Seattle Area Knife/Kitchen Thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since i started this thread, i'll start. I recently had a good experience with Epicurean Edge in Kirkland. I had emailed them confirming the KKF member discount (10%) and decided that instead of just buying online, i'd go into the store and check out what i wanted to buy- Yoshikane 210 K-tip SKD. People were polite, helpful and not pushy. After telling the salesman that i wanted it and was going looking around, he said that he was going to the back and see what other stock they had available in the same item. One measured taller and longer, so i took that. It was nice touch, since it's something I hadn't thought about and he'd done without me asking.

Daniel is a great guy. Goes above and beyond and is happy to do it.

We have a lot of smiths around here. NW Blacksmith Association is a good source.

Work gave us free classes at Pratt Center, but both are shut down for so awhile I've been considering taking a course from someone there instead.

EE is pretty cool. Recently picked up a Ryusen from them at a killer price. I mean they are a little over priced normally but with the 10% off it got brought down a decent amount.

as far as sharpeners go, I’ve always liked going to Bob over at Seattle knife sharpening. He’s right next to my store and he’s a nice guy, also 10% off and priority for cooks. Though I don’t take my knives there ever since I learned to sharpen myself, but an easy out for big chips and broken tips.

I ended up making my own sharpening system that uses small stones. It works really well but it does take a fair amount of time to sharpen a knife. With the type I built you sharpen one side at a time but I can get my knives very sharp now.

For sharpening there's also Seattle Edge. Albert is really nice, has great supplies, and has some real passion for knives you don't see in many shops. Puts a mean edge on too. Has some razor resources as well. Very down to earth, someone I want to support.

EE has a great selection for sure. He also has a special TF line that's more highly finished, and theoretically he's been more selective choosing then. You will pay dearly though. The dog is really sweet.

Hey y’all,

Yup, I’m about 20 miles north of Seattle in the ‘burbs. Michael Rader and Ian Haburn are both in Washington.

Not my speed, but Maumasi is also here. Lisch might be, but can’t remember if he’s just over the border into Montana.

Bob is a nice guy, trained with Kramer and used to be really accessible, no reason to think that it's changed. The woodwoork store down on Corson has some exotic knife handle blanks and they guys at Crosscut have been decent when I've talked to them. This is coming from a non woodworking guy.

As to smiths I'm unsure of who/what is around for that. I've wanted to go check out Pratt a few times but never have and not sure when it'll be available again. Some of the maker spaces are supposed to have access to some fun stuff.

Hey y’all,

Yup, I’m about 20 miles north of Seattle in the ‘burbs. Michael Rader and Ian Haburn are both in Washington.

Not my speed, but Maumasi is also here. Lisch might be, but can’t remember if he’s just over the border into Montana.
You’re in the north end too? I’m moving to Lynnwood next month

EE has a great selection for sure. He also has a special TF line that's more highly finished, and theoretically he's been more selective choosing then. You will pay dearly though. The dog is really sweet.
Their copies look really clean, for sure. Didn't know they were special.

As to smiths I'm unsure of who/what is around for that. I've wanted to go check out Pratt a few times but never have and not sure when it'll be available again. Some of the maker spaces are supposed to have access to some fun stuff.
It's pretty cool, and you get a discount if you buy an annual membership.

You’re in the north end too? I’m moving to Lynnwood next month
Toward Everett or Edmonds? Waterfront at both have a lot going on in summer.

Hi folks, I'm more active on Reddit, but a friend there pinged me for this thread. I'm in Bellevue, but hadn't heard of Epicurean Edge yet - looks like they've got some genuinely interesting items in stock.

Anybody have a local sharpening shop that does good work with heavier jobs? I've got a few project knives that need considerable thinning; considering throwing in the towel and sending to someone with a good wheel setup.

Seattle bois represent. I'm way more active in the reddit community but I too have been pinged.

EE is nice, decent selection at a wide range of price points, especially for lefty SB knives which you dont see too often. Main guy is definitely passionate about knives and knowledgeable, but can be very lecturey and not pick up when he's talking to people that also have some knowledge, I want to nerd out, not be talked at lol.

