Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I agree with that sentiment. I normally feel the urge to try new stones to find the "perfect" stone in each grit range , but I no longer feel that urge for 1k stones. The FSK 1k is pretty much everything I could want in a medium sharpening stone.

Very fast at removing material and great finish. Very hard (my preference) and great subjective tactile feeling and sound. Still hasn't dished yet and doesn't load up.
If the abrasive material were thicker I would happily call this a stone for life. I've tried it with various steels and I enjoy it with them all. It is particularly great with soft stainless steels, which are not the best with some other stones. I also highly rate the JKI800 Vitrified Diamond and compared it directly to this one. The main difference between two was that the FSK didn't load at all with soft stainless over any length of time. This wouldn't be an issue for some people but i use alot of softer stainless cleavers. However the JKI is 8mm wider, which may not sound like much but I think it is very noticeable and is one aspect I think it is better than the FSK.

Im also really enjoying the FSK 400 too. It is very very fast and cuts about as fast as any stone I've tried. With how fast the 1000 is (probably faster than most 400 grit stones), Im currently only using it for thinning and occasionally to set bevels on really dull knives. The 400 is also an excellent stone and between the two you wouldn't really need anything else for most kitchen knives.

They were quite pricey but I agree a solid investment for someone who enjoys sharpening or does alot of it.
Where did you find it for sale?

I tested out sharpening a couple knives as s&g and it went just fine. Nice stone! Fast and accurate
Those precautions make the RockStar sound a lot less durable that I thought it would be. I would have no hesitation using detergent, hot water, direct heat, or long soaks with vitrified stones. Has cracking been a problem with the Glass Stones?
The 4k came chipped out of the box

But…

I followed the instructions with the 2k and gave it a five minute soak. That was a beautiful stone. Felt very different from the shapton pro that I was replacing, definitely worth the price.

Not sure if I’m going to exchange it or not.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The 4k came chipped out of the box

But…

I followed the instructions with the 2k and gave it a five minute soak. That was a beautiful stone. Felt very different from the shapton pro that I was replacing, definitely worth the price.

Not sure if I’m going to exchange it or not.

View attachment 294432

That doesn't look like a chip but rather a sintering defect. I'd consider a return.

The corners on the Glass Stones have been an issue because of the cardboard boxes, Occasionally arrive with a chipped corner.

The Rock Star is supposedly the same material as the Glass Stones and the care directions are the same. The 5-6m soak is new, but I always let a little water sit on most synths for a few minutes before honing. No idea why really, it just seems like a good idea. Especially for the Suehiro Kouseki which is quite a thirsty stone.

I’ve got the 4k RS, will probably pick up an 8k or 10k soon.

Will try thanks, I’m also thinking getting a Hapstone or Jende glass kit from gritomatic
Once a stone becomes that badly dished I find it hard to use loose grit because it wants to roll out from under the points of contact. Fortunately on a stone this chalk-soft the drywall screen works quite well.

Is Rockstar 1000 still as coarse as Shapton Pro/Kuromaku 1000? So, is the real 1000 grit actually the 2000 one?

I’m a nakatoishi guy and I just can’t hide it.
21,5x8,5x6,7 cm. and 2,8 kg. Of fast cutting Natsuya.

Did a quick polish and it delivered a quite nice kasumi with minimum scratches (the kiri was “scratch free” to begin with.)
Sharpening was a bliss. Toilet paper sharp in no time with 26C3.

Attachments

• IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9720.jpeg
    IMG_9720.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9723.jpeg
    IMG_9723.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back