Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shig 30cm yanagi kasumi

1005106k.jpg

have it one day

congratz with so wide(35mm) Shige yanagi ! =)

another one - 240 gyuto with 2.8 spine at heel or thicker ?
Im interested in your compare this Shige against Kato gyuto, like 2.8mm vs 5+mm

Just got my newest knife in today though I will still need to put a handle and edge on it. I have been on Marko's list for a bit, but when he put a few of his practice knives up I was fortunate enough to get one. Will review the knife soon, but think it will be a great cutter. Few early bad pic's. I am super excited about this one! :knife:

P9210562_zps0dd81860.jpg

Again not a great picture, but he threw in the felt strop to go along--need to get some of that magic diamond juice I suppose? The picture doesn't show how nice the strop is, but it is on a wooden base with feet and looks like it took a bit of time to put together.

P9210560_zpsc0489a3f.jpg

congratz with so wide(35mm) Shige yanagi ! =)

another one - 240 gyuto with 2.8 spine at heel or thicker ?
Im interested in your compare this Shige against Kato gyuto, like 2.8mm vs 5+mm

Sorry missed that one.

The yanagi is 32mm :) Cuts like a dream

The Shig is I dont know exactly but more tha 3mm at the heel, thats for sure

What can I say, its not as good as Kato. It is very good though

Here is 2 from same maker. Censored maker, but most know.

Models 270mm laser gyuto in AEB-L and Cleaver in 52100
cleaver&gyuto.jpg
2012-09-21 18.24.42.jpg
2012-09-21 18.21.26.jpg
cleaver2.jpg

nice chinacat let us see the knife when it got a nice handle on :)

Yah, Marko's knives have been an exercise in self control from the start. Not sure how long I can hold out... Getting... Harder......

No shame really. Lamson does a pretty decent job, I hear.

Picked up a few things recently.
Misono 240 Swedish gyuto(going out for rehandle) :)
Carter 6.9 sun funayuki
Gengetsu 180 SS petty
Untitled_zps07ff54f8.jpg

nice knifes and stone )

how its Gengetsu cutting compared with Carter ?

um that isn't a stone, its the scales he will be using for the rehandle.

Awesome. Love my misono swede. Will be sending it to Dave for a re-handle as soon as I get my hunk of red eye koa.

Same question as gentlecook about the performance difference between the gengetsu and the carter...also what type of wood is that--maybe dyed maple?

Same question as gentlecook about the performance difference between the gengetsu and the carter...also what type of wood is that--maybe dyed maple?

I'm probably missing something here... But why the curiosity of comparing these two knives? it wouldn't have occurred to me before to compare these blade profiles... What am I missing?

I'm probably missing something here... But why the curiosity of comparing these two knives? it wouldn't have occurred to me before to compare these blade profiles... What am I missing?

Though I know the knives are different profile/type, I know how the Carter cuts and curious if the Gengetsu is in the same league (I happen to think it may be). Aside from that, I have been eyeing a Gengetsu 180 petty myself and haven't had the opportunity to try one yet, though I will be giving their gyuto a go on a passaround soon.:D

Though I know the knives are different profile/type, I know how the Carter cuts and curious if the Gengetsu is in the same league (I happen to think it may be). Aside from that, I have been eyeing a Gengetsu 180 petty myself and haven't had the opportunity to try one yet, though I will be giving their gyuto a go on a passaround soon.:D

Is that the stainless Gengetsu passaround? I lost track of my dance card, but I think I signed up for that one...

Stainless clad White #2...240. I can't wait to see what the Gengetsu is all about...and since Jon happens to be sold out of the petty's anyway this will at least keep me thinking about it.:knife:

It's hard to compare my Gengetsu to the Carter because of the different style petty vs funy and I use them for different tasks.
I can tell you that my petty is pure awesomeness. F&F is great, sharpening/burr removal are easy, SS steel takes a pretty cool mostly blue patina in my experience but I prep next to a sink and do hot water rinses between tasks...maybe that has something to do with it? Little to no flex thanks to the spine thickness and thin at the edge, it cuts like a laser.
I did get a couple days with a 240 Gengetsu gyuto awhile back and can comfortably say that in my experience it easily cut just as well as my newly acquired carter or vice versa... It's hard to say much more without having the two to compare side by side.
Perhaps TK59 can chime in, I think he's probably had more time with both of these. I think of my Gegetsu, Kochi and Carter as the knives that give me that "oh sh!t" moment at the first cut at the beginning of a shift :eek:hmy:. The Carter feels special, Lefty posted a photo of it awhile back and it stuck with me since. Something about it spoke to me and I didn't think I'd get a chance to own it. Now that it's made it's way to me, well it feels special and I'm enjoying every bit of it. That block for the Misono is red eye Koa. @K-Fed, looks like we have similar steez my friend! :cool2:

I rescued this Foster Bros. 10" scimitar from a junk shop for $10. It looks like a chip on the edge 3" from the tip but that's actually just black carbon. It appears to have been used very infrequently during its life and actually has a decent edge on it. The handle is in nice shape but is a little dry, I'm thinking of sanding it smooth and then oiling it to bring it back.

I had to get a shot of it next to my Martell suji for comparison. I just wish the scimitar were a bit longer.

photo_3.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_1.jpg

I rescued this Foster Bros. 10" scimitar from a junk shop for $10. It looks like a chip on the edge 3" from the tip but that's actually just black carbon. It appears to have been used very infrequently during its life and actually has a decent edge on it. The handle is in nice shape but is la little dry, I'm thinking of sanding it smooth and then oiling it to bring it back.

I had to get a shot of it next to my Martell suji for comparison. I just wish the scimitar were a bit longer.

photo_3.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_1.jpg

Looks nice. I just rescued a foster bros 14" steel at a yard sale for 5$

That Foster Bros knife seem to be from 1953 to 1956 this was the mark they were using during the liquidate of property's

Not to be confused with the first marks from 1870 - 1890 which were the same but I don't think it's that old.

That Foster Bros knife seem to be from 1953 to 1956 this was the mark they were using during the liquidate of property's

Not to be confused with the first marks from 1870 - 1890 which were the same but I don't think it's that old.

Whoa, I had no idea it was possibly that old! I figured it was from the '70s simply because it seemed too nice to be much older, but I don't know the history. Thank you so much for the information!

In the last couple of weeks I picked up a yoshiaki fujiwara 270 gyuto & sujihiki. They are both amazing cutters, the suji is much thinner than I was expecting, it starts out about 5mm at the handle but tapers really well from about halfway and is super thin at the tip. Only downside for me is the handle on the suji which is a bit small for me.
706C0726-ECE6-4A6A-A881-E2320D726CC4-36308-00004B96E2422409_zpsbbd413c2.jpg
[/IMG]

Back