Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this.
20240129_182407.jpg

Looks amazing! My dad has had a zojirushi bread machine for over a decade as a dough kneader/proofer and it’s built like a tank, solid brand.

Had my eye on a rice cooker to up my game from a pot on the stove. Trying to find one that uses a stainless insert instead of a non-stick coated one is nearly impossible

So, have your burned down your house yet? ;)
No dice....that stove needs a pretty large bore gas hose...11mm or so...and I haven't been able to find an adapter from 3/8 Lefty thread to 11mm hose...so the next bet is an adapter piece to get from whatever connection the original pressure regulator has (lefty thread outside seems to be 1/2" or so) to DIN (inside lefty thread)....

no food tonight ;-)

No dice....that stove needs a pretty large bore gas hose...11mm or so...and I haven't been able to find an adapter from 3/8 Lefty thread to 11mm hose...so the next bet is an adapter piece to get from whatever connection the original pressure regulator has (lefty thread outside seems to be 1/2" or so) to DIN (inside lefty thread)....

no food tonight ;-)
from the look of what I find my best bet for now will likely be a hose adapter going from 6mm ID to 11mm ID...ridiculous

Looks amazing! My dad has had a zojirushi bread machine for over a decade as a dough kneader/proofer and it’s built like a tank, solid brand.

Had my eye on a rice cooker to up my game from a pot on the stove. Trying to find one that uses a stainless insert instead of a non-stick coated one is nearly impossible
I too have their bread machine. It's also about 10 years old. They really do make quality stuff. I have wanted a really nice rice maker for a long time and just found a great deal on it. So far, so good...

Love my Yeti coffee tumblers, but my son discovered a great alternative and graced me with it for my birthday. 16 oz. , ceramic lined, and leak proof. Best part is the insert which greatly enhances coffee flavor since it allows the aroma to come through much better than I get with Yeti. It’s a Fellow Carter Move Mug.

IMG_1472.jpeg
IMG_1466.jpeg
IMG_1469.jpeg

Sometimes the simple things are the best… bought a pair of Hasegawa cutting board lifters for my Asahi cutting board. Excellent pieces of kit. They lift the board up by 4.5cm/1.8”, are very sturdy, and provide excellent grip on both sides so the board ain’t moving at all.

Also, they make stowing that board away a bit easier as they are not fixed. I previously had a set of rubber feet hot glued to the board and they had a tendency to suction themselves to the countertop making removal a bit of a chore (sometimes they were stuck so firmly that they remained on the countertop after I pried the board up).

Shout out to hiomakivi.fi for very fast delivery. :) Specs of the lifters (there are two heights/sizes for this type) can be found at their site or on the internet, just google ”Hasegawa cutting board lifter”.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Oh yeah… I am about 186 cm/6.1” or so tall so lifting that board to a more comfortable height helps.

IMG_6548.jpeg

Steak day today, steak and eggs for breakfast tomorrow…

Rösle fine mesh strainer:

IMG_6378.jpg

That one is considerably better than my old one, mainly because the old one had only a small tab for support opposite the handle:

IMG_6379.jpg

I can't count the number of times that thing accidentally tipped over to one side while perched over the sink or a large bowl, dumping the contents out of the strainer :( The wide support opposite the handle on the Rösle makes that unlikely. I also like the finer mesh. Better when passing sauces and similar jobs.

I can see that thing in my future. Last Christmas I noticed the fineness of the mesh made a huge difference to the end result when I was straining stuff like raspberry sauce.
Just a shame that Rösle stuff is always so damn expensive.

Oh and for what it's worth... if you don't need a fine mesh, the cheap one from Ikea is actually quite decent . Has 2 hooks so I never really had issues with it going anywhere.

https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/idealisk-strainer-stainless-steel-76113785/
They also have a larger model that's sort of a cross between a strainer and a colander that sees a lot of use here. Only downside on that one is that if you slam it too hard onto the trashcan to clean them out eventually the handle welds can fail.... but I still really like them never the less, especially since these are fairly large. Again, fairly wide openings, but if you're straining stock through a piece of cheese cloth (or in my case, disposable haircovers) that doesn't really matter anyway.

https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/idealisk-colander-stainless-steel-20027536/

