Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received the shig yani from Japan Woodworker. Shipping box had next to no packing materials, and the knife was just sitting loose in the knife box itself. And as a consequence the last millimeter of so of the tip is missing/bent, and there's a series of abrasions just below the shinogi on the blade road that I couldn't quite capture in the pics. I haven't contacted them yet but I'm on the fence about whether I should ask for a refund or see if they're willing to pay for repairs/refinishing. ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1438978631.575398.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1438978661.109479.jpg

Thats really crappy. Nothings worse then waiting for something and then it shows up damaged. I would ask for a refund, even if they repair the knife it will always have the first impression of disappointment. Keep us informed on how they take care of you.

Just received the shig yani from Japan Woodworker. Shipping box had next to no packing materials, and the knife was just sitting loose in the knife box itself. And as a consequence the last millimeter of so of the tip is missing/bent, and there's a series of abrasions just below the shinogi on the blade road that I couldn't quite capture in the pics. I haven't contacted them yet but I'm on the fence about whether I should ask for a refund or see if they're willing to pay for repairs/refinishing. View attachment 28590View attachment 28591

Ouch, and I have been on the fence about ordering from them as they still have some left. But getting that knife all the way to Canada would probably prove even more damaging.

Man that sucks.

I bought this "practice" Yanagiba off Rakuten for not a lot of money. The quality of the blade aside(which is actually pretty good), the packing was excellent. The box it came in could have fit probably 15 or 20 of the yanagiba boxes in it. It was full of packing material, and the saya was sitting in the material with the yanagiba in the box. How retailers ship their products really show how much they care sometimes.

damn....u should ask for refund. Also the blade doesn't looks like brand new to me, it feels like someone else had sharpen it before.

That's a bummer. I just got a saya nomi and a saw from them that was packed well. I'd ask for it to be replaced.

FWIW I had a Shig related incident w JW that was 100% not their fault (UPS lost the package on its way back for a return). They were extremely helpful and I was very happy with how the situation was resolved.

How unfortunate, you'd think that with a knife in the league of a Shigefusa extra cares would be taken.

I know when I received my Shig Suji earlier this week from Maksim it was packaged a lot better, even inside the small knife box itself to prevent it sliding around. My only quibble in my case was the ootb sharpening; the tip is super thin and there is a bit of a foil edge that tore off, but to be honest I don't really care about that.

Hopefully Cheeks' Suji arrived safe and sound too.

Finally had a second to check out their return policy, printed on the invoice, 90 days no questions asked. Gonna mail it back on Monday, right after I implore them to re-evaluate their packing procedures. Some extra padding around the knife to keep it from slipping, and extra packing material in the shipping container would have prevented all of this. It's so depressing to see all of the hard work to produce a beautiful, highly functional tool, brought low by sheer neglect. I have to wonder if they have a new person on staff or something, as I've never heard anything but positive feedback concerning their service.

My only quibble in my case was the ootb sharpening; the tip is super thin and there is a bit of a foil edge that tore off, but to be honest I don't really care about that..

That's somewhat of a surprise to hear. I've owned three and thought the initial edges were all nice though one of the knives micro-chipped pretty bad before my initial sharpening.

Perhaps I'm confusing the meaning of the term, but it seems like is what is described in this thread:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/23600-quot-Microserrations-quot-after-sharpening

Overall the sharpening job is pretty good, just one small section (few mm) about a 1/2" from the tip. It's pretty thin and flexible here, so I can see how it could've happened. Overall I can't complain really. Shigefusa knives will eventually become rarer once they're no longer made so I feel fortunate to own some. Gotta get something in Kitaeji at some point to round out the set.

Havox can you use your visa gift card towards this :razz:

Oh god i've been talking to So-San for weeks and I'm pretty tempted, although on a students budget both he and I agree I should maybe aim for the kasumi model. :D

I wanted one of the 180mm Kasumi pettys but they were gone less than 10 minutes after I got the email....

Ah man 10mins. I saw it an hour after, dropped everything I was doing in the kitchen, took out my cc only to find it was already gone

Japanwoodworker has Shigefusas on sale, looks like 15% off a number of models. Don't know if they are in stock, but worth checking out if you're in the market for a Shig.

Can I show this one off again???

View attachment 29083

no shame.

Of course.

But that was from a few months' wait order, wasn't it? Not quite impromptu purchase when alert goes off. Maxim had two other Shigs up recently that I just cried, too big for me: kitaeji deba 240 and chasm mioroshi deba 240.

It's a nice 180 petty nevertheless.

On the topic of rare knife alerts, I recently bought the 240 Kato workhorse gyuto from JNS that showed up last week. The only problem was that someone else did too :(

I got the email while eating breakfast and jumped at it; got it added to my cart, thru checkout, PayPal and confirmation email but I was using my iPhone so had some lag during the process. I knew I couldn't be the only one trying to get it so I was kinda surprised that it went thru, got an email from Maksim apologizing for everything and got refunded thru PayPal. Next time I'll have to be faster.

I didn't leave totally empty handed… I did pickup an ebony nickel-silver handle

I could really really use a 180-240 shig petty/suji for work. Anyone seen one of these out there in the wild? super rare pokemon.

Back