ridiculous requests

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree but disagree. I thought the same until I as well have a gluten intolerance. I use to and still hate gluten free people who show up without notice and expect a whole meal catered to them. People who are truly gluten free will typically call ahead or know what they can have. And the ones who bring cards with what they can't have you know are truly allergic.

but i have to tell you if i eat too much gluten i will feel like **** for up to a week, glad i finally figured it out because it sucks.

but we have these people who come in literally every single night and sit at the bar. They refuse to order off the menu, and the Maitre D' allows them to get away with it as well as the owners. Every night is some concoction of food and special sauce. Then about a minute before we close his wife will order something special.
people that fake gluten allegies are lame. that being said, im pretty convinced that there definitely health benefits to reducing your gluten consumption, and i do try to do just that whenever i can.

Charge them 35$ and just get some takeaway at the back door of the kitchen ;)

36 oz. Porterhouse for two...requested the strip side half M, half MW, and filet side half MR, half M

you can't make this stuff up

I always love when you get the red ink that says "onion allergy" or whatever, then you tell the server there is already onion in x, y or z. They come back and say, "they said that was okay, just no EXTRA onion". Oh, so you are only allergic to EXTRA onion? Got it.

My most ridiculous ever was someone who wanted their entire meal (a salmon entree) put in a blender so they could drink/slurp it. They were elderly or injured or something...but geez.

gross dude!

The whole gluten-free thing is totally out of hand.
The thing is, we take food allergies seriously. So don't tell us you're allergic to something when you really aren't. Getting all new mise, cutting boards, putting pots of clean oil on the range to cook your "gluten allergy" fries. It screws us up. We're happy to accommodate, but don't lie about it.

Gaaawd most disrespectful people ever. Im sorry if youre gluten free for real, but Im sick of this S&^* and the whiny snobby attitudes.

I was working at a place that served a 14 course degustation only, there were always dietary requests, not usually a big deal, one night we had a customer who was vegetarian, no dairy, no sugar, no high fructose fruits, and no mushrooms, tomatoes or capsicums, onions or garlic. 14 Courses!!!

Happens all too often. What the hell did you come here for lady? You want a boiled potato or something? 14 ways...

36 oz. Porterhouse for two...requested the strip side half M, half MW, and filet side half MR, half M

you can't make this stuff up

Gentlemen, in the spirit of the OP, I think we have a WINNER! :hatsoff:

Be well,
Mikey

I love the vegan 10 course tasting menu, without notice. Someone may have already said that though.

The dietary debacle .... I am in two minds.
I respect people with REAL food allergys and dietary requirements .
I love cooking for them (with plenty of notice) and supprising them with inventive stuff, not the boring easy options they usually get.
However.... I $&#%n hate supprize dietary requirements and allergies that disappear at the site of delicious pastry work.
Functions are the worst , supposed gluten / dairy free refusing to eat their specialy catered painstakingly prepared meal as they want the lemon curd tart... Ahh hh!

So far my favourite wierd requests have all been from lighter lunch menus:

Club sandwhich: no bread
"There are a few gluten free options on the menu, we also have gluten free bread if you would prefer"
Answer :" no, club sandwhich ingredients only no bread, arranged nicely"

Wagu burger - no fries side salad instead as they don't want to much fat intake ... ;)
Wagu burger - no meat , or salad just bun and sauce

House salad - no dressing, no salt , they didn't want almost all of the ingredients.
The end result was literally a bowl of raw baby spinach and blanched green beans,
They complained it was bland....

This is a side note but Anyone notice with degustation ,( i used work where you cant get it after 8 on sundays as its a 3-4 hour thing)
There is always one table that gets the Dego right on the cutoff. leaving 15 very upset kitchen crew who could almost taste after work knockoffs. Luckily I had the first three courses. Pastry would have to wait hours for two people.

We had someone the other night who wanted to remove the rice from their entree and substitute roasted bone marrow instead.

Expo: "Walking in: Medium Bacon Cheeseburger,86 Burger, 86 Bacon, 86 LTO, 86 Bun sub White Bread toasted."

Me: "It's a ******* Grilled Cheese!!"

Expo: "Oh, walking in a ******* grilled cheese sandwich."

Working a large banqueting event, set menu, dessert was cheesecake.

'Oh, could I have something instead of the cheesecake? I'm allergic to it.'

'Sorry, we have nothing else to offer you, other than a fruit salad.'

'Oh never mind, I'll have the cheesecake then.'

