Restaurant bans young children

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll continue to take my kids wherever it pleases me to take them. If folks around me appear agitated, I encourage my kids to talk louder and, if need be, throw their food. When they were younger I took great delight in changing their diapers on the table. When people stomped away because of the smell I always felt like I had essentially marked my territory. Felt good!

O.K., maybe I haven't done those things - but my kids mean more to me than anyone else in the world, and if I want them to join me for a nice dinner the last thing I'm worried about is if some fool doesn't like a little commotion. And for "chefs" who don't appreciate "dumbing down" the order because my kid can't handle spicy food: just put what we asked for on the plate, and I'll pay the restaurant 10 times what it's worth. That way we are both happy. (maybe that was a bit over the top...)

It'll be interesting to see if they grow up to be mature adults with a a respect for others and the ability to take responsibility for their actions.

I'll continue to take my kids wherever it pleases me to take them. If folks around me appear agitated, I encourage my kids to talk louder and, if need be, throw their food. When they were younger I took great delight in changing their diapers on the table. When people stomped away because of the smell I always felt like I had essentially marked my territory. Felt good!

O.K., maybe I haven't done those things - but my kids mean more to me than anyone else in the world, and if I want them to join me for a nice dinner the last thing I'm worried about is if some fool doesn't like a little commotion. And for "chefs" who don't appreciate "dumbing down" the order because my kid can't handle spicy food: just put what we asked for on the plate, and I'll pay the restaurant 10 times what it's worth. That way we are both happy. (maybe that was a bit over the top...)

You belong at McDonalds. I find your attitude typical of 21st century "I'm entitled" attitude. I pay good money just like you do. I am just as entitled to have a pleasant carefree meal. You have NO right to disturb my meal just because you are an incompetent parent who does not know how to teach your child right from wrong and how to be a good citizen. Should you be eating a meal in a restaurant that I am at, & your kids act up, maybe I should take a dump on your table and let your kids get dysentary.

I've seen dogs at restaurants (outdoor seating of course) that behaved better than some children.

There as absolutely no reason for any parent to let their kids run amok wherever and whenever they chose. And you're right, these kids will grow up with the same F-you attitude as the morons that raised them. They'll talk loudly on their cell phones in the 'quiet car' of the train, or at a performance or movie. They'll take up 2 parking spaces or park in the 'handicapped only' space with their institutionalized moms hang tag. Or sue everybody because their life is so unfulfilling, but it can't possibly be their fault because pattern their whole existance after some dick on Jersey Shore.

I guess it's time to up the meds.:mad3:

So on the whole, it seems more like an adult problem rather then a child problem no?? If the kids are taught proper table manners and etiquette, I for one wouldn't mind having them in the restaurant. The point is to be considerate, and gracious and that is where proper upbringing makes a big difference.. I've given complimentary desserts to children who are well behaved when I worked as a waiter... I think it reinforces the idea that "hey, being nice brings rewards!!"

This just an example of what I witnessed on Sunday night. We are at a family Italian restaurant. At the next table there are 4 adults and three children the adults at one end, children at the other. the youngest boy, around 6, starts banging on the older boy around 9 with some plastic toy. And it wasn't love taps. Of course a load fitght breaks out. The adults didn't even notice or pay attention to the load screaming. Sure made MY dinner pleasant. Thanks folks I'm glad you had a good time at my expense.

At another table there was a part of 10-12, celebrating a 1 year old first birthday. Hyper sonic screetching, loud screaming cries, 3 year olds running around, and they even closed off one table (losing revenue).
And you are telling me that banning children is somehow demonic? I think we should rephrase; we aren't banning children, we are banning inconsiderate, lazy, incompetent parents. the kids just come along as baggage. ITS THE PARENTS THAT NEED TO BE BANNED.

You belong at McDonalds. I find your attitude typical of 21st century "I'm entitled" attitude. I pay good money just like you do. I am just as entitled to have a pleasant carefree meal. You have NO right to disturb my meal just because you are an incompetent parent who does not know how to teach your child right from wrong and how to be a good citizen. Should you be eating a meal in a restaurant that I am at, & your kids act up, maybe I should take a dump on your table and let your kids get dysentary.

You missed my point - and I couldn't care less. You belong at Old Country Buffet. There won't be any kids there to bother you! :tooth:

It'll be interesting to see if they grow up to be mature adults with a a respect for others and the ability to take responsibility for their actions.

