ridiculous requests

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i also got one today. we offer a chicken and brie sandwich at our restaurant it consists of grilled chicken breast, brie, roasted red peppers, Thai style honey mustard sauce and baby arugula tossed in our apple cider vinaigrette on a baguette . The ticket came in chicken and brie sandwich hold the honey mustard, brie, roasted red peppers, sub romaine for arugula, add tomatoes and mayo, no chicken sub turkey and change the baguette to a burger bun. I wouldn't have gotten upset if it wasn't for the fact that we don't even have a turkey sandwich on the menu and the server has worked there for three years and knows that. Well, that and we were in the middle of brunch and don't even offer that menu. Her response, "Can't you send someone to the store to buy some turkey? I already told her you would do it." I marched her to the table and made her explain to the customer why Chef was glaring at her . They were very understanding and ordered the eggs Benedict and peach french toast instead.

Last night my server Michael comes to the back and says, "Chef, I know we're cutting it close since 2013 is coming to an end but I think we have a winner for the dumbest question of the year. This idiot at table 47 just asked me, 'can you ask the chef if he could make me a veal osso bucco?'"

I suggested the Braised Short Ribs with creamy Polenta.

Sure , have him wait while I break down this leg of veal.
Last night my server Michael comes to the back and says, "Chef, I know we're cutting it close since 2013 is coming to an end but I think we have a winner for the dumbest question of the year. This idiot at table 47 just asked me, 'can you ask the chef if he could make me a veal osso bucco?'"

I suggested the Braised Short Ribs with creamy Polenta.

i would rather turn away a customer who refuses to order off the menu..
imagine the response you would get if you walk into a chinese restaurant, ask for shrimp fried rice, sub quinoa for rice, no oil, crawfish instead of shrimp.

every time i get off menu modifiers i just want to smack both the server and the guest with a dirty spatula.

If customers are conciliatory and compromising its better to humor them. Its the ones who ask for off menu items AND complain about the menu in my dinning room for an hour.

Last night I got a "well done" on braised pork shoulder with white beans. -- Beacuse "last time I ordered it, we got one that was medium rare." --- Pretty sure after a five hour braise, I've never accidentally served one mid-rare.

I get that "well done" crap all the time on everything from shrimp to French toast, then have to hear the server tell me the customer was bitching about the food being 'tough'. Guess we'll just have to comp 'em some well done ice cream then, eh?

I once got a check on for a lamb breast, cured sea trout and milk risotto which i garnished with jamon iberico as usual. When the plates came back clean the waitress said 'I don't know why you bothered garnishing the risotto, it was for that couple's Labrador'. That Iberian pig turned in its grave. Dog risotto. Career low point

I once got a check on for a lamb breast, cured sea trout and milk risotto which i garnished with jamon iberico as usual. When the plates came back clean the waitress said 'I don't know why you bothered garnishing the risotto, it was for that couple's Labrador'. That Iberian pig turned in its grave. Dog risotto. Career low point

Don't tell tkern that...

My last job was at a restaurant predominately known for seafood. Every Thursday we'd do degustation only; occasionally we might use beef or pork or truffles etc if we were approached but 9 out of 10 times it'd be seafood and at every one we'd have a few people who were allergic. Sometimes they'd only inform us on the day.

Obviously in the industry you do your best to avoid cross-contamination, be over cautious with storage and handling of allergens and whatnot and thankfully I've never worked anywhere where an allergic reaction as occurred. But it still scare me something awful when I hear "nut allergy" or "seafood allergy", so when someone rocks up to a 9 course mudcrab degustation with a crustacean allergy, it kinda puts you on edge. If they are truly allergic, why would you even bother risking it?

On New Years Eve an epi pen made an appearance at my restaurant. They had a hazelnut allergy. They requested the Hazelnut Cremosa. Then they literally ate a couple of candied hazelnuts. And they had an allergic reaction. Imagine that.

Few years ago I had someone order a club sandwich on brown bread, but the middle slice of bread white. About a year after that I had someone ask me to pick the minced carrots out of a rice pilaf. I said no to that one, unless they wanted to wait for me to make a new batch, which they didn't.

Last night had a table send back our Pickled Bean Sprout salad, they weren't aware that it was a 'salad' and said they can't eat raw bean sprouts.... And requested it be cooked, because they can eat them cooked apparently.

Had a server that had 4 tickets in a row that every dish had a special instruct on it, and the very next ticket he put in had a side of broccoli-sub collard greens on it.

... Dude. Put in a side of collard greens.

had a server ask today if we still had mashed potatoes. We haven't had that for 3 months, when the menu changed.

Server at brunch tries to order fries. We've never had fries. So their response is: 'Well how about a baked potato?'

Never had a baked potato at brunch either.

86'd the server.

Server at brunch tries to order fries. We've never had fries. So their response is: 'Well how about a baked potato?'

Never had a baked potato at brunch either.

86'd the server.

Tater salad?

??? Sorry, should have been clearer - what does 86'd mean? I always thought it meant killing someone. Non-native speaker who wants to learn. And was I offensive? Don't know how but sorry if I was.

Stefan

86 in restaurant terms (as far as I know) means you are out of something and are in-able to make more. So if someone says "We are 86 Fried rice" That means that you are out of one of the key ingredients for making fried rice (IE Rice, eggs, oil, fire) and cannot replace it during this shift.

So when you say a server has been 86'd that means they were gotten rid of, and hopefully killed.

??? Sorry, should have been clearer - what does 86'd mean? I always thought it meant killing someone. Non-native speaker who wants to learn. And was I offensive? Don't know how but sorry if I was.

Stefan

Sorry Stefan, I was speaking off the cuff. Like greasedbullet said, she was fired. And it wasn't the first, or second offense.

Back