Takeda: not impressed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's unique about Takeda is that it caves in on the middle part of the blade, that's from the manufacturing process and in your cade they didn't finish that part, I would demand an exchange. I just got a brand new one myself and while the 'grind' is not ideal, at least the blade itself was fine.

I noticed this, but just figured it wasn't the normal tall gyuto. Anyone else have one of the sasonohas for reference?

It looks like He's getting a very acute edge, but wow, did you see the shoulders on that guy? That's linebacker material...

edit** after looking at it on my laptop and not the celly, the concavity is there, slightly. Honestly, thinning the high shoulders wouldn't just move them back, but blend them into the slight concavity, making it a mess...

I would exchange this knife since it was offered to you. Could it be fixed?... Yes. Will it be the same knife or the knife you originally wanted/ordered?... No.

Throw it back, but ask to see a choil shot of the replacement to save yourself the hassle of dealing with this again.

You're right, it wouldn't be the same the knife after all the work that is needed to make it serviceable, IF it can even be done. Not to mention the additional cost to have it done. I think I'll email him and ask to return it. Any recommendations on a good wa handle from there to exchange it with?

Wow, my screen just blew up with message notifications and offers to thin. Thank you guys, you're truly the best! Do you think I should try it? Would it end up being significantly different?

I agree that your best option is to send it back. Then, if you want a direct replacement, get choil shots before they send it out to you. Otherwise go with another option.

I don't know if the seller has them in-stock, but at least from what I've seen in-person at a store around here, the kiritsuke-gyutos have the thin geometry that Takeda's knives used to have. The gyutos and sosanohas seem to have moved towards the thick end with big shoulders.

I have many of his knives, have bought tye 1st one maybe 12-15 years ago and the last one about 2 years ago. I can say for certain that much like myself he gets fatter every year.

I would suggest exchanging it for another knife, honestly. None of the recent Takeda choil shots I've seen have given me any confidence that they are good cutters. The old ones rocked, so it's a real shame.

getting it thinned would make it cut better, but you still would not get the full benefit of having a takeda. i say exchange it for either an upto standard takeda or something else entirely.

when I said "another knife," i meant "another brand of knife." Unfortunately, Chubo doesn't have a great selection. Nenox maybe? It might need to be sharpened, but it will be thin.

Ok I have 2 options. I can send the knife back to Jeremy for another knife or I can send it to Takeda. I just got an email from him asking that I send it to him. I'm leaning toward that, what do you think?

i had similar experience even after thinning it does not perform as good as my gesshin ginga. I say buy something else.

Has a full refund been discussed? A mulligan on this one seems like your best option. If refund is not in cards I would be done with Chobaco (sp?) and +another on going right to Takeda.

Id send it to Takeda. If anyone can turn that sucker into a razorblade, it would be him. I hoep he's sorry about putting out crap knives lately and goes back to his old ways. I really want to try one of his stainless but am scared that its all poopoo.

It's going in the mail today. I about had a fit when I saw the shipping prices. Why does it cost less to ship to the US than it does from the US? I think our postal service needs an overhaul!

It's going in the mail today. I about had a fit when I saw the shipping prices. Why does it cost less to ship to the US than it does from the US? I think our postal service needs an overhaul!

You should try shipping from or in Canada if you think the US is expensive.

You should try shipping from or in Canada if you think the US is expensive.

Haha so true!! 7 bucks and delivered to Vancouver in 4 days from Japan, 27 and delivered in 15 from Montreal

FWIW, it costs way more than $7 to ship a knife from Japan... you are not being charged the entire cost of shipping

I can appreciate that I suppose we chalk it up to customer service then....

I"m a huge fan of Takeda's knives and I think that some of the criticism on new work is misplaced an due to the frothy hysteria that gets whipped up very easily whenever certain people say anything negative about a knife / maker.

I've seen pics of a few and even used one new Takeda and all were perfectly fine. They could have benefited from some tweaking, but personally, I'd rather have my knives show up on the conservatively over vs under side of thickness. It's always easier to take metal off than put it back on...

That said, I do believe that Takeda is starting to experience some quality control issues and that you just got a fat lemon. Choil shots, especially on forged blades can be deceptive, but yours looked pretty terrible and not like something that can or should be fixed by sharpening. It needed to be fixed with a hammer when the steel was still hot.

Good luck with the exchange. You might try one of his original, taller shaped blades and perhaps have a better chance getting something that's been completely forged to the propper thickness.

Id send it to Takeda. If anyone can turn that sucker into a razorblade, it would be him. I hoep he's sorry about putting out crap knives lately and goes back to his old ways. I really want to try one of his stainless but am scared that its all poopoo.

Pretty sure I read he had huge issues with the stainless clad, and put it on hault...

off topic but i would guess takedas are not very well suited for unseasoned knife enthusiasts to begin with.. then again, it's probably a better learning experience diving into the deep end.

it looks like a 60/40 bevel and bit thick behind the edge, easy to fix if you have the right machinery, doing it by hand takes a bit longer ;)
i guess it thins out towars it's tip?

sending it back is the right thing to do

Back