can not attend. Jim lives near me so I will be passing it off to him and he will take it to ECG.

Not your fault at all, Matt! You and Jim both went above and beyond to make sure it will make an appearance. Make sure you get the knife for a few more days, once Jim is done with it, so you can get a good look!
Thanks for doing this guys!

Hey, sorry

Jim is getting the knife tomorrow. I am swamped at work and will not have time to write anything up for a bit. But first chance I get I will

Nice matt. Hoping to see the review.

Jim- Anything you would like to share?

I have, in total cut up one onion up with this knife. When I get back from the ECG I will us it some more. I have some strong opinions already and want to confirm them.

I got a preview of the knife at the ECG today. Visual only, though. The damasteel really looks cool. It will be fun playing with knife for a week when my time comes.

It's quite a bit different then the knives Pierre made for me last year.

I have, in total cut up one onion up with this knife. When I get back from the ECG I will us it some more. I have some strong opinions already and want to confirm them.
Ok, Jim, your making me nervous :bat:

Sorry guys. My work schedule is overloaded. The only time I get on the forum is when I take two minutes to clear my head during work. I will get a review up next day off I have.

I am working on a review and making friends with the knife- better to do a good job than a fast one in my book.

I agree!
I'm very interested in it!

If I dont see a review soon, I have to send my bear to visit!

132884_700b.jpg

Any bears come by here they might meet Mr.375 H&H.

A bow is much quieter, and doesn't upset the neighbours. Took a nice 7 footer with one.

Back