Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it looks very good indeed, surely better than new.
Katos kasumi are vertical scratched too, the polishing job with them is like infinite!
Anyway for a top clean samourai finish, you need Many hours.
But that's a hobby! ;-)

...but this time with quite a lot of work I got great results with an Ohira Jizuya on a Shigefusa Petty 135mm.

Good contrast
foto hochladen
fotos hochladen
and beautiful pattern
gratis bilder

Finished on a Ao Renge Ohira Suita and Kanayama Strop 20000 and 50000 it became extremely sharp!
https://youtu.be/K5q4vVuzwWY

I was thinking about selling it but now I'm not that sure..

Thank you for the comment Bennyprofane.
The polishing job wasn't that easy.
First the preparation as Shigefusas knives usually have some deep scratches. I had to trick a bit to make them less visible but removing as less metal as possible to let the shape of the knife same as out of the box.
Then find a stone that reacts well with the metal and let appear the beautiful pattern.
And finally the patience to make it glossy..

Those are some serious clouds... I take it that it is a Kasumi and not Kitaeji?

Yes it is a kasumi.
I am beginning an uchigumori polish on a kitaeji. Quite excited to see the result!
But there is a huge preparation for this one as the knife out of the box was very scratchy..

Wow that is some beautiful work! Definitely is starting to give me the bug to want to get into sharpening and polishing with natural stones!

...but this time with quite a lot of work I got great results with an Ohira Jizuya on a Shigefusa Petty 135mm.

Good contrast
foto hochladen
fotos hochladen
and beautiful pattern
gratis bilder

Finished on a Ao Renge Ohira Suita and Kanayama Strop 20000 and 50000 it became extremely sharp!

Just watched the hair cut test. Best knife sharpness video I've ever seen

Very impressive polish, too. Nice!

:)

This was a Hide, I've thinned out the blade face by hand enough for the makers mark to disappear. Now the shinogi is pretty crisp.

IMG_4910.jpg

I seriously thinned my TF nakiri and also corrected a big over grind. I tried to make a nice finish and played a bit with my natural stones and finger stones. It is the first time I am doing such a big job. In term of performance, this knife is now super efficient. In term of finish, I am pleased with it for a first time, although it is not completely perfect.

DSC_1361.jpg

Some detail:

DSC_1363.jpg

Nice!

@zetieum
wow you took a lot of the knife! if you need your ai1000 and ai2000 back just gimme a call.. cant wait to test your Nakiri reloaded next time!

@cheflivengood
wow the contrast of the polished and matte are is sick!

Good contrast
foto hochladen
fotos hochladen
and beautiful pattern
gratis bilder

I love sharpening, truly. But this has made me realise I have some way to go. Outstanding in every which way you could measure it.

From my Ohira Renge post

And the sandblasted semi mirror finish from my new Aiiwatani. The orange is a reflection of an overhead light

That must've taken quite some time

Maybe about an hour to be honest, my set up is pretty ghetto, but im able to but some signifigant prsure on the knife, and since the handle is off it helps. it actually got hot enough to steam so I started dunking it lol.

My camera thinks there's a window frame on the jigane and has changed the depth of focus accordingly. Watanabe after Nakayama

you guys spend way more time polishing stuff than cutting. :D

You are so damned right.. "sad but true" ;))
I found myself yesterday and 2AM in my kitchen and it was suddenly 4AM ;))

If you know those awesome Bob Ross Painting videos then i would call this "The Joy of Sharpening!"
Actually i checked Polishing results, but since it was just quick and dirty its not worth showing.

Instead of buying more stones i will work more with the ones i have!! ;)) (i hope so ;) )

Sick polishing @badger!
And awesome Work @cheflivengood!

Seeya Daniel

Back