Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First big boy purchase since getting back into the game. 300mm White#2 Gesshin Ginga from JKI. 🙏

Attachments

• 20240313_120002.jpg
    20240313_120002.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Ever since trying his Prototype, I wanted one of his Hook grinds. You can't go wrong with Kamons but especially this grind performs really well. Last year I got my Custom one but never posted it. Way too sexy not to

Kamon Apex Ultra RS-Hook Blacked out
Handle: Rosewood with black Titanium Caps
273x58mm
270g
Rechts.jpg

Links.jpg

Choil 2.jpg

Spine 2.jpg

Griff rechts 5.jpg

Hahaha already? Hope it came with a suture kit and bandaids. Interested to hear what you think of the thinness behind the edge (have heard different things on here) and the performance of [300mm length] x [laser profile / light weight]

Sometimes lightning strikes twice. Devin Thomas and David Lisch. Gonna put em to work for St Patty's dinner.
View attachment 307841
Very nice! I was tempted by that DT, but already have one with a cocobolo handle. That handle made me think two might not be such a bad thing. Love the Lisch too. His bolsters are super comfortable.

Very nice! I was tempted by that DT, but already have one with a cocobolo handle. That handle made me think two might not be such a bad thing. Love the Lisch too. His bolsters are super comfortable.
Yeah, I've been trying to get a DT for a minute, glad you abstained haha.

And absolutely, the Lisch is one of the most comfortable knives I've picked up. It's like he's good at this or something

Ever since trying his Prototype, I wanted one of his Hook grinds. You can't go wrong with Kamons but especially this grind performs really well. Last year I got my Custom one but never posted it. Way too sexy not to

Kamon Apex Ultra RS-Hook Blacked out
Handle: Rosewood with black Titanium Caps
273x58mm
270g
View attachment 307737
View attachment 307738
View attachment 307739
View attachment 307740
View attachment 307741

Congrats! I have the same grind and I absolutely love it. Potatoes never know what hit ‘em.

DSC00526.jpeg

I’ve been quiet with buying knives lately. Pulled couple of knives these past few days and considering them knives would be my early Bday gift to myself. One of them came in today. Nothing really special but as a Ginsan steel lover I have to get my hands on Suogo Yamatsuka Ginsan’s. Here’s my new addition to my collection. Sakai Takayuki Ginsan 240mm with Ebony handle.
EF4EA619-3F2D-4E6C-A2E2-EBA5301580B1.jpeg
A62AAA4C-7FB2-4583-A862-CC2D56BA30FC.jpeg
2DB8C922-1D60-421C-914B-5F26113EF616.jpeg
C3438C6C-1103-463E-AD79-6BFD9B00354F.jpeg
259AD6F0-77E1-40BA-8D21-51B07D1071EC.jpeg
4B8A030E-3454-4C0A-91D8-4F25EEA59998.jpeg

This little beauty showed up today. Shindo 165mm funayuki.
Mine arrived today. I am kinda gobsmacked by this knife. $90 and cuts as good as my Shibata bunka. Maybe slightly better, jury is still out, need to do some more tests. I have some beets I need to roast and they may be more informative than the test carrots :p

Anyway, I had no need for this knife. I just wanted to see if Shindo's grinds lived up to the KKF hype and for $90 it wasn't a huge gamble. Thus far I think the hype is well deserved and this will likely displace one of my other 165mm knives on my rack. I'll rehandle it almost immediately (and post pics when that's done) as I cant abide plastic ferrules. But beyond that I'm pleased.

Mine arrived today. I am kinda gobsmacked by this knife. $90 and cuts as good as my Shibata bunka. Maybe slightly better, jury is still out, need to do some more tests. I have some beets I need to roast and they may be more informative than the test carrots :p

Anyway, I had no need for this knife. I just wanted to see if Shindo's grinds lived up to the KKF hype and for $90 it wasn't a huge gamble. Thus far I think the hype is well deserved and this will likely displace one of my other 165mm knives on my rack. I'll rehandle it almost immediately (and post pics when that's done) as I cant abide plastic ferrules. But beyond that I'm pleased.
aww man gonna have to give a Shindo a spindo

I should add about the Shindo, While I have seen this bit done in a store with a Yoshikane, this is the first knife I actually own that's thin enough behind the edge that you can deform the edge by pressing on it with your fingernail. You can even press a little behind the edge and deform the flat of the blade...That's thin!

Welcome to the cult! If you like it I would highly recommend the zahocho 210 gyuto by Saint Shindo. Upgraded handle and only a fraction more than the funyaki, it's my favorite silent carrot slayer
There is only one cult messiah. The OG.......TF

New addition to the short gang. @MSicardCutlery and @KasumiJLA
for a beautiful knife. The hamon is crazy defined. I cant stress how defined the hamon is with some serious wood to boot for the behind.

It does not have a makers mark so im going to call it the blank blade :)

Im starting to find that 180-200mm x 45mm is my jam on weekdays.

IMG_0648.jpeg

New addition to the short gang. @MSicardCutlery and @KasumiJLA
for a beautiful knife. The hamon is crazy defined. I cant stress how defined the hamon is with some serious wood to boot for the behind.

It does not have a makers mark so im going to call it the blank blade :)

Im starting to find that 180-200mm x 45mm is my jam on weekdays.

View attachment 308443
Last year I bought a Lundbergs 180 in spicy white. A keeper.

C. Luis Pina 210 Damascus bunka. This one's pretty interesting in that it started out as an asymmetrical right hand grind. Once I told him I was a lefty, he switched it over to a symmetrical s-grind. This guy's crazy thin with one of the more flexible tips i've used in a knife. Haven't cut anything with it yet, but it feels like it's going to be an amazing performer. The handle is died maple with g10
PXL_20240316_174547311.jpg
PXL_20240316_174552081.jpg
PXL_20240316_174557985.jpg
PXL_20240316_174610567.jpg

Last edited:
Back