I can see that thing in my future. Last Christmas I noticed the fineness of the mesh made a huge difference to the end result when I was straining stuff like raspberry sauce.
Just a shame that Rösle stuff is always so damn expensive.
piece of Muslin? I have a rather largish pointy sieve with relatively wide mesh and for the few times I need a real clear broth I simply line it with some Muslin/Linen cloth (after a first pass to get out larger particles as otherwise the cloth gets clogged fast)

edit; LOL great find, disposable haircovers...nice idea

piece of Muslin? I have a rather largish pointy sieve with relatively wide mesh and for the few times I need a real clear broth I simply line it with some Muslin/Linen cloth (after a first pass to get out larger particles as otherwise the cloth gets clogged fast)
The problem with straining the berry sauces was that you have a fairly thick fluid with little seeds in it, so straining it through a piece of cloth or haircover like I usually do for stock isn't really a solution. Especially since you have really small volumes so you don't want to waste half of it getting stuck in the cloth.

Yeah you are right there. I typically wring out the juice, with a cloth that works, a haircover is likely too fragile...

I actually stopped doing that mostly because you'd start squeezing out parts of your aromatics that don't necessarily belong in your stock. :)
Maybe I just squeezed too hard...
The hairnets are great because they are super cheap for a box of 100 and completely disposable. And they work really well since they're very thin and fine. Just don't use oil that's too hot on them...

Admittedly I also just steered away from cheesecloth because they're too expensive to use as disposables I never really saw a good way of cleaning them that kept them 'neutral' in flavor. Sure I can throw them in the laundry machine but I don't want my stock to taste of whatever soap I'm using.

Hi
I actually stopped doing that mostly because you'd start squeezing out parts of your aromatics that don't necessarily belong in your stock. :)
Maybe I just squeezed too hard...
The hairnets are great because they are super cheap for a box of 100 and completely disposable. And they work really well since they're very thin and fine. Just don't use oil that's too hot on them...

Admittedly I also just steered away from cheesecloth because they're too expensive to use as disposables I never really saw a good way of cleaning them that kept them 'neutral' in flavor. Sure I can throw them in the laundry machine but I don't want my stock to taste of whatever soap I'm using.
i get these produce bags at Trader Joe’s. I put grated beets in them, squeeze out the juice (it’s a delicious byproduct) and then throw the dirty bag in the dishwasher. Probably not fine enough for berries but good for something like shrimp shells too

By the way… that berry sauce sounds delicious. Whenever I’ve made it I never strained it through anything so fine
image.jpg

Nitro DS finally arrived. Gonna try it on some cold brew and some flattened soda so I can justify having backed the kickstarter and not feel like an idiot for owning something primarily aimed at the mixed drink market when I drink once a year at most.

All clad factory sale on the waffle maker. Sounds like a bomb proof design from folks reviews online, hard to pass up at 70+% off when the cuisinart Belgian waffle maker I’ve had for years developed a crack in the housing while sitting unused in a cabinet. God I hate products designed to fail. Thermally cycling and mechanically cycling a the hinge housing means it should never have been made of plastic.

Also the all clad butter warmer. Because it was on sale and it’s adorable. Seems like it should be great for sauces, people say it works on the control freak with proper centering so it’ll be nice not making sauce for 20 people when I’m cooking for 2.

Attachments

• IMG_5690.jpeg
    IMG_5690.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5691.jpeg
    IMG_5691.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Nitro DS finally arrived. Gonna try it on some cold brew and some flattened soda so I can justify having backed the kickstarter and not feel like an idiot for owning something primarily aimed at the mixed drink market when I drink once a year at most.

All clad factory sale on the waffle maker. Sounds like a bomb proof design from folks reviews online, hard to pass up at 70+% off when the cuisinart Belgian waffle maker I’ve had for years developed a crack in the housing while sitting unused in a cabinet. God I hate products designed to fail. Thermally cycling and mechanically cycling a the hinge housing means it should never have been made of plastic.

Also the all clad butter warmer. Because it was on sale and it’s adorable. Seems like it should be great for sauces, people say it works on the control freak with proper centering so it’ll be nice not making sauce for 20 people when I’m cooking for 2.
Love waffles! My kids gave me one for Father’s Day, probably about twenty five years ago, I still pull the thing out for any excuse I can think of. Here’s a page from the “owner’s manual” molly made for me back in 2000

Recipe is from the breakfast book. It’s perfect, scale it up one and a half times for eight squares
image.jpg
Enjoy!

#Butterwarmergang

Back