Takeda: not impressed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm voting for Dave. It's now tied. Hahaha

I have no experience with these knives (don't like the big clunky looks of them) but seeing that photo of the edge I'd definitely agree with DaveM. Totally short bevels and fat behind the edge. They're leaving lots and lots of work for the customer do - perhaps this saves them work themselves - and looks like lots of heavy work on coarse stones is in order to get the right angles. I'd even send an email to Takeda asking - hint, hint - what they'd suggest as the knife's not close to being in the right condition to use, which is what it should be more or less when it's sold. It's right for them to assume their customers can handle some stuff, but this looks like too much.

Given the cost, I didn't expect to have to do anything with it. I may have to sell my kidney to fix it lol

for what its worth, if i were to do something to it, there would be a heck of a lot less kurouchi

for what its worth, if i were to do something to it, there would be a heck of a lot less kurouchi

I know :(

It may be my only choice though if it can't be returned. I just hate that its pretty much useless give the money spent.

To try an keep you from feeling bad about this purchase, I have been in the same boat several times. I have one knife that I really like the way it looks, but that's about all it's good for. It's way too thick for vegetables, carrots and potatoes "crack" when you try to cut them up. Want to cut an onion in half, forgetaboutit. You're looking at the ultimate wedgie.

Hopefully the seller will take it back.

Erilyn, I would not fret. Shoshi Takeda will fix the problem but I can't believe Chubo knives should stand behind their product. It hasn't been sharpened yet, right?

It has. I thought it just needed to be sharpened so I made my first attempt at it last night. I knew I shoulda left it alone. I'm waiting to see what Jeremy says, then go from there.

Travis, but we will see what E8 brings. Might go someplace else. Yes, I've heard Edwards is "out" there.

It's out there in more ways than one lol. If it ever pops up on your list, go anywhere else. This base has no care for AF regs. It all about who you know and how much you pucker!

Possible suggestion to another member: I don't live in the States, but if I were near Edwards AFB I'd be happy to thin this down. Perhaps someone else might be interested. I mean, if you enjoy messing with these things and have lots of stones around that don't really see that much use because, well, you're a home cook anyway and how often can you really sharpen your knives, then why not have a go. Hehe, but if not you can ship it to one of the pro sharpeners.

For what it's worth, I had a similar reaction to my fav knife when I received it, though not so extreme and it didn't need so much work - man, too thick, this'll take some work - but took care of it et voila.

Definitely. And much better to do with that water wheel thingy-ma-bob than normal stones, time-wise at least.

Actually what the best fix for that knife would be is to give it to Devin. He could throw that knife back into the fire and then take that giant mechanical hammer he's got and smash the heck out it. :bladesmith:

That knife is not properly ground. You bought a kitchen knife, not a bushcrafting or woodcarving tool. Your #1 choice has to be to try to return it to the maker for replacement or remedy. It should not matter at all if you sharpened it because that knife needs to be ground properly to turn it into a useful kitchen knife.

Does anyone know why his knives have gotten worst. Are they just easier to pump out that way. It is a real shame. Erilyn sorry to hear this but if it is any comfort I've had similar things happen quite a few times. There have been more then a few knives that I've been very excited about then when they arrived I was very disappointed.

What's unique about Takeda is that it caves in on the middle part of the blade, that's from the manufacturing process and in your cade they didn't finish that part, I would demand an exchange. I just got a brand new one myself and while the 'grind' is not ideal, at least the blade itself was fine.

Good luck. The profile concept itself seems to be OK, or even advantageous in some circumstances, but it seems a lot of blades are coming out too thick and don't lend themselves well to thinning on stones.

Just for fun, try emailing Mr. Takeda with short-form English asking what the problem is. Tell him you can cut well with other knives but the Takeda gets stuck easily, and some sharpeners have told you the blade is too thick behind the edge. Ask what he thinks is wrong, and if it can be fixed. He seems like a decent fellow and his English is good by Japanese standards. Even if you return it, perhaps some insight from the maker would be useful.

first it needs to be sharpened by someone who knows what they are doing. Secondly don't buy Takeda.

Good luck. The profile concept itself seems to be OK, or even advantageous in some circumstances, but it seems a lot of blades are coming out too thick and don't lend themselves well to thinning on stones.

Just for fun, try emailing Mr. Takeda with short-form English asking what the problem is. Tell him you can cut well with other knives but the Takeda gets stuck easily, and some sharpeners have told you the blade is too thick behind the edge. Ask what he thinks is wrong, and if it can be fixed. He seems like a decent fellow and his English is good by Japanese standards. Even if you return it, perhaps some insight from the maker would be useful.

IF shipping from USA to Japan is not prohibitive, I wld ship it to him to have it fixed. Shipping from Japan is not expensive. Before that email to him. I can't truly judge just from the picture as there is no reference as to the size of the choil.

Who knows.. he may give you a new one, grinded to the way you like it.

He is quite proficient in English and will respond in a curt manner; at least form my experience. I attribute it to the fact that English is not his first language.

I am enjoying his Miorishi deba.. which acts as a Petty knife 180mm double sided and may check out his double sided Deba. ( when available next year) It' s really an "ugly" looking knife to some people and to some rustic, and it really cuts and I like my knife to be unpretentious, ugly looking and cuts like a ...........

Rgds
d

Any maker worth his salt would take problems with his products seriously.

i would love to hear from takeda what the actual reason is for changing over to the new grind. i see no real advantage in using it. i wonder if you can "request"an old grind,if you order direct?

It's the same old story- too big too fast. He's passing off the work to other guys, who don't have the experience, due to high demand. Some guys- like carter- just charge more. Others try and pump out more knives to make up for the lack of supply. There's probably a good metaphor regarding cut corners and knives, but I can't think of one right now for the life of me...

It's free? It notifies you out the ass when somebody just looks at something you posted, and now you can email, call, make an omelette, and get a quote on your car insurance through FB.

It's free? It notifies you out the ass when somebody just looks at something you posted, and now you can email, call, make an omelette, and get a quote on your car insurance through FB.

LOL! If it would only clean my house....

Jeremy got back with me. He said what you all have been saying about it being thick behind the edge. Recommended thinning the blade and also recommended Dave for that service ;)

He said if it's still wedging or I'm not happy with it after trying to thin or sharpen at a lesser angle, I can return it for another Sasahona or a different knife altogether.

So, anyone want a project? Pretty please with a sweet little cherry on top?

Nicely done Chubo.

Oh, and not me. I just thinned a Takeda last week....

Nah...go for the replacement...fast

Jeremy got back with me. He said what you all have been saying about it being thick behind the edge. Recommended thinning the blade and also recommended Dave for that service ;)

He said if it's still wedging or I'm not happy with it after trying to thin or sharpen at a lesser angle, I can return it for another Sasahona or a different knife altogether.

So, anyone want a project? Pretty please with a sweet little cherry on top?

Back