Shig clone in mono stainless like AEB-L

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there must be some variance in this...I've had a couple and my gyuto seemed to be no more reactive than most carbons I've used. Never had any issues with food being discolored, and I have had issues with other knives doing this.

When i worked as Chef i used to give my students very reactive Carbon knives, it teached them cleanness. If it discolored food and get rusted then it was they fault not knives.
In the and they had much more respect for all knives SS or carbon. And also they working aria become much more cleaner :D

I think there must be some variance in this...I've had a couple and my gyuto seemed to be no more reactive than most carbons I've used. Never had any issues with food being discolored, and I have had issues with other knives doing this.

i would agree with the variance. I have a couple shigs i use in my rotation and i noticed the kasumi i have is a bit less reactive than the kitaeji fwiw. The kitaeji i have is a yo handle integral and i was forced to patina the tang because it would develop orange dots/pits from handling. Beautiful knife but can be high maintenance. I do have a kitaeji deba and hav not had issues at all with that one but i only use it to butcher fish but it stays pretty wet the whole time until im done and so far no issues (knock on wood) a little patina has set over time but nothing extreme like rust spots or pitting so far.

Not sure if others experience is the same i always just chalked it up to maybe more reactive iron for the kitaeji cladding. Both mine i forced a patina when i used them regularly and it helped a lot with reactivity and discoloring food. When new onions and cabbage really stunk when cut with either i noticed this also on a fowler w2 gyuto i used to own. I forced a mustard patina and sharpened the edge to a really high polish and it was less reactive after that though i didnt use it much after.

I have heard some say that kitaeji is more reactive and others say its less. In fact the same could be said about the brand. Some find it very reactive others state it's no worse then other carbon knives. Maybe it just comes down to people's habits and/or expectations.

Back