Seattle Area Knife/Kitchen Thread!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in Seattle for years. I miss it, but I traded it in for the Palm trees and sun, and there’s no going back. Still live on the best coast, so don’t hate bros.

I had to shake my head at some of the news that was going around.
Imagine me handing out sandwiches to protestors, who were literally sitting and watching a documentary, then seeing the Fox News take of a Mad Max dystopia on my Facebook feed. I don't even follow their page...it was paid advertising lol

Does anyone know a good leatherworker around? I'm looking for someone to make a sheath for a field knife I have.
If you give MacPhearson’s Leather a call they will send you in the right direction. I don’t think they do any work themselves since they are a supplier. Great family, I took care of their alarm service for 30 years when I owned my business.

If you give MacPhearson’s Leather a call they will send you in the right direction. I don’t think they do any work themselves since they are a supplier. Great family, I took care of their alarm service for 30 years when I owned my business.
They also sell incredible quality scraps for almost nothing.

Imagine me handing out sandwiches to protestors, who were literally sitting and watching a documentary, then seeing the Fox News take of a Mad Max dystopia on my Facebook feed. I don't even follow their page...it was paid advertising lol
What a great picture you paint. Did you get your picture taken with Raz the warlord rapper? Or maybe you just handed him a sandwich😆

I lived in Seattle for years. I miss it, but I traded it in for the Palm trees and sun, and there’s no going back. Still live on the best coast, so don’t hate bros.
My dad moves down to Palm Desert in the winters and really likes it there. Otherwise he lives near Lake Wenatchee.

They also sell incredible quality scraps for almost nothing.
They always have a good scrap table for sure. Greg the son ran it for years. Then he retired and his sister took over. She is equally kind and was great to work with.

I only went after dark on the second weekend when it got less packed and didn't see anyone from social media...the real warlords were the neverending DJs lol

I haven't visited the shop in awhile but the craftmens from Pike's use a lot of their stuff too.

You mean they aren't planning an overthrow of the government to take my house and give it to colored people?

Capitol Hill sucks. Always has, always will. I used to fight the gutter punks off me in the park while they were wasted on space bags. I do miss going to Cornish tho.

Are there major differences in the techniques of Seattle-style kitchen knife usage inside and outside Capitol Hill?

Well that would require a vote, but they haven’t decided on a system that meets everyone’s needs yet. So yet to be determined as to what the best technique for everyone will eventually be.

I noticed a weird amount of people using vintage bullnoses before the lockdown. Either hipsters, or saw the shankings coming.

This is probably happening everywhere but there has been a noticeable turn toward Japanese style knives, at least at the retail level.

I'd like to replace a handle or two. Any suggestions for who to go to and what do I expect for the cost? Remove and install? The thought has crossed my mind to do it myself but kind of curious what the going rate is.

I'd like to replace a handle or two. Any suggestions for who to go to and what do I expect for the cost? Remove and install? The thought has crossed my mind to do it myself but kind of curious what the going rate is.
Not exactly local, but I just sent off a knife to Shi.han in New Mexico and it cost about $60 for the handle and return shipping for him to put one of his stock ash handles on it! I love it and would recommend it. He does custom options as well for an added cost, but I'd reach out to him as he is a pleasure to deal with.

Have you checked out: Kitchen Knife Forums
or Shop Talk ?

If this kind of cross-posting is not allowed, I apologize, moderators and feel free to remove.
That's something that most makers can do, and there are other forums that cater to makers:
BladeForums.com
https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/
If you want to do this yourself, there are many places to purchase handle materials. For example: For Sale: Knifemaking Supplies & Tools

If all else fails, and you are willing to ship the knives, I have plenty of stabilized maple (dyed, curly, burls, with/without spalting) and could probably do this fairly inexpensively.

I'm pretty sure Epic Edge will do it, they're generally on the upper end of market prices.
Seattle Edge may do it, not sure. Worth a call, Albert's a nice guy.
Seattle Sharpening likes to stick to their mission statement, I don't think he wants to mess with handles.
Portland knife house probably does it as well if you're up for a little drive.

Knifemakers sometimes do this type of work, but that's really hit or miss. If you find anyone local and eager to do so, I'd certainly be curious to know. I have one piece I'd like done.

I bought a wa handle from epicurean edge and had them install on a Tanaka b2 210 gyuto that I thought went very nice. Pretty sure I could have just paid the $35 install cost with my own handle too. They used a burn in method and I think it took them about 4 days to get it done though you can pay a fee to expedite. Likely quicker turnaround if sharpening queues are short right now

For real come over I can show you how to do it it’s easy

Not exactly local, but I just sent off a knife to Shi.han in New Mexico and it cost about $60 for the handle and return shipping for him to put one of his stock ash handles on it! I love it and would recommend it.
But you fell out of love and sold it... It's a good looking grip. Might have to send one down there.

Back