Scimitar - A New Project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could use a boner for the lamb but a scimitar makes short work of it when you have a bunch to do. Notice I use my cheapest one?

We used to sharpen ours on the back of an electric can opener, when I was in the game. So, what, 800 grit, max? That was a tip from a butcher of over 50 years. Old-school and primitive, but it worked surprisingly well.

These look really nice, Marko.

The scimitar is going out to a pro user for testing and feedback. Once I get feedback, I will make one for a lottery.

20140131_231444_resized_1.jpg

I can't believe I missed this whole thread. Strong work and great input. I want to see this knife.

k

Last edited by a moderator:
The scimitar I am sending out for testing has a couple of tweaks that make sense to me, looking forward to the feedback. The handle is a man-handle, as suggested and coca-cola shape. Also look forward to the feedback.

OK, the scimitar is on its way to the tester, who also happened to have a birthday today. :)

Look forward to the feedback and suggestions for improvement. It's an exciting knife to make and I look forward to work on a version 2.0, as well as a 8" scimitar-shaped breaking knife. .

If you get the 8" breaking knife going I would be interested in wringing it out. The best shapes for it would be forschner or wenger. Great profiles but steel could be a whole lot better. I'll try to post some pics.

Heat treated several of these, not am thinking about size of the handle (as Salty put it, man-hanlde). It's going to be an oversize handle, but I am not sure if I should still do coca-cola shape, or just rounded corners, western.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marko

Rounded western. A thumb knurl on top of the handle towards the choil would be helpful as well. Some cuts need the 'cocking a pistol' grip, to get more power IMO.

Rounded western. A thumb knurl on top of the handle towards the choil would be helpful as well. Some cuts need the 'cocking a pistol' grip, to get more power IMO.

Do you have a picture of "thumb knurl"? Not sure what it is. Also, how thick should a good handle be? I have seen a couple that were about 3/4 thick. I was thinking making the handle closer to 1" thick or so.

The blades are 12-13" long.

M

Maybe knurl, wasn't the best terminology(haven't had my coffee yet), think thumb rest. My kits at work, so I'm not sure about thickness. But at least 1 inch.

I might start with a basic handle, and then work up adding elements like thumb rest. I haven't seen it on kitchen knives, so it is hard for me to visualize how it would look like. I think what you are referring to is a feature on folders. If it's on the blade side, I don't see why I can't do it, but I would need a little more input on it from the pros.

M

It's the best way I could think of describing it. One of the generic scimitars we get from the knife service at work has this on the handle. Which would be useful if the rest of the handle/knife didn't suck. It's basically just a slightly raised portion on top of the handle behind the choil. To get a long stroke, or power through some items you need to choke further back on the handle(hammer grip).

It would be very helpful if you could take a picture of that setup. If I have a visual reference, I could replicate it.

I prefer coco cola as during pull cuts it gives you the best grip, hand doesn't feel like it wants to slip off the end of the handle.

There's a dimple on the top of some handles for the thumb. They're usually more pronounced on plastic handles. (Sorta like Dick "ergo" handles) Wood handles tend to be more subtle. You have to be aware some force is used in the handling of these knives, hence the "man handle". The thumb placement adds force. So a comfy place is nice but not mandatory. Although any handle should give a nod to the thumb.

IMO.

P.S. I say the same thing about the pinky on gyutos.

I wasn't really paying attention earlier. By rounded western, I thought you meant your latest western style. Your latest style is the one I'd go with, just modified slightly.

I wasn't really paying attention earlier. By rounded western, I thought you meant your latest western style. Your latest style is the one I'd go with, just modified slightly.

I will make an oversize coca-cola shape, aiming for a good grip.

I am finishing up my first production (up to this point, all were prototypes) scimitar. Would like to make a video of quick performance demonstration. What can I cut that is not meat - sorry don't do many primal and sub-primal cuts in the shop, to approximate a scimitar performance?:D

The geometry is S grind, the blade is stiff on the spine, but thin below, about 13" long on the edge, with oversize western handle. Thickness above the edge is comparable to old US-made pro scimitars. The profile is 1:1 copy of the old scimitar I have. 52100 with 62.5-63RC hardness, about .007-.010 at the edge.

I am way behind my work to send my finished blades for testing and video at the moment, so this knife will go directly to the knife lottery winner - daveb, but before I send out, I would like to make a quick demo.

hmmm... maybe long draw cuts on a huge eggplant haha?

I clean plenty of 107 rib eyes if you need some help or just have an extra

Back