And another;

Guest had ordered a Cesar salad, and then rejected it on the basis it contained anchovies and she was allergic to anchovies. So she ordered a salad with dressing containing anchovies, and then claimed she was allergic to anchovies. I do not have time for these people.

i don't think it's common knowledge that caesar dressing contains anchovies, i bet a lot of people would not order if they knew even though they actually like the dressing because mental stigma is difficult to overcome, especially for stupid people.

i don't think it's common knowledge that caesar dressing contains anchovies, i bet a lot of people would not order if they knew even though they actually like the dressing because mental stigma is difficult to overcome, especially for stupid people.

Agreed, most people wouldn't know that Cesar dressing contains anchovies, if I was allergic to anchovies I would take a bit more interest in what does contain anchovies.

The whole gluten-free thing is totally out of hand.
The thing is, we take food allergies seriously. So don't tell us you're allergic to something when you really aren't. Getting all new mise, cutting boards, putting pots of clean oil on the range to cook your "gluten allergy" fries. It screws us up. We're happy to accommodate, but don't lie about it.

Lol this sounds like my day everyday. I get worst allergy request ever. One family. Asked for onion, alcohol, mushroom, salt, garlic, pepper, dairy, egg, gluten, shellfish , citric acid allergy And they had to be very very Vip. And there were 11 of them. Damn Disney why do u have to harbor so many millionaires to come to my restaurant on a weekly basis..
Oh and they did not liked to food cooked raw if possible.

Wtfffffffff

Ended up making vegan lasagna, watermelon ceviche, salads galore , sorbets as dressing for salads cuz they didn't want too much vinegar and they ate at my restaurant 6 days in a row I ran out of ideas in so quickly jezzzzzzzz

you prob. was the only place that catered to what they asked for.

When I used to cook, one request was for a raw burger patty thrown on a bun. Next was a lady wanting her burger well done, though it was already a charcoal briquet by the third time she sent it back, claiming to still see pink...

Not the most ridiculous, but I always laugh when I look back.
20130509_124501_zpsf7dcbbf3.jpg
[/IMG]

A lot of the above requests are from people who have a a crap experience before.
Pink/MR no blood is from an unrested steak, cooked then put on a plate when you cut it blood/juice pours out.

Allergies are big here too, ive recently gone 99% gluten free, I cook Thai food so no flour is used except our spring roll pastry, ive changed to the Megachef Soy and Oyster sauces which have a celiac approval.

Vegetarians I don't really do much for tbh, almost everything has fish sauce or shrimp paste in it somewhere, our tofu dishes have fish sauce in them etc. Thais don't do vegetarian really, I have 2 thai chefs working for me, they are still baffled at these weird white people allergies and only eating vegies.

Such as tonight, a lady asked if she could have a vegetarian red curry laksa with tofu instead of the beef brisket, I said no to the waitress, as there is shrimp paste in the curry paste, she came back and said its ok.
When I fry my paste I add dried shrimp also, it gives a nice flavour, waitress came back and said the lady complained that there was shrimp in it...
So you're ok with fermented shrimp ground into a paste in your sauce, but not shrimp?!?!

Lately ive been holding out on changing things until they give in and confess its b.s, the real allergy sufferers will bring a card out and then I'm happy to oblige.
We get coriander 'allergies' I just tell them everything has ground coriander seeds, but they're only allergic to the leaf now.
I usually tell them too bad, pick it out yourself.
Chilie allergy, everything literally has chilli in it, oh its only a mild allergy now?
Garlic allergy, all sauces start with pounded garlic, oh, just no extra garlic, got it.

All our dishes are sharing plates and food comes 'as its ready' or when I decide, so we don't flood the table with too much at once.

Maybe ive turned into a grumpy bastard, but I decline any menu alterations or special requests, special menu just for them, my wait staff are pretty good and know a lot of what goes into things so can take care of a lot of weird questions

Last night was hilarious. Mom tells server her kid wants gluten free pizza no tomato sauce no cheese only pepperoni but doesn't want the pepperoni cooked. So comes in and tells chef the request and he laughs and tells the hot app guy gluten free pizza no sauce no cheese only pepperoni. Hot app guy looks at me like how do I do that. I tell him to go make gluten free toast. And put pepperoni on it. Mom sends a note to the cooks. My kid loved the pizza we will come back again. Thank you very much. Lol 18 dollars for toast and pepperoni gotta leave it up to a resort to charge that much for two peices of toast and ten small slices of pepperoni.

i was lucky enough to work for a miserable owner in an Italian dive...

"i need garlic bread with margarine instead of butter."

"we don't have margarine."

"but, but...."

"pack a lunch."

:)

Chopped salad, everything on the side.

I also love requests to split a poached/sunny side egg. Classic.

Got a new one last night. Filet cut 1/3 by 2/3 1/3 cooked medium well. 2/3 cooked medium rate to medium. Everything on the side and the 1/3 sliced.

Back