Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with the fact that people that have 0 heritage and 0 experience [compared with japanese] with the subject as a whole, want to charge more money just cause of the better materials used. The thing is with western world, we want to change everything to suit our ways.
"The knife is too hard?It must mean the maker did something wrong, not the user. Lets change the ways of the maker then." Very arrogant.

Plus is there any single one maker from anywhere outside Japan on here that is making knives in second generation, and thats his only occupation? In other words, is there anyone who did it all his life with love cause his father did it all his life with love?
Just asking:yammer:

But in the same time I feel like the craftsmen that charge for a blade more than 1000 USD do it because they can.

I dont really think it involves sooooooooo much more work for Iizuka to build a "damascus" cladding in terms of workhours to explain such high price.
Is it the materials? I dont think so.

that is just not true ! He spend much more time on damascus cladding then on Kasumi and integral bolster is made out of one peace so shaping and polishing is much more time consuming then wa handled. Believe me when i get 10 Shigefusa knives 1 of them will be damascus clad and out of 50 damascus there will be only 1 with integral bolster and its because it is so difficult to make and much more damascus go to use ! Witch he also fold him self with 2 kind of iron used one hard and one soft
If he do it because he can, he will have made many more integral bolster knives

But in the same time I feel like the craftsmen that charge for a blade more than 1000 USD do it because they can.

I dont really think it involves sooooooooo much more work for Iizuka to build a "damascus" cladding in terms of workhours to explain such high price.
Is it the materials? I dont think so.

I personally do not have the knowledge base to discuss the qualities of each individual knife, but do think that this is like any other business and the issue becomes supply vs demand. I am not taking away from the skillset, but like anything else it really seems to be about perceived value.
Cheers!

It is so difficult to capture clouds in the picture ! And i am really suck at taking pictures

Here is 2 latest Westerns Kasumi integral by Yosihide Sujis 270mm All is pending for now
I get some petty on website later when i am done with Handles.
Who need Kitaeji :razz:
P.S. That is the wildest clouds i have seen on Western knives from them
pettys and Sujiki have them on cladding only

if you guys have some tips how to take better pictures of clouds please let me know !! :O lightning, settings etc.

IMGP5190.jpg

IMGP5187.jpg

Oh super cool.

For cloud picture taking, I have found that I had better success outdoor, in a shade, not in direct sun light and use the cloud surface as as reflecting surface. I think the idea was to highlight the lines with the reflectance from bright sky, but keeps the rest in the shade to increase the contrast.

And the old handy tip, use tripod, small aperture, and low iso setting.

Code:
Sky    Camera
  \      /
   \    /
    \  /
     \/
Shig Cloud Surface

The could in this KU petty was taken in the manner.
ku_petty2.jpg

Hope you get the idea.

I did try outdoor, but i think in the dark with black background and light i have better results.
Need to find out how they take photos of Katana :nunchucks:

Is the finish in schanop's photo typical of what one should expect from a Shig KU? I recently purchased a KU santoku from Rakuten, and the finish was much less refined and polished than that in schanop's photo. If there are any clouds there, they are hidden by the scratches.

ShigKU2.jpg

Maybe I just need to get some finger stones and polish it up a bit?

Is the finish in schanop's photo typical of what one should expect from a Shig KU? I recently purchased a KU santoku from Rakuten, and the finish was much less refined and polished than that in schanop's photo. If there are any clouds there, they are hidden by the scratches.

Maybe I just need to get some finger stones and polish it up a bit?
In order to find out if your knife has clouds you need to polish on natural stones, it will never show with synthetics.

2x Masayuki KU Santokus 165mm
Elder sons Knives made in Shigefusa workshop see the light on the internet :D
This are made about 15 years ago and is Old new stock knives

Only 2 available !

IMGP5260.JPG

IMGP5262.JPG

No i believe Shigefusa was single beveled this one is double :)

great Kanji , not kitaeji and handmade , not stamp Kanji =)

Got a little bit of cloud (usually it is sunny here in Sydney, like today) in the bolster. This is OOTB, so with more polishing, cloud might show up a bit more.

shigefusa_gyuto_0.jpg

i kinda want to see if i can get clouds with my Shig, now, but wet/dry is so quick for refinishing, that i don't know if i have the patience to work with my various finger stones.

The 210 mm Gyutos i got was very very hard to see the clouds so i thought there was non at start. Then at night i wanted to sharpen some of them and they showed up :D
So you can better see them at night with artificial lightning !

I will try to experiment how to bring them best out

Curious if the sons will be making wa gyuto's with their kanji anytime soon?

There will be maybe some available :D

Shigefusa announcement !!!
I think very soon i can start to make some new orderes for Shigefusa knives :D

So please if any of you have some wishes for Shigefusa knives next year post them here. I will try to order them here in December !!! They will be finished by next year :D

Knife Type, Size, KU, Kitaeji, Kasumi etc.

Just type in what you will be interested to buy next year !!

Back