Shotguns

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For fun, 12 ga. Pigeon Grade Browning Superposed, Broadway Trap, bought 35 years ago when they didn't cost more than a decent car and before I was on S.S.

For home protection, still 1911 .45 Colt auto. Why? Cause ya' never know. ;-)

In the news this week a southern California man was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and had (by rough estimate) 1-million rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also has a secret escape tunnel. The television reporter said: "Wow! He has about a million machine gun bullets" and the headline referred to it as a "massive weapons cache".

By California standards someone even owning 100,000 rounds would be called "mentally unstable."
If he lived elsewhere, such as Arizona he'd be called "an avid gun collector". In Arkansas, he'd be called "a novice gun collector".
In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared", but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.
In Montana, he'd be called "The neighborhood 'Go-To' guy".
In Idaho, he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate".
In Wyoming, he'd be called "an eligible bachelor" and, in Texas and Wisconsin, he'd be called "A huntin' buddy."
:shotgun: :gun1:

Ha ha. In Washington State (on the Seattle side) I believe it is against the law to even say "gu......

I've owned both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 over the years. I still have the Mossberg and every bit as many upgrades for it as the Remington 870. I also had a Saiga for a while and loved it. Now I have two a Stoeger Coach length 20 ga side x side and a 12 ga Liberty (no sold by CZ) 24" barrel, double hammer/trigger setup that is fun for cowboy action shooting.

libertyflrt.jpg

In the area of guns, nothin' cooler than cowboy shotguns. "Keep the change, Bob" ;-) ~~Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

When was the last time you heard of a dingo eating one of our babies? :biggrin:
Guy's my post was a bit cheeky please dis-regard if you're offended.

Yes I know well the differences in attitudes to firearms between our localities.

Rowan...

Remington 870. Took out the plug and keep it loaded with 6 rounds of 00 buck. No little ones around here and I'm sure the dog won't pull it out to play with it. Sure would like a .40 cal pistol or a 1911 .45.

A barking dog will only do so much but a barking shotgun means business!

In the news this week a southern California man was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and had (by rough estimate) 1-million rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also has a secret escape tunnel. The television reporter said: "Wow! He has about a million machine gun bullets" and the headline referred to it as a "massive weapons cache".

By California standards someone even owning 100,000 rounds would be called "mentally unstable."
If he lived elsewhere, such as Arizona he'd be called "an avid gun collector". In Arkansas, he'd be called "a novice gun collector".
In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared", but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.
In Montana, he'd be called "The neighborhood 'Go-To' guy".
In Idaho, he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate".
In Wyoming, he'd be called "an eligible bachelor" and, in Texas and Wisconsin, he'd be called "A huntin' buddy."
:shotgun: :gun1:

You mean something like this?
100_2730.jpg 100_2741.jpg

Heh...for those who think this is paranoid, we'll see who is laughing when the zombie apocalypse comes. LOL

Well you know what they say, if you own a gun no need to feel paranoid. :wink:

This was a very moving thread. My thoughts after reading:
1) I need to move to the US
2) Anyone who tries to rob a chef, between the kniferoll and the guns, is a certified idiot
3) Only in Wisconsin are they truly prepared for the Zombie apocalypse

This was a very moving thread. My thoughts after reading:
1) I need to move to the US
2) Anyone who tries to rob a chef, between the kniferoll and the guns, is a certified idiot
3) Only in Wisconsin are they truly prepared for the Zombie apocalypse

Actually if one stays out of the North East and Pacific West coasts most are really prepared for a Zombie apocalypse. Kentucky by the way is among the better states for gun lovers.

I have 2 .45 acp revolvers, one with glazers and one with hydroshocks. Not shotguns, butt close in effect.

Home defense I have a charles daly 20ga. I got a 20ga since my girl can use it if needed it is carrying 6 remington 2 3/4" #3 buck.

20ga is just about as effective at typical home defense ranges as 12ga, and it's a lot less likely to punch through the wall. good choice!

Great choice of ammo for revolvers. I don't use Glasers in semi autos, and Hydroshocks are still my favorite. Clearly Glasers are the best choice for people who don't live alone or have close neighbors.

i still like good ol' Golden Sabers. i've seen nothing but good expansion and good penetration in .45 ACP.

I've been using Speer Gold Dots in both my 9mm and 45 acp for a while now. A LEO buddy turned me on to them some time ago as they was his standard issue.

Any of the newer stuff is adequate compared to what we used years ago. I was a deputy sheriff for 12 years, and it was only toward the last few years that really good ammo was available.

Any of the newer stuff is adequate compared to what we used years ago. I was a deputy sheriff for 12 years, and it was only toward the last few years that really good ammo was available.

True and most of the new JHP is excellent and really hard to pick one over the other anymore. In my day it was Beretta loaded with what ever was issued.

True and most of the new JHP is excellent and really hard to pick one over the other anymore. In my day it was Beretta loaded with what ever was issued.

Hardball is very dangerous, not to the bad guy but the mother and two children behind a the wallboard. Before my backward dept. authorized semi autos ( which to me meant .45 autos...at last, most of us carried .357 which would go through several walls, a couple windows, and a small dog...and still kill Granny.

Hardball is very dangerous, not to the bad guy but the mother and two children behind a the wallboard. Before my backward dept. authorized semi autos ( which to me meant .45 autos...at last, most of us carried .357 which would go through several walls, a couple windows, and a small dog...and still kill Granny.

I experience wasn't in law enforcement or the militry, more like a government contract courier so different set of rules of engagement. A lot of different bullet designs came our way to try out. That was also back in the late 70's early 80's all overseas not in the USA.

Whilst we're talking about shotguns and home security/safety I'm wondering if there's an available wall mountable shotgun rack that's child proof? I know this might be a stupid question to ask but it's been something that's been on my mind and I haven't been able to find an answer for it.

Actually if one stays out of the North East and Pacific West coasts most are really prepared for a Zombie apocalypse. Kentucky by the way is among the better states for gun lovers.

You must not have forgot Maine is a part of the North East.

From a knife maker stand point, reading about guns on a knife forum can be depressing. Do you know how many guns you have to sell to buy a power hammer...milling machine...hydraulic press...kmg... heat treat oven?

I do!:eek2:

Still have enough for the zombies though!

Dave, I have kids, and guns are a huge concern, especially to my wife. I have a small biometric pistol safe (fingerprint reader), which is quickly opened in my nightstand, which I keep a small .380 in, as well as a box of 00 buck and the key to the breech lock for my Mossberg 500 which I keep inside my closet, above the door on hooks; literally invisible. It's impossible to have a loaded gun for home security and have children...this is the best I could come up with. I also keep a well sharpened machette under the mattress, just in case I have no time to reach for a gun. ( I live within the city of Milwaukee; not always the safest place to raise a family, unfortunately)

Back