Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Already addicted to knives and straight into the JNAT rabbit hole. Got a couple koppas to start. aizu, osukiyama shiro suita (although the kanji says hon-suita, if anyone can educate me here), and a tajima

Attachments

• 20231101_214348.jpg
    20231101_214348.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I've have or have had all of the Shaptons, Pro and Glass, at one time or another.

I prefer others at the low grits but will always have a G500, SP1000, SP2000, G4000 on hand.

The SP5000 is the only one of the bunch I did not like and could not find anything it did well. Perhaps it will work for you and I hope it does.

Last edited:
Only have about 0.3mm of stone left on my 400, thinking of getting the new line like that one when the time comes. let me know how you like it!
What stone ? How thick Was it New? How have you worn à diamond stone ?

What stone ? How thick Was it New? How have you worn à diamond stone ?
Hakuto NSK 400s 3.5mm thick, purchased new early in early spring. I still have some life left in it, but getting time to think about a replacement. I've also eaten most of a 200, and maybe half of a 800 / 1500.

I do a ton of surface work - at least 12 hrs / week on average. I can eat through stones relatively quickly for someone who doesn't do any of this for work.

Last edited:
How do NSK stones compare to FSK, im planning to get a FSK 1000 but these NSK sounds nice too
For sharpening high-carbide steels, very comparable. A bit more waterstonish feel on the (hard version) NSK 600; a bit faster path to a great edge on the BBB 1000. But very close.

The real acid test would be a thinning comparison, but I have not tried that yet. The FSK might hold up a lot longer. I have the impression that that was the quality that drew BBB to them.

For sharpening high-carbide steels, very comparable. A bit more waterstonish feel on the (hard version) NSK 600; a bit faster path to a great edge on the BBB 1000. But very close.

The real acid test would be a thinning comparison, but I have not tried that yet. The FSK might hold up a lot longer. I have the impression that that was the quality that drew BBB to them.
Sounds nice, I have some Venev at higher grit, but after trying FSK they are hard to satisfy now… Is NSK also vitrified?

The Oboro knife (OK) and FSK should be rather comparable as the OK is much harder and has a significantly greater density of diamonds than all the other NSK stones

The Oboro knife (OK) and FSK should be rather comparable as the OK is much harder and has a significantly greater density of diamonds than all the other NSK stones
This is rather different information from my understanding (based on personal experience and other source) of the NSK line up for what it’s worth…

Once you make it to high end diamond stones, there isn’t a “best” or even “better.” How the binder abrades and what your personal taste for glazing v dish resistance v cutting depth is determines what each person likes best.

Last edited:
Back