some recent work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NkKRmQI.jpg

4YiDqf8.jpg

Like.

Would you share your thots on Zwear vs Cru wear vs Magna, etc?
I don’t have enough use experience with Magnacut to give any qualified opinion. However a few pro chefs customers have commented that they are very happy with the performance using Magnacut at work.

I wonder if there’s any noticeable practical difference between Magnacut and zwear/cruwear, given that geometry/grind are so important in cutting performance.

I can’t think of any customers that have both steels to give me their experience.

Update -
Thread 'wear resistant steel comparison'
wear resistant steel comparison

Last edited:
I've had one of each long enough to feel like I have a couple thoughts. Magnacut by Dan, CPM CruWear by Harbeer. Both seem to hold a toothy edge quite well, for a quite a long time. Both seem to have somewhat low toughness, definitely get some microchips during normal use.

Like Harbeer said, the sharpening angle had a huge impact on my perceived sharpness. The magnacut originally had a workhorse grind, quite beefy. I'd say sharpening was at least 20 degrees per side or so. Maybe more. Had a hard time getting an edge I liked even on diamond stones. Just didn't feel toothy enough. Was clearly sharp but not aggressive. After a weight loss program, it slimmed down and has a 12-15 degree angle. It's a different knife. And that difference has persisted. It wasn't a fresh off the stones thing.

Given all that, I still haven't put enough time on these edges to need sharpening. The chips may finally be the motivating factor, not dullness. If anything I could wish for a slightly softer HRC and a bit more toughness. I don't think of myself as hard on edges. But I do have a maple board, and don't fret cutting apple seeds so maybe I am.

They both seem to resist acid well, no patina on either.

Both are in the drawer full time, have been for months.

Worth noting I also have an AEBL by Dan next to them. All three have about the same number of miles on the edge. None have needed sharpening. But the AEBL hasn't chipped, and it has the slimmest grind of all three.

Last edited:
Given all that, I haven't put enough time on these edges to need sharpening. The chips may be the motivating factor, not dullness. If anything I could wish for a slightly softer HRC and a bit more toughness.
Oh dear, I can hear someone foaming in the background...

Back