Pure proformance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all honesty I'm surprised there wasn't quite a few super rare knives but it seems to me proformance has severe diminished returns

I'll second Kato standard and add Mizuno honyaki

Don custom made knives handle and feel like workhorses.... An expensive workhorse but definitely a workhorse.

Pure cutting performance - Teruyasu Fujiwara denka (average food release).

Pure food release performance with good cutting performance - Kato

All round cutting and food release performance - Toyama or Itinomonn.

Maumasi. Comfort when working like a horse is just as important as HT and Grind, and the way the bolster flows is very comfy.

TF Denka 240, Hiromoto Honyaki 185, Kato 240 (pure cutting performance)
TF Denka mini cleaver, Kurosaki R2 western (all round performance)

@people mentioning Denka, are those knives pretty heavy?

I think they can vary quite a bit. The one I had the opportunity to handle was a middleweight. Significantly lighter than my Toyama.

TF Denka 240, Hiromoto Honyaki 185, Kato 240 (pure cutting performance)
TF Denka mini cleaver, Kurosaki R2 western (all round performance)

That mini cleaver sounds interesting. Was it a custom order? I can't seem to find anything like it on TF website.

Also, to all those mentioning TF denka, can anyone compare to his maboroshi line? Is there an appreciable difference in cutting performance or is it more about superior edge retention?

Also, to all those mentioning TF denka, can anyone compare to his maboroshi line? Is there an appreciable difference in cutting performance or is it more about superior edge retention?

Yes, have tested several Maboroshis and two Denkas till now. Geometrywise, you can't really compare because the variations in one line of knives (Maboroshi or Denka) can be bigger than the variations betweeen these two lines.
But... edge retention and edge stability are FAR superior in the Denka!

Regards, Iggy

That mini cleaver sounds interesting. Was it a custom order? I can't seem to find anything like it on TF website.

yeah. The TF Denka (gyutos) appear to have a thinner overally behind the edge geometry than the maboroshis. Edge retention is wonderful, almost like my R2 - just stays kitchen sharp for a long long time.

Yes, have tested several Maboroshis and two Denkas till now. Geometrywise, you can't really compare because the variations in one line of knives (Maboroshi or Denka) can be bigger than the variations betweeen these two lines.
But... edge retention and edge stability are FAR superior in the Denka!

Regards, Iggy

yeah. The TF Denka (gyutos) appear to have a thinner overally behind the edge geometry than the maboroshis. Edge retention is wonderful, almost like my R2 - just stays kitchen sharp for a long long time.

Thank you both for the insight. I have a maboroshi santoku and I love it, but I think I'll have to spring for a denka gyuto sometime.

@people mentioning Denka, are those knives pretty heavy?

There's a lot of variation. The 240 is considerably heavier than the 210 and shorter blades. I was told the main reason the 240 is almost 2x the cost of the 210 is that there is more material (core steel, I presume) involved in the manufacture. My 210mm Denka was particularly light at 174g and 51mm at heel.

I only handled one 210 at epicedge and it was not heavy at all, mid weight at most. The one they have was very nice though, well finished, good grind visually, etc. I didn’t cut with it, but it seemed a very good version of the knife given all the inconsistencies people talk about.

All this TF talk cracks me up. For as long as he’s been around his consistency and F&F level are at the amateurish level. I’ve had 5 of his knives and the ones I liked best were the basic Nashiji line and they were very flawed. The maborishi were ok and the Denka was flat out horrible. All were ordered direct and after extensive messaging back and forth as to what was desired, he just sent what ever he made. The maborishi line knives I literally sent cad dimensional drawings with how I wanted my knives and I received knives that were nowhere remotely close to what I asked for. Other than that he is a pretty personable guy who’s very intelligent and interesting.

Back