The Deals, Discounts, & Sales Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bleh...$65 (AUD, ~$45 USD ) shipping to US makes Protooling a nonstarter, unfortunately. It clearly doesnt HAVE to be this way. K&S Australia, for example, ships to US for $14.
$600usd for free shipping is a pretty steep threshold as well.

I guess if you use the discount you could buy a couple knives and make it work instead of one pricier knife

$600usd for free shipping is a pretty steep threshold as well.

I guess if you use the discount you could buy a couple knives and make it work instead of one pricier knife
It's actually 600 AUD for the free shipping threshold, not 600 USD. Still pricier than most but for DHL Express from AU that's decently fair IMO (but then again ProTooling has hooked me up with some nice deals so I'm biased).

Bleh...$65 (AUD, ~$45 USD ) shipping to US makes Protooling a nonstarter, unfortunately. It clearly doesnt HAVE to be this way. K&S Australia, for example, ships to US for $14.
Shipping is $65usd-80USD to Australia from a Carbon, Bernal, Tosho etc. (but is free from Tetogi). It’s pretty standard and depends on what the business is willing to wear. KNS probably bears more of the shipping cost to be competitive internationally.

ahh that’s quite a bit better!
I have always been amazed about ProTooling's shipping. They try to ship the knife out the same day via DHL express and I normally get it in NY two days later. I have bought from most of the bigger US retailers. Pretty crazy to me that I can get a knife much faster from ProTooling than Korin, MTC or Strada...one time I placed an order around 4pm Sydney time, I received an email from Paul himself explaining the DHL guy just left and he wouldn't be able to ship until the next morning...with strong USD, ProTooling also often has something that's cheaper than the US retailers

I have always been amazed about ProTooling's shipping. They try to ship the knife out the same day via DHL express and I normally get it in NY two days later. I have bought from most of the bigger US retailers. Pretty crazy to me that I can get a knife much faster from ProTooling than Korin, MTC or Strada...one time I placed an order around 4pm Sydney time, I received an email from Paul himself explaining the DHL guy just left and he wouldn't be able to ship until the next morning...with strong USD, ProTooling also often has something that's cheaper than the US retailers
that actually makes sense if their volume or orders is small and they are a small shop and if only 1-3 people pack. once order comes in, it can take you 5-10 min to pack a knife... wrap it carefully, put in a box, seal and make a label.

for larger shops, that have separate warehouse, departments, all of those things take much more time!

Chef Armory out of Sydney got me a knife to Montana through DHL, faster than both CarbonKnifeCo out of Denver and CKTG out of Madison. Only faster shipping / delivery was JKI. No shade to any of the retailers mentioned, I was just *shocked* at how fast that knife came from Australia lol.

that actually makes sense if their volume or orders is small and they are a small shop and if only 1-3 people pack. once order comes in, it can take you 5-10 min to pack a knife... wrap it carefully, put in a box, seal and make a label.

for larger shops, that have separate warehouse, departments, all of those things take much more time!
By “big”, I meant big name as apposed to physically big. I wouldn’t say any of the US stores are actually big…

The point of my reply was not to criticize US stores. Everyone has their own operating model. Cost of doing business is very different between NYC and Portland. Faster service generally means more expenses. That said, ProTooling stood out to me. I get knives to my door from ProTooling faster than most of the US retailers can even ship the knife out.

381C3AB2-0B75-48F4-AD43-3649CE31A95E.jpeg
Darto two for one sale tomorrow starting at 10 am GMT-3.
https://www.dartointernational.com/

are they cast iron or carbon steel?
Carbon steel. They're pretty nice. Smooth cooking surface, a bit unfinished on the edges, but nothing that bad.

I have several of the skillets and like them a lot.

Carbon steel. They're pretty nice. Smooth cooking surface, a bit unfinished on the edges, but nothing that bad.

I have several of the skillets and like them a lot.
What a weird coincidence. My De Buyer arrived just moments ago (my first carbon steel pan) and when I took it out of the box I realized it was slightly too large for fried eggs and sat down to see about getting a smaller carbon steel pan only to see this pop up.

What a weird coincidence. My De Buyer arrived just moments ago (my first carbon steel pan) and when I took it out of the box I realized it was slightly too large for fried eggs and sat down to see about getting a smaller carbon steel pan only to see this pop up.
These will be somewhat thicker/heavier than typical DeBuyer carbon pans. Standard Darto pans are 3mm thick, DeBuyer Mineral B is 2.5mm.

I prefer them over DeBuyer. They're pretty much indestructible, and the single piece body/handle means no rivets to clean around. You can cook on the stove, in the oven, on the grill, over a fire, and then turn around and clonk someone on the head.

Just don't drop it on your toe, breaking your floor, your toe, and your relationship with @BillHanna.

Last edited:
Also I am dumb and completely missed this...which is why I asked
View attachment 315570
Two more thoughts.

1. The 15cm is a small boi. If you want to cook a single egg, it's a good size, but I can cook a single egg on a 25cm and then cook other things in it as well.

2. the "linen oil" finish needs to be entirely stripped before you attempt to season the pan. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's a seasoning coating. It is absolutely not.

Yeah I got the Mineral B Pro so its all metal and can be used anywhere but the first thing I noticed about it was the way they did the handle. Not super happy about how easily water and food will get trapped in the joint and how hard that'll be to clean. The mono-construction of the Darto is certainly appealing.

And yeah I realized after taking that screenshot I was looking at the wrong (too small) pan

Yeah, I just whipped out my tape measure to measure just that on the De Buyer. Thats fine. I need a 6" pan so the added weight should not be too crazy on such a small pan.
What is your application for Panocchio?

I bought a sauté no. 27 and a paella no. 35 last month after learning about them here, and I’ve been using them pretty much nonstop. They’re ideal for searing, but I’ve used them for everything from kimchi fried rice to corn fritters with excellent results. Pretty attractive once seasoned as well.
7C00320A-A314-4845-B0E6-A5B069570F60.jpeg

I bought a sauté no. 27 and a paella no. 35 last month after learning about them here, and I’ve been using them pretty much nonstop. They’re ideal for searing, but I’ve used them for everything from kimchi fried rice to corn fritters with excellent results. Pretty attractive once seasoned as well.View attachment 315576
Do you find the walls of the paella to be too short or just right?

Latest posts

Back