I can tell you this, they will sure as heck know what the word facetious means! I've got good kids, and I'm a good parent. Disagreeing with you doesn't change that.

I can tell you this, they will sure as heck know what the word facetious means! I've got good kids, and I'm a good parent. Disagreeing with you doesn't change that.

Ah, so you're just being a troll.

He was kidding!! There is no need to keep poking!

Nope. There was a point in there somewhere. I guess it got lost in translation. My bad. I suppose the @$$hole tone I took didn't help me make my point. Lesson learned.

If you're not trolling and are the least bit serious about what you said your tone is the least of your troubles.

I wish you and your kids all the luck in the world.

bye

He is, he just doesn't see it. And frankly since you have taken that tone, YOU take them to Old Country Buffet, I will continue to cook my 2 Michelin star food and enjoy.....

I got it, you were just trying to emulate the position that your kids and raising them are 1000% more important to you than any of the other people in the building. I can relate to that. I think it's absurd that people think that parents need to bend over backward being considerate of the continuous pleasure cruise that is life without toddlers. Being a parent is a gigantic pain in the ass, and if someone is parenting their kids, even through ignoring a tantrum, people should respect their role. They are busy teaching a new generation how to behave.

When I was a kid, I stole a stick of gum, and my dad found out. He marched me back into the store, and ordered me to give it back and apologize. I was blubbering and doing the ugly cry, I was so embarrassed and ashamed. The clerk felt great pity and said,"Ooooh, it's ok....it's just 25 cents. He can keep it." My dad was so irritated, he was trying to teach me not to shoplift when all that is needed is to have a little kid cry and say he's sorry. Try getting a 17 year old to stop shoplifting. People gotta cooperate with parents--you may be having a good time, but they are on the job, and its a job that affects everyone directly(cause a bratty, rude toddler will someday be a traffic cop, insurance agent, or your neighbor).

The parental instinct to protect our offspring is fundamental to the success of the human race. Monty's instincts were clearly agitated, that's all.

Our local Malaysian restaurant has a sign up that reads the parents of kids who cause a mess (I assume this means throwing food on the floor and knocking dishes off the table during horseplay) will be subject to a surcharge of $15 for the trouble.

Our three-and-a-half-year-old has always been perfect at restaurants, he loves the experience and will not play up unless he is overtired - and that's not his fault, it's ours for failing to manage it. On the rare occasions that he does play up I ask if he wants to wait in the car, and that usually works.

We did have a lot of trouble however on the second leg of the plane trip back from the UK a year and a half ago which was Seoul-Sydney with three hour stopover, boy did that suck! He screamed his head off the entire 10 hour trip and we were too exhausted to cope. No one messed with us though except for one glare which that person wisely did not direct at me or while I was looking. I don't take any crap from other people for my kid being a kid because we do try our best and we are thoughtful people. My stock response is 'if you can't handle screaming kids on a plane, don't fly cattle class, d1ckhead!'.

I have fond respect for parents that stick together for their kids sake, or raise them for that matter. It's a tough job. It's those that treat them like excess baggage, mistreat, or neglect them as if they were a little more then a burden, to those people, I point to myself and tell them "this is how they will turn out".
(Just kidding Mom and Dad) Man, don't let me start on casey anthony.

I've been resisting putting in my two cents here because reading this thread raises my blood pressure so I can feel my head throbbing. I have two kids. The smallest one is about one and a half. They are both very well behaved although the do tend to make a bit of a mess. I try to clean up as much as possible and leave a generous tip. If my wife is with me and a kid gets fidgety, one of us will go outside to play for a few minutes. Despite my best efforts, my little one either whispers or screams. He has no normal speaking volume. Basically, we get a scream every few minutes during a meal. He's not upset that's just how he is and it isn't just mealtime, either. I used to be embarrassed by this. Now, I do my best to deal with him and try not to go where we're not welcome. (Unfortunately, that isn't always a viable option.) I wouldn't put up with people being mean to my kids but luckily, I haven't ever had to deal with that. Otherwise, I'd probably be in jail.

What stumps me is the "us vs. them" perception of some of the parents here, and elsewhere.

Of course parents should protect their children if they need protection, but I didn't see any mention here or in any of the articles about anyone treating children poorly or being mean to them.

