Stone Findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1561102891...-9be7-92c4b5d57a12|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage

Broken Rosy Red Washita - should be a rather easy repair and the price might not go too high, due to the damage...Maybe the collectors won't be bidding because of it:)..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1863264723...a0egA5uDdiq2SB6SrNM5OOC14=|tkp:Bk9SR4Sj59PHYw

And a WWD Washita (they are really hard to get, almost equally to Rosy Reds), quite expensive, of course, but it might be worth it, I owned one (which I bought in auction as well, for basically identical price as this one ad it was only 6 inch long) and it was an excelent, extremely fast stone with a SG on the level of a Rosy Red (this one even looks more like a RR)..

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpeg
    IMG_4694.jpeg
    884.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4691.jpeg
    IMG_4691.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 0
Looks like someone pulled a rejected hunk of ore from the rubble the surrounds the old mine entrances. Would make a novel table ornament, but ¥5m yen is utterly laughable. You could get at least 25kg of the absolute highest grade suita for that lol
Its only 4000 yen with only 5 hours left to run.

I had someone keep outbidding me and put a hard cap at $1k

I would have taken another $500-1k with of equipment and many hours to cut that behemoth of a rock up.

Oh well
Would’ve been a fun project, but having bought a few things like this at auction, they’re rarely great quality stock. Fun and worthwhile for a few hundred bucks but not something you should spend big money on as the ending stones usually aren’t the best.

Would’ve been a fun project, but having bought a few things like this at auction, they’re rarely great quality stock. Fun and worthwhile for a few hundred bucks but not something you should spend big money on as the ending stones usually aren’t the best.
Kinda reminds me of those people in china buying rocks hoping it’s going to be some rare jade inside but get burned with a worthless plain old rock.

I have several that I think might be. But I haven't managed to get one with a label.
That brown slurry and the mica sparkles are pretty good identifiers.

It's a tiny thing but I'm going to see how it does with some pocketknives.

I have several that I think might be. But I haven't managed to get one with a label.
I'm loving the edges the stone produces on my carbon steel pocketknives, just the right amount of toothy edge.
It's hard to get a feel for the speed of the stone though working with such a small hone and knives. I think Pike claimed they were fast. What is your experience?

Found a lovely little upcycling hardware store, grabbed these.
  1. No name synthetic stone, great cheap sacrificial stone.
  2. Washita of some sort, maybe red, maybe oil stained
  3. Lily white washita with nice condition label
View attachment 311354

View attachment 311355
View attachment 311356
What's the dimensions of the Lily White? The label looks comparatively much smaller than on the most common 8x2 inch ones...So I wonder if its some really rare,huge specimen or just some smaller label?!

Back