Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received the 2k OK and was incredibly surprised how well it cut and how fine and consistent the finish was.

It did not feel that hard to me though, maybe I’m crazy, but it felt kinda on the softer side 🤷🏻‍♂️

Very happy, really enjoyed every single one of the OK I’ve purchased. Next I will try the OK 4k

Would be very curious to try the FSK to compare.

2k Oboro knife just arrived, I’m curious to see if the finer Oboro knife are any good 🤔

Wife didn’t love me hijacking the kitchen sink for hours on knife projects so got set up in the garage.

Folks at JKI were super helpful in helping me piece together this setup. It’s just a couple cambro food pans that fit a suehiro stand. Came out great and not too expensive.

IMG_5630.jpeg

Wife didn’t love me hijacking the kitchen sink for hours on knife projects so got set up in the garage.

Folks at JKI were super helpful in helping me piece together this setup. It’s just a couple cambro food pans that fit a suehiro stand. Came out great and not too expensive.

View attachment 285319
The battle for the sink is real...

Setup looks great. Is it stable? Any instability during passes?

View attachment 285319
Added benefit: garage beers are scientifically proven to hit different

NSK: FSK Vitrified Diamond 1k 💎🔥

View attachment 287823

Looking forward to trying it out, particularly comparing it against the FSK 400 and JKI Vitrified 800.
I got it too, and should probably get it before the 400, this is phenomenal stone, rise a burr on literally everything, reshaped all my pocket knives in high alloy easily, the edge is surprisingly refined for 1000, hair popping sharp, and the scratch pattern is very clean. My best knife investment this year

I got it too, and should probably get it before the 400, this is phenomenal stone, rise a burr on literally everything, reshaped all my pocket knives in high alloy easily, the edge is surprisingly refined for 1000, hair popping sharp, and the scratch pattern is very clean. My best knife investment this year

Yeah I agree with that sentiment. I normally feel the urge to try new stones to find the "perfect" stone in each grit range , but I no longer feel that urge for 1k stones. The FSK 1k is pretty much everything I could want in a medium sharpening stone.

Very fast at removing material and great finish. Very hard (my preference) and great subjective tactile feeling and sound. Still hasn't dished yet and doesn't load up.
If the abrasive material were thicker I would happily call this a stone for life. I've tried it with various steels and I enjoy it with them all. It is particularly great with soft stainless steels, which are not the best with some other stones. I also highly rate the JKI800 Vitrified Diamond and compared it directly to this one. The main difference between two was that the FSK didn't load at all with soft stainless over any length of time. This wouldn't be an issue for some people but i use alot of softer stainless cleavers. However the JKI is 8mm wider, which may not sound like much but I think it is very noticeable and is one aspect I think it is better than the FSK.

Im also really enjoying the FSK 400 too. It is very very fast and cuts about as fast as any stone I've tried. With how fast the 1000 is (probably faster than most 400 grit stones), Im currently only using it for thinning and occasionally to set bevels on really dull knives. The 400 is also an excellent stone and between the two you wouldn't really need anything else for most kitchen knives.

They were quite pricey but I agree a solid investment for someone who enjoys sharpening or does alot of it.

IMG_1803.jpeg
Got a crazy good deal on the 1000-3000-8000 set and I couldn’t resist. I added the 320 on the coarse end. The glass stones are made to work in 3x steps, so I have a full progression in just 4 stones.
As a matter of fact I had the 500 a couple of years ago and I sold it because I didn’t like how thin it was and how flimsy it felt in my stone holder. I have to say this Shapton holder adresses this very well, the stone sits tight and the rubber feet stick well to the countertop. I think I still prefer my Naniwa pro stones in terms of feel and feedback, but this will be an excellent travel kit.

Treated myself to a Christmas present…..oooooohhhh, Buddy!

Ordered the DMT Diaflat, 4” x 10”.
Just so you know there are two versions, the “Diaflat” which is 120 micron and is the same micron and mesh as the XX Coarse plate, and the “Diaflat 95” which is *****95 micron***** or something like 180 grit.
I was good with either one - actually I wasn’t going to buy either one cause they’re kinda over priced IMHO - but the “Diaflat” had a big price dip on Amazon and it caught me in a weak moment.

So it arrives. Even has the QC signed inspection card verifying flatness to .0000000000001 micromicron, and this is in the box.

IMG_8280.jpeg

IMG_8281.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8281.jpeg
    IMG_8281.jpeg
    881.2 KB · Views: 0
Treated myself to a Christmas present…..oooooohhhh, Buddy!

Ordered the DMT Diaflat, 4” x 10”.
Just so you know there are two versions, the “Diaflat” which is 120 micron and is the same micron and mesh as the XX Coarse plate, and the “Diaflat 95” which is *****95 micron***** or something like 180 grit.
I was good with either one - actually I wasn’t going to buy either one cause they’re kinda over priced IMHO - but the “Diaflat” had a big price dip on Amazon and it caught me in a weak moment.

So it arrives. Even has the QC signed inspection card verifying flatness to .0000000000001 micromicron, and this is in the box.

View attachment 289917

View attachment 289919
4 versions -- you can get either the 95 micron or the 120 with grooves cut into it.

They seemed overpriced when I was ordering them, but they are pretty impressive in person. The size and weight make a good case for the price, and when I used one to flatten a particularly pitted translucent Ark, without noticeable effect on the plate, I was sold.

please let us know how you like the Kirameki compared to the Gesshin. I love my Gesshin 4k and use it all the time, only caveat is that it feels kinda meh.
It more muddy and soft, feels good, but kind redundant in my set up. Original’s plan to use it between Gesshin 2k and Gesshin 6k, but not a lot of use as I can jump straight, Gesshin stone is bit more clean in polishing

Went to mtc thinking I was going to walk out with a glass 2000, got a rockstar 2k and 4k. Back of the box is interesting too

They’re encouraging you to soak them a bit. Not so sure that’s how I wanted to use them, I’ll see
View attachment 294303
I tested out sharpening a couple knives as s&g and it went just fine. Nice stone! Fast and accurate

Those precautions make the RockStar sound a lot less durable that I thought it would be. I would have no hesitation using detergent, hot water, direct heat, or long soaks with vitrified stones. Has cracking been a problem with the Glass Stones?

Those precautions make the RockStar sound a lot less durable that I thought it would be. I would have no hesitation using detergent, hot water, direct heat, or long soaks with vitrified stones. Has cracking been a problem with the Glass Stones?
No. But no one soaks those, AFAIK.

The RockStar stones are a new thing, and we will have to sort out the capabilities. Early reports suggest they are a lot like the Glass stones, but we shall see.

Back