Santoku.. 165 or 180?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masibu

Reaction score
I have a lot of knives (especially gyutos) already but I've only ever used one santoku in my life and that was many moons ago. I've been wanting to get a teruyasu fujiwara gyuto for a few years but the santoku is like half the price and looming as a good candidate for me to try out.

They offer them in 165 and 180 but I'm curious which sees the most use generally speaking? I like gyutos 240-270mm for bulk prep but prefer something smaller during service (I've been cycling through 180-210mm slicers and gyutos and haven't really settled on one). 165 seems pretty small to me so I was thinking 180 would be more appropriate however 165 seems like it would be better in cramped spaces. Does the extra length make as large a difference as it does with a gyuto?

I also have a couple of 180 gyutos, including the Hinoura. Personally, I think a 180 gyuto is a must to have in the block.

I have 165 and 180 santokus. They are both very handy and fun to use, but I still prefer the 180 gyuto. You could try the Mazaki 180 gyuto if the Hinoura isn’t your style.

The 165 is really for a smaller-handed person,
traditional for housewife, etc. With small hand
it still has usable edge length (ie, not crowded by
the pinch grip).

On a separate note, I agree with 180 gyuto/petty
being a great shape that pairs with 240mm.

This can be a more useful combo than 210 and/or 150
that still works in cramped spaces.

The 180 vs 165 edge is a bit more important in a petty/gyuto
because the edge is flatter (if its the same ht)
or it can be taller (for any given flatness).

The Santoku is flatter and taller by design so the 165 still
has some edge length and some heel height, but
the tip shape has loads of drag an awkward angles.

Just my $0.02. Good luck either way.

Hinoura 180 santoku on AS is on sale. Probably less than 200dollars.
Check cleancut.se

I've been mulling it over.. I had a gander at my housemate's santoku (its a pos) just to get an idea of the size and I can see what you mean about the tip. Part of the major appeal of gyutos is the thinner tip whereas a santoku is more of a stump.

I'll take a look at some 180 gyutos then. I have a 180 petty already and whilst its okay it has a tiny handle and is a narrow blade. Its pretty awkward for board work

Back