Show Your Newest Sharpening Gear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yahoo! The DHL man cometh....

An Arashiyama 6000, a couple of cheap natural stones and the first of some Naguras, a few Mejiro for now. Some quick tests on these have given a range of results and feedback, I like the feel of all of them in their own way.

1712002239803.png

The pitted stone cleaned up nicely and produces a nice kasumi finish.
1712002349503.png

In doing so, I found out just how different JNATs are to the other rocks I've been rubbing.

Stone obsession intensifies!

Did not take me long to buy a SG500. I like it a lot! I discovered a chip in one of my older knives and glad I had it to clean it up. Definitely need to get better with consistent angle but I am getting my knives to occasionally slice through paper towel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
OMG, I think that is the long-rumoured Shapton Glass renumbered using the Shapton Rockstar grit scales.
Hah I did not realize there was anything different about it. I just ordered it from Amazon from a third party that I believe is based in Japan.

I picked these up off of yahoo auctions:
ABC Oilstone White Queen. Says “3000” and feels about right but it doesn’t feel like a normal aluminum oxide. Feels like a Spyderco UF but with a bit of porasity. Seems like an odd material as it is not homogenous and there are other bits of stuff in it, almost like a natural stone.
The other is a Niwatui A00. Also says oilstone but there was no oil in it (like a loaded Norton would be). Seems fairly coarse, about 500 grit. This came in a vintage fake leather box. Seems pretty old.

Anyone have any experience or know anything about these?

IMG_8586.jpeg
IMG_8589.jpeg
IMG_8588.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 0
OMG, I think that is the long-rumoured Shapton Glass renumbered using the Shapton Rockstar grit scales.

Hah I did not realize there was anything different about it. I just ordered it from Amazon from a third party that I believe is based in Japan.

Definitely new markings. My older one just reads 29.4 Micron.

And I just released GLGC revision 15 after deciding I couldn't wait for Shapton's changes. :dancingchicken:

Sigma Power Select II 3000.

This line of stones gets surprisingly little mention around here, considering how good they are. I have the 240 for thinning and 1K for sharpening. The 1K is soft, very fast, and a little thirsty. I pre-soak it. Weirdly, the 1K seems a little less thirsty over time.

From my understanding, this line of stones is made without binders, which is why they are so fast - releasing lots of abrasive material. By managing the slurry and the water renewal, there is a greater variety of outcomes than with my other stones using similar practices.

This 3K is f-a-s-t fast, harder, and seems like a splash and go. It doesn’t bubble at all when submerged. I got this in January from Lee Valley, and I like it a lot.
It’s sure pretty, kind of a soft green-yellow.

D7B71072-E9F0-4383-A76E-8337EEEC8AB8.jpeg

Last edited:

This line of stones gets surprisingly little mention around here, considering how good they are. I have the 240 for thinning and 1K for sharpening. The 1K is soft, very fast, and a little thirsty. I pre-soak it. Weirdly, the 1K seems a little less thirsty over time.

From my understanding, this line of stones is made without binders, which is why they are so fast - releasing lots of abrasive material. By managing the slurry and the water renewal, there is a greater variety of outcomes than with my other stones using similar practices.

This 3K is f-a-s-t fast, harder, and seems like a splash and go. It doesn’t bubble at all when submerged. I got this in January from Lee Valley, and I like it a lot.
It’s sure pretty, kind of a soft green-yellow.

View attachment 314618
If this is what you used for the Matsubara then I am very intrigued! Comes in at a nice price point between like a Shapton Glass/Pro and a Chosera or Gesshin. I’m gonna block myself from buying any more stones for a few months though while I work on technique haha

If this is what you used for the Matsubara then I am very intrigued! Comes in at a nice price point between like a Shapton Glass/Pro and a Chosera or Gesshin. I’m gonna block myself from buying any more stones for a few months though while I work on technique haha
Either that or a Belgian blue whetstone, I’m not positive. But you’re right to just practice practice for awhile.
Some people learn quicker than others, and it took me quite a while to become somewhat consistent. Two major things that helped me were
- Selections from this playlist:

Knife Sharpening Playlist

- and getting a little task light to use while sharpening. I set up the task light to reflect off the knife blade to watch that I don’t wobble while I’m sharpening. Then move the light when I flip the knife over. Once I trained myself I didn’t need it anymore.

Last edited:
I have a slice of this stone cut for the Edge Pro. It, and photos of the SP SII 3000 I have previously seen are olive green. In your photo it looks yellow, though one end appears a bit to the green. Is that photo representative of actual color? I wonder if it has changed. Mine is similar to this:

schleifstein-312577.jpg

Last edited:
I have a slice of this stone cut for the Edge Pro. It, and photos of the SP SII 3000 I have previously seen are olive green. In your photo it looks yellow, though one end appears a bit to the green. Is that photo representative of actual color? I wonder if it has changed. Mine is similar to this:
That was nighttime kitchen lighting. Here it is by natural overcast daytime light:
66AA24FF-4256-4A36-A30A-9181833188BD.jpeg

And wet:
91BF0D3B-EB01-44C3-95FE-94A45B161777.jpeg

Anyone know why it won’t show the image in the message? I’ve really had issues with posting images recently. Not sure what’s changed.
Check that your photos aren't too large. I have to amend the upload size on pretty much most of my photos coming directly from an iphone. Before clicking "add" click "options" in the bottom left corner, then select a smaller file size format.

Check that your photos aren't too large. I have to amend the upload size on pretty much most of my photos coming directly from an iphone. Before clicking "add" click "options" in the bottom left corner, then select a smaller file size format.
Thank you! I did get a new phone with a better camera, that has to be it

Edit: just tried it out and it worked!

Back