Single bevel gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have seen that one back on the old forum. Now I wonder what the purpose of that knife was.

M

I think the purpose of a single bevel gyuto serves the same purpose as a rolex watch that doesn't work. It's the fact that you were able to obtain and own one even though it doesn't serve it's original purpose very well.

I think the purpose of a single bevel gyuto serves the same purpose as a rolex watch that doesn't work. It's the fact that you were able to obtain and own one even though it doesn't serve it's original purpose very well.

I don't know of a Rolex watch with a flawed design. A broken Rolex can fixed, but a single beveled gyuto can't, unless you regrind it into a much smaller double-beveled knife, but the work you have to put into it, makes it not worth it.

It's simply a flawed design by whoever doesn't understand the purpose of a chefs knife in Western cuisine. And that is the reason you don't see single-beveled gyutos out there, well, almost.

Asymmetric bevel is often seen on a knife that is flat ground somewhat thick edge (I would say .020-.025") thick and then a wide bevel cut on one side and deburred on the other. The thicker the edge, the wider the bevel has to be to cut, so some of folks can confuse it for a single bevel, but it is not.

A

I don't know of a Rolex watch with a flawed design. A broken Rolex can fixed, but a single beveled gyuto can't, unless you regrind it into a much smaller double-beveled knife, but the work you have to put into it, makes it not worth it.

Hahahaha, you win this round Marko. I can't argue with that. :thumbsup:

I just hope people got the general point I was trying to make.

I was clicking around some Japanese sites, and came across this page:

http://www.utihamono.com/houcho/gyutoum-k.html

和式牛刀 片刃 Which I believe is Single bevel Wa-gyuto , and I said huh?

Then I started googling and this thread popped up. Anyone seen/used these before?

In case anyone is actually looking for one. JCK has blue #2 single bevel wa petty/santoku/gyutos. It is their FRKZ house series.

FBS-1 through 5

At least they advertise it as single bevel.

Is not single bevel gyuto an oxymoron on itself? o_/

Really curious as to how well/bad they work in real life.

Those Tesshu blades are really cool. The edge will be more fragile than a DB Gyuto. With these a micro bevel is a good idea to add a little strength to the edge. As with any SB they can get razor sharp on a polishing stone. You are deff. limited with the kind of foods you cut with it. Nothing too hard.

If those had the same grind on both sides I would have bought one already

A single bevel gyuto sounds horrid, I can't imagine any possible benefits and see a LOT of problems.

I would wager that anyone who would benefit from a single bevel gyuto is either mistaken or using their gyuto in a way which would be much better suited to a traditional single bevel knife.

Yeah, I can imagine how awkward it would be. I'm just usually curious about things that don't make sense. :)

Hmm.. interesting. I've never had a single bevel before, so I don't understand some of the discussion here. need to go try one out.

Latest posts

Back