Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got one of these to up my straight razor game.

IMG_0438.jpeg

Still haven’t been able to tree top with my razors. Shave still less than comfortable. I’ll keep trying.

I’m a nakatoishi guy and I just can’t hide it.
21,5x8,5x6,7 cm. and 2,8 kg. Of fast cutting Natsuya.

Did a quick polish and it delivered a quite nice kasumi with minimum scratches (the kiri was “scratch free” to begin with.)
Sharpening was a bliss. Toilet paper sharp in no time with 26C3.
I rarely go above 1k or 2k anymore on synthetics before jumping on Natsuya and progressing from there

Yet to find anything that gives as great of an edge as aiiwatani

I rarely go above 1k or 2k anymore on synthetics before jumping on Natsuya and progressing from there

Yet to find anything that gives as great of an edge as aiiwatani
I go Naniwa Pro 800 (it’s a 1k ish stone anyway) and then Natsuya. Did some stropping on the Natsuya afterwards with clear water/no slurry and the edge was really nice. As always I finish my knives on the back of a kangaroo 🦘 well kangaroo leather to me more precise. Works like a charm and holds and great edge.
Could go on to Aizu for that last refinement but I’ll stay in that lane. I like my edges with some bite.

My newest toy!

Shobudani Iromono lv4

bought this from @1Stone a couple of weeks ago. (no advertisment)

This is my new finisher for my single bevels and white 1 knifes.
Before i had a ohira asagi koppa for this purposes, it did well but was to hard for my preferences and only usable with diamond nagura, what in my thoughts is not the right way for a jnat. For a mikawa nagura progression this on the other hand would be great i guess. Unfortionatly i dont have any of those.

After my first uses i can tell the Iromono fits my preferences and is very enjoyable to use. It builds up slurry at the same time it breaks down, may needs a little help by nagura to speed things up in the beginning when edge sharpening. But even tho i havent tried polishing yet i think it wont need a forced slurry to get started.

I already testes it for sharpening my Togashi white 1 stainless clad 240 gyuto
in this progression: Jns400>Naniwa Traditional 1000>Naniwa Green Brick>Shobudani

what i enjoy about it is that it leaves a super refined edge comparable to 8k synth but it still has bite on it!! thats what i want from a jnat and what its for in my opinion, no synth stone can do that.

Also it for sure looks really beautiful and i like the fact that there is also kanji on the side.
IMG_9440.jpeg
IMG_9443.jpeg
IMG_9447.jpeg

I go Naniwa Pro 800 (it’s a 1k ish stone anyway) and then Natsuya. Did some stropping on the Natsuya afterwards with clear water/no slurry and the edge was really nice. As always I finish my knives on the back of a kangaroo 🦘 well kangaroo leather to me more precise. Works like a charm and holds and great edge.
Could go on to Aizu for that last refinement but I’ll stay in that lane. I like my edges with some bite.
is your natsuya on the finer side? cause I used mine as a coarse stone and guessed it was around 600 grit lol

More stone finds, this time a Coticule. I know (literally) nothing about stones, but it seems from the formation that this is naturally formed rather than a Coticule attached to a piece of slate or Belgian Blue.
1711380568504.png

1711380612077.png

Cleaned up nicely
1711380693538.png

And seems fast, initially purchased because I thought it would turn out nice and looked a little different. Very nice feel.
1711380817678.png

Any initial thoughts on this one? Is it just a SG500 that's thicker without the glass? Been eyeing these!
Yup they appear to be just that, double the stone for same/less money. There is a thread about them and the change in grit classification, however it appears they are the same and the old glass versions will have their micron ratings revised.

Any initial thoughts on this one? Is it just a SG500 that's thicker without the glass? Been eyeing these!
Yeah sure, I've experimented with this one against a few other stones the last few days.

