Shigefusas at Rakuten

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased a 210 kasumi gyuto. I've missed my 240mm Shig for quite a while now and I love the craftsmanship these knives possess so I couldn't help myself even thou I'm not a big Japanese knife guy--Shigefusa is truly the exception for me.

I decided on 210 this time because my 240 ran long by about 15mm. I'm hoping the 210 will be closer to 220-225.

I think this nshinkai guy and Maksim are buying everything Shigefusa makes. If you count the number of knives "left in stock," nshinkai at Rakuten has 30!

My 210 from Maksim is 210mm from tip to machi (which is perfect for me). I hope yours is longer, if that's what you're looking for.

I think this nshinkai guy and Maksim are buying everything Shigefusa makes. If you count the number of knives "left in stock," nshinkai at Rakuten has 30!

My 210 from Maksim is 210mm from tip to machi (which is perfect for me). I hope yours is longer, if that's what you're looking for.

To be honest that 10-15mm does not feel different to me in use. Moreover, I've wanted to get an 8" knife for a while now.

just a quick question, the store in the OP says, "if beautiful finish is very important for you, I do not recommend Shigefusa". why is that? i always thought that shigefusa was sublime, or is this only true for the blades, and not F&F for example?

Keen eyes, daddy yo yo. The statement has recently appeared in the past month or two.

Its because some costumers expect total Perfection from a Handmade knife :) Not that it is a bad thing. But its just impossible, there will always be some miner mistakes in they knives. Like bit misplaced Kanji, some minor polishing issues etc.
Shigefusa try to make perfect knives in a straightness, grind, heat tread kind of way and FF is just side product. But some expect it to be perfect in FF too so i think thats why

We just have different opinions what is good FF :) Thats it, and again it is not a bad thing
For example i have seen Shigefusas with irregular cladding where cladding get polished out in some places some makers do that on purpose but for some it looks like bad FF, i personally like it :D

We just have different opinions what is good FF :)

I wasn't complaining about the fit and finish of my gyuto, quite the opposite. I think it's the best I've ever seen (not that I have seen all that much compared to you and others). Maybe I got lucky.

I think the Ratuken notice is up there for 2 reasons. For example, if people read this forum, where excited new Shig owners extoll the fabulous finish of their knives, people might imagine that when they get their own that it'll really knock their socks off too, and it might for some but might not for others. So this is similar to what's been said, especially if people aren't used to handmade items and have unrealistic expectations. Another reason I think is that perhaps the Ratuken seller has had a tough experience or two with foreign customers and complaints and so is being really cautious. Logically there should be a lot more sellers that operate directly out of Japan, but due to the language and cultural differences, and also because Japanese can be quite sensitive and want everything to be 100% correct, I think few do and those who might are also hesitant or cautious about how they go about it.

As for imperfect Shigs, I love the d-shaped handle on my gyuto - knife bought from Japan - but it was fitted on the blade at a slight angle. It bothered me a bit at first because it wasn't 'perfect' but it's hardly something anyone would notice and it does nothing to change its performance, and so I don't care anymore.

I know :)
I just refer why he wrote that. like Patatas Bravas say it is much more difficult for Japanese to handle those kind of things
And Shigefusa now got so much expectations that in real world just not realistic

I wasn't complaining about the fit and finish of my gyuto, quite the opposite. I think it's the best I've ever seen (not that I have seen all that much compared to you and others). Maybe I got lucky.

Maxim - maybe you have an idea?

I noticed the photo of (I think) 2 older Shigefusa on your blog of your recent trip. Did you find out how old they were? I'm curious how Shigefusa have changed, maybe improved, over time. I don't know when foreign customers started to buy them, but perhaps this has influenced some change and improvement?

I've seen lots of Japanese that might be great performers, but which don't have the best finishes. Perhaps if kitchen knives are viewed often as practical tools, there hasn't always been as much emphasis on having excellent finishes, but maybe foreign expectations have influenced some makers.

Old shigefusa FF was much more worse then now, they was about 30 years old and was very rough both spine and choil. Shigefusa have improved a lot sins then !
And i think it is not overseas costumers influents but they own :) Shigefusa them self actually dont care so much about overseas costumer as they never sell direct to them.

Also Japanese costumers do not complane about same things as we do here, FF issues is not important for them as it is for us here. They look more at steel and performance of the knife then its FF. As i been told there was never complain in japan about bit weird kanji or slightly rough choil etc.

Old shigefusa FF was much more worse then now ... Also Japanese costumers do not complane about same things as we do here, FF issues is not important for them as it is for us here. They look more at steel and performance of the knife then its FF. As i been told there was never complain in japan about bit weird kanji or slightly rough choil etc.

Yes, that was my impression about this too! Good FF is nice, but of course the steel & performance are what you (should) buy it for. Also, I have never heard of a Japanese getting custom handles. Different tastes, indeed.

Back