In fact, the restaurant owner said, There’s "nothing wrong with babies,but the fact is you can't control their volume." He said all that screaming and crying disturbs many of his customers. "You know, their child -- maybe as it should be -- is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

That's a reasonable man not condemning or blaming kids for acting like kids.

The thing is, kids couldn't care less where they eat; it's the parents of the kids who are pissed because their under 6 yr. old kids are banned. It's a shame quiet kids' parents have to suffer because other children's parents allow their loud ones to stay but that's why rules are set up most of the time.

I'll let you in on a secret. People with kids spend less in a restaurant than those without. In the nicer restaurants I have worked we try and keep the people who spend money happy. I know, you spend money but you're an exception. I can't serve full portions or wine/spirits/beer to your child. This is how I make money. I don't care if you tell your friends, because they have kids and don't spend money either. Again, this is how I make money. This is why ALL of the nicer restaurants I've run didn't seat parties w kids between 7-9pm. Its one more thing I could control to make a better dining experience.

Why do you think that's a secret? I thought everybody knows the profit is in the drinks. That goes for all restaurants down to McDonalds. A cup of soda is basically free and they charge a couple bucks. That's highway robbery, lol.

In Sydney, two sodas and a bucket of popcorn at the movies costs $20. Two adults plus one child = $60 incl drinks and popcorn. Now THAT's highway robbery.

It's probably cultural difference, but Australian restaurants don't normally ban or refuse to serve children, but the waiting staff in the snootier joints will sometimes choose to get the message across by being extremely ****** towards you. Of course, tipping is not mandatory here.

So on the whole, it seems more like an adult problem rather then a child problem no?? If the kids are taught proper table manners and etiquette, I for one wouldn't mind having them in the restaurant. The point is to be considerate, and gracious and that is where proper upbringing makes a big difference.. I've given complimentary desserts to children who are well behaved when I worked as a waiter... I think it reinforces the idea that "hey, being nice brings rewards!!"

Spot on, Mel!

And for everyone who refers to child rearing as a 'tough job', this was something you chose to undertake. My job is tough too, but if continually f it up I'll get fired, and everyone else won't have to pay the price for my mistakes.

Well, I just took my 7 year old to a U2 concert outdoors. Bad move. It was too loud and pouring rain. She is going to hate me until she thinks it was cool -- if that ever happens. That's parenting: constant reminders of how wrong we can be.

k.

This is the only baby i won't allow
adults can act just as stupid and leave big messes ........
in there diaper.
indexwzw.jpg
[/IMG]

Why do you think that's a secret? I thought everybody knows the profit is in the drinks. That goes for all restaurants down to McDonalds. A cup of soda is basically free and they charge a couple bucks. That's highway robbery, lol.

You know "bam-bam" and "Dorothy" could do whatever and I'd be okay with them...

Wow, quite a subject. I've rewritten my post about 4x now, trying to make sure it doesn't sound like I hate children.
My wife and I have no children, but raising them (and staying married) looks like one of the hardest things a couple can do. That said, nothing reflects more on the the parents than having a well mannered child. I'm starting to think that people simply aren't teaching children manners anymore because they feel it's too "difficult".
I understand babies crying, most parents will take them outside/away from the other diners. The ones that I'm seeing are the children from 4-6 years old that their parents let them run around disturbing other tabels, yelling, throwing things, sitting at the bar, etc. I realize kids will be kids, I'm talking about the children who seem to be IGNORED by their parents . Those are the people who've driven resturaunt owners to ban children. As a parent if you can't or decide not to keep your children under control, expect to get asked to leave.
When we're out having dinner and a persons child is raising havok I have no problem asking you to kindly keep them at your table or take them outside to play. From there it's up to the parent what kind of example they would like to set for their children.
On the flip side of that, I saw a young boy in a resturaunt with a ton of energy- he was being a kid ( i think he was about 5-6 years old) and should have been allowed to go outside and burn off some energy. Well, insted his father decided to smack his son the the back of the head. I excused myself from the table, walked over to the father and explained that while I understand he can dicipline his child however he sees fit, he should do it in private. I also explained that smacking his child in the head, in public is demeaning and abusive and if he continued I would let him expierience it himself.
Children with manners and courtesy are fantastic and their parents sould be proud.

Good thing I have no money to go out to eat because after reading this thread I'm never going to take my kids out to a restaurant again. :D

Back