Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been really happy with Cuisipro locking tongs (the plain steel ones). They are made of thinner stock than the Rösle ones but I feel that is an advantage (they feel more precise)… and they are plenty sturdy regardless.

I have like 4 of these... they cost like 4 bucks when on sale. Nothign that can break. I would have preferred them without any coating on the handle (it melts), but other than that they're great. No fancy mechanisms that can break, no 2 piece design where stuff can get loose. You also want to avoid any plastics on the claws since it'll just melt over time (that goes for all cooking utensils...).

Attachments

• 1707259948806.png
    1707259948806.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
As to other cooking utensils. 'One piece construction' seems to always last longest on just about anything.

So wood spatulas should be nothing but wood. Silicone spatulas you also want a seamless design like the ones from Di Oro... way better than the ones with a silicone paddle on a wooden handle. Similar story for all your fancy spoons, scoops, etc...
If it's made of different parts (whether that's metal + plastic or just different parts of metal) there's at least a decent chance it comes loose eventually... it certainly has for a good amount of my stuff.

So for big spoons, scoops and ladles it doesn't particularly matter a whole lot as long as it's a one-piece design. The more basic the better.

If you insist on having something plasticky for the sake of saving your nonstick pans, I'd go with silicone over the plastic/nylon kinds; it tends to last longer...though in my experience they're not buy it for forever either.

If you're any good with chopstick you could also try the giant chopstick route instead of tongs, but I never had the required motor skills.

I’ve been really happy with Cuisipro locking tongs (the plain steel ones). They are made of thinner stock than the Rösle ones but I feel that is an advantage (they feel more precise)… and they are plenty sturdy regardless.
Check out the Winco ones on Amazon. Very well made and reasonably priced. A pair of 7 in. cost me $9 and are the most used in my drawer. Larger ones are $5 to $9 each. I find the locking ones annoying.

As to other cooking utensils. 'One piece construction' seems to always last longest on just about anything.

So wood spatulas should be nothing but wood. Silicone spatulas you also want a seamless design like the ones from Di Oro... way better than the ones with a silicone paddle on a wooden handle. Similar story for all your fancy spoons, scoops, etc...
If it's made of different parts (whether that's metal + plastic or just different parts of metal) there's at least a decent chance it comes loose eventually... it certainly has for a good amount of my stuff.

So for big spoons, scoops and ladles it doesn't particularly matter a whole lot as long as it's a one-piece design. The more basic the better.

If you insist on having something plasticky for the sake of saving your nonstick pans, I'd go with silicone over the plastic/nylon kinds; it tends to last longer...though in my experience they're not buy it for forever either.

If you're any good with chopstick you could also try the giant chopstick route instead of tongs, but I never had the required motor skills.
That makes sense about the one piece construction, something like less faults.

Currently don’t have any non stick pans although might have to pick one up for eggs since I struggle with those on stainless steel. But I have a GIR silicone spatula I could use for that otherwise not worried about being non-stick safe.

Even if you're struggling I'd just keep trying until you get it right, or get something in carbon steel or cast iron that you can season. Non-stick may make it easier / more idiot proof but you don't strictly need them and you can get great if not better results without them...

And yeah less failure points is more better. The most durable parts are the parts that aren't on the product. ;) That's another advantage of cheap tongs without locking mechanism.

That makes sense about the one piece construction, something like less faults.

Currently don’t have any non stick pans although might have to pick one up for eggs since I struggle with those on stainless steel. But I have a GIR silicone spatula I could use for that otherwise not worried about being non-stick safe.
I like to use carbon steel for eggs. They’re not for everyone but once you get them seasoned they’re pretty non stick. Easier than stainless

Even if you're struggling I'd just keep trying until you get it right, or get something in carbon steel or cast iron that you can season. Non-stick may make it easier / more idiot proof but you don't strictly need them and you can get great if not better results without them...
I like to use carbon steel for eggs. They’re not for everyone but once you get them seasoned they’re pretty non stick. Easier than stainless
I have a little carbon steel pan, I'll try using that for eggs. Thanks for the advice!