They are supposed to be the same formulation as the Glass stones according to shapton. I don't have a glass 500 to compare side by side but based on early reports from others I believe this is probably true.

it feels very hard, just a tiny bit less than the Shapton Pro 1k but harder than almost everything else. I really enjoyed the tactile feeling of abrading against this stone, and the cutting speed was very fast. The edge produced was excellent. It maintained flatness very well after much work. It felt quite muddy too, particularly with softer steels or cheaper knives where it would release alot of grit. The main downside in my experience however was the relatively poor feedback. It felt quite muted compared to the Naniwa Pro 400 and Shapton Pro 1k. It was much easier to feel what was going on around the edge with those stones. In contrast the Rockstar didn't offer as much immediate feedback and I was relying more of muscle memory.

The 10mm form factor is actually really nice. Two of these rockstars in a shapton pro case would make an excellent portable travel kit.

Overall id say it's it's an exceptional feeling and performing stone. In the end however my preference was the Naniwa chosera 400 as it offered much better feedback.

The main downside in my experience however was the relatively poor feedback. It felt quite muted compared to the Naniwa Pro 400 and Shapton Pro 1k. It was much easier to feel what was going on around the edge with those stones. In contrast the Rockstar didn't offer as much immediate feedback and I was relying more of muscle memory.
That doesn't sound much like the SG500, unless it were a brand new one with that slick top layer not yet abraded away.

I find it easier to get feedback from a stone like the SG500. It's all more subtle than the more raspy stones like Chosera, but that makes the contrast between what you feel in the "ok, we're done here" parts of the edge and the "more work needed here, this must be the area of the edge I use the most" part all the more pronounced.

That doesn't sound much like the SG500, unless it were a brand new one with that slick top layer not yet abraded away.

I find it easier to get feedback from a stone like the SG500. It's all more subtle than the more raspy stones like Chosera, but that makes the contrast between what you feel in the "ok, we're done here" parts of the edge and the "more work needed here, this must be the area of the edge I use the most" part all the more pronounced.

Yeah it's possible it could have been the initial top layer of the stone, it was a brand new stone to be fair. I had given it a quick lap with an Atoma 140 but perhaps should have gone a bit further. Might take it to the SiC plate and give it another go to confirm after some more material removal. Yeah a bit surprising for me as I have heard people say the SG500 has great feedback, but that wasn't my experience with that testing.

Bought a variety of sink bridges. The middle is from Amazon, the far right is from AliExpress. Both cost about $40-50. I would stick with the DMD one over Amazon. Kasfly is really nice and hefty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
More stone finds, this time a Coticule. I know (literally) nothing about stones, but it seems from the formation that this is naturally formed rather than a Coticule attached to a piece of slate or Belgian Blue.
View attachment 310576

View attachment 310577

Cleaned up nicely
View attachment 310578

And seems fast, initially purchased because I thought it would turn out nice and looked a little different. Very nice feel.
View attachment 310579
The striations in that knife’s cladding … wrought iron?

Not wrought iron. Some plain old modern iron has ample banding throughout like that. Whatever batch of iron Jikko’s smiths for their white 2 line of single bevels has a ton of it. Some old Watanabe KU double bevels had a lot of figure too. Hinoura prelam stuff also. Banding doesn’t always equal wrought and sometimes wrought doesn’t show a ton of visible banding either.

Yeah sure, I've experimented with this one against a few other stones the last few days.

They are supposed to be the same formulation as the Glass stones according to shapton. I don't have a glass 500 to compare side by side but based on early reports from others I believe this is probably true.

it feels very hard, just a tiny bit less than the Shapton Pro 1k but harder than almost everything else. I really enjoyed the tactile feeling of abrading against this stone, and the cutting speed was very fast. The edge produced was excellent. It maintained flatness very well after much work. It felt quite muddy too, particularly with softer steels or cheaper knives where it would release alot of grit. The main downside in my experience however was the relatively poor feedback. It felt quite muted compared to the Naniwa Pro 400 and Shapton Pro 1k. It was much easier to feel what was going on around the edge with those stones. In contrast the Rockstar didn't offer as much immediate feedback and I was relying more of muscle memory.

The 10mm form factor is actually really nice. Two of these rockstars in a shapton pro case would make an excellent portable travel kit.

Overall id say it's it's an exceptional feeling and performing stone. In the end however my preference was the Naniwa chosera 400 as it offered much better feedback.
Did you try giving the rockstar a five minute soak? Feels quite different that way

Back