I'd definitely rec Bob at seattle knife sharpening for any heavy lifting jobs. Will convex your western beaters and make them actually perform well and is super reasonable with pricing. Wait times can be long but definitely worth it. I dont know how he does with finer sharpening/stone work as I just sharpen my own, but I'm sure it's good based off of the grinder work he does.

I also really like the guys at Seattle Edge, super into knives and sharpening and it's fun to geek out with them. You can tell they are used to putting on edges for "general usage" as they are a bit thicker and robust behind the edge and at higher angles than I'd personally go, but I can see how they dont want people returning with a chipped knives thinking it's their fault. Also a decent selection of naniwa products and a few knives on hand. Also will let you make some test cuts on some actual food, definitely a fun little shop.

As far as smiths I'd second the cool stuff going on through Pratt, got to do a little class with my work as well. I know there's a shop in Ballard and a guy from out on one of the islands comes through the farmers markets from time to time, I forget names tho.

I would not rec the shop down by Pike's, small selection and mediocre knives for the most part.

If I think of anything else I'll try to comment back in

As far as smiths I'd second the cool stuff going on through Pratt, got to do a little class with my work as well. I know there's a shop in Ballard and a guy from out on one of the islands comes through the farmers markets from time to time, I forget names tho.
Ballard shop is David Tuthill. I really want one of his forged integral bolsters. He teaches some classes I'm interested in checking out.

I would not rec the shop down by Pike's, small selection and mediocre knives for the most part.

Guessing you're referring to Andy Gladish (Element Fe). Not really my style, but makes some interesting stuff.

Last I saw, the Pike shop (Seattle Cutlery) was pretty much exclusively Tojiro with no real price benefit over Amazon/online-only vendors. Hard pass.

You guys nailed both of the Smiths. Yeah element fe was definitely a more western style maker, but the knives looked to be of quality from few that I saw.

Tuthill’s stuff does look good. Seen some recent stuff on IG.

For heavy lifts I can’t be arsed to deal with, I typically send my knives out. @Forty Ounce is in Oregon and does stellar work.

Tuthill’s stuff does look good. Seen some recent stuff on IG.

For heavy lifts I can’t be arsed to deal with, I typically send my knives out. @Forty Ounce is in Oregon and does stellar work.
I was just about to ask which one of you I can pay to fix some of my bad polishing 😂

Hi folks, I'm more active on Reddit, but a friend there pinged me for this thread. I'm in Bellevue, but hadn't heard of Epicurean Edge yet - looks like they've got some genuinely interesting items in stock.

Anybody have a local sharpening shop that does good work with heavier jobs? I've got a few project knives that need considerable thinning; considering throwing in the towel and sending to someone with a good wheel setup.

Albert thinned a knife for me and did a full refinish on scotch Brite belts, if that's your flavor. Not necessarily cheap if it's a hard mono steel, but an option. EE may do it but I would suspect a higher price tag.

Lisch is in WA as well, very skilled in steel and construction, working on grinds. He made the $1,000 damascus pizza cutter for reference. I think his apprentice C.Luis Pina is in WA as well....?

I just moved apartments and there happens to be a custom garage maker around the corner named Al.... It'll come to me what his last name is, who is doing really clean work in interesting steel (s30/60/90v). I'll have to look into it. He's an old school dude from Boeing, milling machine, two 2x72s on VFD, two wheels and buffers. Mirror polishing as well. More of a knife show vibe but you never know.

Also, whoever says Maumasi isn't his style? What is your style?

I wish those guys did mono more. I'm not a fan of the busy damascus most of them come in, but love everything else.

Made the Lisch @captaincaed had up tempting...but they don't make many 270s it seems either. I'm just not their target audience, sadly.

Yeah busy damascus seems like more of a maintenance chore than anything. Beautiful but you have to really love that damn knife.
The Yoshi black damascus is my exception since you maintain the wide bevel like any other, and the knife stays looking nice. Should never have sold the second one.

Yoshi black Dammy is, IMO, the closest I have ever experienced to a “perfect knife.”

North side, best side. I'm in Lake Forest Park, cool to know whatever direction I throw a whetstone it can hit a sharp knife.

Back