Single bevel gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw someone post a pic of a single bevel gyuto on the newest knife but section. That's what really sparked my interest. It just seems like it would be a fun knife for me. I am so highly addicted to knives now. You guys have turned me into an addict!

Which one was that?

maybe the HHH one that he did a while back (again, a custom made knife at the customers request)

Lol I can't find the newest knife buy section. What is it under? I always find it on what's new tab

Maybe you mean this Ajikataya? Heavily asymmetric, but not 1-bevelled.

ECBD2643-ACDE-4712-B298-7CF8AA3873C2-7355-0000053938C9EECB_zpsb7c67cc2.jpg

Oh, yeah that was it. It looked like a single bevel. Thanks for clearing it up Jon!

having seen more of hinoura-san's work than anyone here and also having spent more time in his workshop, i feel very comfortable saying that that particular knife has the same looking bevel on the other side. The edge itself may be asymmetric, but thats about it. I've got a some of that line here in front of me to confirm.

I also saw this black mirror finished single bevel gyuto a while back on the site not allowed here. But it was outrageous prices. Probably reasonable prices for the finish.... I was just looking for something more humble.

The knife I'm referring to is made by an itto-ryu. Do you know of him or have you tried any of his knives Jon?

No single bevel grind, no to sharpening 99% / 1% on the primary edge, or or both?

Why? Sounds interesting to me.

edge would be too fragile for gyuto work repeatedly hitting the board; single bevel would steer terribly in food items taller than the bevel; would wedge in tall food items due to thick spine - most single bevel knives (except something like a fugubiki) are thicker at the spine than most gyuto (expect something like a Heiji, Kato, etc).

i've seen them in person, and sharpened some, but not what mark is calling black mirror.

edge would be too fragile for gyuto work repeatedly hitting the board; single bevel would steer terribly in food items taller than the bevel; would wedge in tall food items due to thick spine - most single bevel knives (except something like a fugubiki) are thicker at the spine than most gyuto (expect something like a Heiji, Kato, etc).

my experience with TC blade gyuto, I don't feel edge is fragile with the micro bevel on back side. I agree it has steer & wedge issue when cutting food taller than shinogi line.....

Just go and grab PT's newly listed Suisin Gin Momiji up in B/S/T.

Maybe you mean this Ajikataya? Heavily asymmetric, but not 1-bevelled.
its close to 50/50... i know that knife... its got that same bevel on the other side
I haven't seen it in person - just paraphrasing Von Blewitt, the proud owner, who told me something to this effect.
having seen more of hinoura-san's work than anyone here and also having spent more time in his workshop, i feel very comfortable saying that that particular knife has the same looking bevel on the other side. The edge itself may be asymmetric, but thats about it. I've got a some of that line here in front of me to confirm.

Well, if that's the only proof you can come up with then I'm not at all convinced! :whistling:

Jon, I think you should have a special project to have a true single bevel gyuto made, then do a pass around on the forum, then there will be a general understanding of how ridiculous the whole concept is, and no one will bring up the idea again. First hand experience is key.

Naturally you will have to eat the cost, consider it an early Xmas gift to the forum. If you need help I have $5 to spare. I just got paid yesterday. :lol2:

Lol!!! That suisin single bevel gyuto that PT sold on b/s/t recently doesn't seem that absurd. It actually looks pretty awesome. The major thing for me is; does it just look super awesome, or can it perform well also? If it is as sharp as I think it can be, you could keep a toothy edge on it and achieve a more sharp edge than a 50/50. If it doesn't steer itself all over the board and lose its edge in minutes I think it could be of great value in a pro kitchen.

The suisin momiji funayuki is not a gyuto... its a type of deba used specifically for saba, aji, and the like. In most areas in japan, that is what funayuki is. The only exception is in rural areas, they sometimes make them double bevel, but they are still deba-like knives. Only in the US is funayuki a type of gyuto.

No single bevel grind, no to sharpening 99% / 1% on the primary edge, or or both?

Single bevel gyutos in general dont make sense... the grind makes much less sense than a highly asymmetric edge, but neither is a good idea.

Jon hates this thread, I'm just gonna stop with it. Happy birthday Jon lol

lol...actually, its an important thread... a lot of people misunderstand these things, so i'm glad we're talking about them

Single bevel gyutos in general dont make sense... the grind makes much less sense than a highly asymmetric edge, but neither is a good idea.

Interesting I thin assem. gyuto's shallow angle close to the stone on both sides.Been doing your higher final bevel just on the cutting side,removing burr on backside.It is not a single bevel,but if you do this every time major sharpening the knife it takes on a more assem. flavor.I have done this to a couple of my J-Gyuto & they cut very well to me anyway.I have known Japanese National cooks here that sharpen their Gyuto's just on the cutting side.

asymmetrical is not bad, but double bevel knives are not designed to be sharpened to 90/10 or 99/1 asymmetries. Also, keep in mind that even if chefs do this (and even if they are japanese), many of them have their knives fixed by professional sharpeners who do not do this. I used to sharpen this way also, until i went to japan and started learning under chefs, but more importantly, professional sharpeners there. Not one person that i've trained under in japan sharpens double bevel knives that way. Moreover, not one professional sharpener in Japan that i've talked to (and i know quite a few) think this is a good idea (and i've asked all of them).

Single beveled gyuto, or suji or any western knife doesn't make much sense - there is a good reason why there is only one or two makers who produce them.

Hybrid honesuki/mukimono/paring knife is the only knife in my opinion that could see a limited use and most of it will come from fabricating poultry.

M

Back