I have like 4 of these... they cost like 4 bucks when on sale. Nothign that can break. I would have preferred them without any coating on the handle (it melts), but other than that they're great. No fancy mechanisms that can break, no 2 piece design where stuff can get loose.

between these ones, rösle, and cuispro, i actually prefer these cheapo ones. no need for any locking mechanism (did anyone ask for that really?), and as noted thinner and 'precise'.

they can break though, precisely because of the one-piece desgin: metal fatigue in the part where they bend can make them just snap. but for the price that doesn't really matter, especially since their overall functionality actually surpasses the more expensive competition in some respects, imho, ymmw.

Teflon wins for low and slow egg cookery. It's the only thing I need nonstick for. But I'm not making 20 minute scrambled eggs very often.

This one has to been 18 months in the marking. From getting the steel to Andrei, to waiting to waiting to waiting for customs, etc to let it through

It was WORTH the wait. I think it maybe the first one he ever made in MagnaCut

View attachment 298722
Love my Markin! Top three in my collection. I’m sure you will find it was worth the wait.

Wok-ing with 27KW is DEFINITELY vastly different, alone the smoke it produces is impressive ;-0

MacGyvered a solution, illegal likely, but hey, it's all for good foodView attachment 297254

Yesterday I made twice cooked pork (mangalica) and sweet and sour cabbage....this burner is really transforming stir fry, like the pizza oven has transformed pizza...

One drawback, stir frying with a red hot (literally) makes for smelly clothes so I need to look for a full body apron of some sorts or don some stir fry clothes.

Rösle fine mesh strainer:

View attachment 297516

That one is considerably better than my old one, mainly because the old one had only a small tab for support opposite the handle:

View attachment 297517

I can't count the number of times that thing accidentally tipped over to one side while perched over the sink or a large bowl, dumping the contents out of the strainer :( The wide support opposite the handle on the Rösle makes that unlikely. I also like the finer mesh. Better when passing sauces and similar jobs.
have the same. solid👍

Latest addition, jelly roll sheet pan:
IMG_6414.JPG

It's a jelly roll pan because a ½ sheet pan won't cleanly fit into a European oven.

Europe and Australia don't have the sheet pan thing going. It seems to be very much an American thing. In Europe, ovens come with an enamelled heavy baking sheet ("Backblech"). Those always have a rim or a raised center portion to prevent warping, which makes them inconvenient for some things.

I started out with a ¼ sheet pan to give it a try and found that they are useful for a huge number of different jobs. So I added two ⅛ sheet pans, and now the jelly roll pan.

IMG_6416.jpg

Newest?

Bought a new kitchen scale and mixing/measuring bowl yesterday at a Prez-day sale.

My old scale: I had to get my wife to read it. Even with glasses it was a challenge. It’s partial blocked with any bowl on top. Or I had to get a flashlight out. It was getting ridiculous reading the numbers.

IMG_1567.jpeg

The Oxo scale with the pull-out panel is great. I have the previous model (different in cosmetics only, as far as I know).

The Oxo scale with the pull-out panel is great. I have the previous model (different in cosmetics only, as far as I know).
its head and shoulders over my old unit.

I think your's, the older generation had a switch to turn on a backlight? mine doesnt. I get a dim backlight from the get go. I don't think I will use the pull out much..no? do you? even with my Giant bowl, I can see the generous display easily.

its head and shoulders over my old unit.

I think your's, the older generation had a switch to turn on a backlight? mine doesnt. I get a dim backlight from the get go. I don't think I will use the pull out much..no? do you? even with my Giant bowl, I can see the generous display easily.
Yes, mine has a separate switch for the backlight. (I didn’t know that this was the difference between the two models, thanks!)

I use the pull-out feature a lot. When I make bread or charcuterie, I use very wide bowls and trays that, otherwise, would completely obscure the display.

Rosle 7.9” fine mesh strainer, pictured with the no name nylon mesh strainer it’s replacing. The nylon is my rice washing sieve, used a couple times a week. Got tired of having to wash the two cups I cook in separate batches due to the old strainers size. Would’ve gone with a matfer exoglass if they offered it in the right size, but rosle will do for now. Do love the tongs from them, the strainer seems to be of similar quality, the mesh is also very fine so it’ll probably useful as a prefilter for sous vide coffee to not have to empty the actual filter so frequently when making a gallon of coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpeg
    IMG_5735.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
that is a nice strainer!! i would put the nylon one into the donation pile. the fancy one could do the rice as well, at my home.

having said that, using a strainer to wash rice is the best method for me. i seem to use less water. i think.

Back