the ideal omelette pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so I could get a layer there for preventing rust issues if nothing else

I season the outside of my cast iron pans for this reason, and to make them non-stick for the purpose of using them as a makeshift pannini press. I think Alton Brown had an episode that featured this technique, as well as that dude from Extra Virgin, Gabriele Corcos. It works well.

Cheers,

Jack

Does anyone else find it strange that a chemical process that involves bonding of fats to metal is so inconsistent. If you google how to season a pan using the flaxseed method the same results turn up time and time again.

1. I did it 6 - 11 times and it works great
2. I did it and it didn't work and eggs stick like crazy
3. I gave up and just started using it and eventually it will develop a seasoning on its own

Personally, I went through 6 rounds in the oven @ 500 being careful to using thin layers. The pan was super even and brown. I then proceed to try to cook an egg with a tablespoon of clarified butter. I checked the temp using infrared and it was around 260 degrees before I dropped the egg in. It sizzled and then completely stuck to the pan. I took washed it out and the process of removing the egg also removed almost all the seasoning.

I'm trying again this time making sure I let the pan cool completely before applying the next layer. I am very confused as to why a seemingly scientific chemical process with limited variables doesn't work the exact same each and every time. Can someone who failed and then succeeded offer some insight as to what I might be doing wrong?

I only cook once a week so developing a natural finish would take years. If I can't get this to work, I might just have to go back to buying non-stick.

For me, I did about 10 coatings before first use. It kept sticking, but I just kept using it with a bit more oil, then rinse after use and put it back on the stove top. Took about 6-8omelettes before I can do Omurice style omelette without sticking... But now it works pretty well.

I'm trying again this time making sure I let the pan cool completely before applying the next layer. I am very confused as to why a seemingly scientific chemical process with limited variables doesn't work the exact same each and every time. Can someone who failed and then succeeded offer some insight as to what I might be doing wrong?

I only cook once a week so developing a natural finish would take years. If I can't get this to work, I might just have to go back to buying non-stick.

I believe you may have answered your own question about why the rather straightforward process doesn't work exactly the same for everyone...part of the process you followed does speak specifically about letting the pan cool completely between sessions and if you did not...

The other method that works well is the potato and salt method recommended by cooks kitchen/Americas test kitchen (?). It gives a really nice slippery finish to begin but ultimately it comes down to having to use the pans as much as possible...the more use the less stick and the reverse holds equally true.

Does anyone else find it strange that a chemical process that involves bonding of fats to metal is so inconsistent. If you google how to season a pan using the flaxseed method the same results turn up time and time again.

1. I did it 6 - 11 times and it works great
2. I did it and it didn't work and eggs stick like crazy
3. I gave up and just started using it and eventually it will develop a seasoning on its own

Personally, I went through 6 rounds in the oven @ 500 being careful to using thin layers. The pan was super even and brown. I then proceed to try to cook an egg with a tablespoon of clarified butter. I checked the temp using infrared and it was around 260 degrees before I dropped the egg in. It sizzled and then completely stuck to the pan. I took washed it out and the process of removing the egg also removed almost all the seasoning.

260 in F or C? I think either is wrong, I found that too hot would cause sticking for eggs (unlike a sear for a steak).

My pans were probably "warm" when I started the process again, plus I always preheated to about 200-225 F before applying oil.

obsidiank, the problem is that these people writing the procedures are not hard core scientists writing the procedures, also not peer edited to anything worth it's salt. And lastly there are a lot of environmental variables that effect everybody's labs/kitchens so really best of luck. Also until you really get a great seasoning or use an artery clogging amount of oil don't cook eggs on the pan, cook meats and mei fun and fried rice, but omelets in particular just suck up tons of oil and latch on to everything it possibly can. For my personal health, I've switched back to non-sticks for omelets but sunny side up eggs my mineral b doesn't have a problem with.

btw does anybody like a crunchy bottom on their sunny side up eggs?

obsidiank, the problem is that these people writing the procedures are not hard core scientists writing the procedures, also not peer edited to anything worth it's salt. And lastly there are a lot of environmental variables that effect everybody's labs/kitchens so really best of luck. Also until you really get a great seasoning or use an artery clogging amount of oil don't cook eggs on the pan, cook meats and mei fun and fried rice, but omelets in particular just suck up tons of oil and latch on to everything it possibly can. For my personal health, I've switched back to non-sticks for omelets but sunny side up eggs my mineral b doesn't have a problem with.

btw does anybody like a crunchy bottom on their sunny side up eggs?
"btw does anybody like a crunchy bottom on their sunny side up eggs?"
I do for sure.

A company called Zyliss makes a frying pan with a kind of textured, white speckled non-stick layer. I bought it about 2 years ago and it has seen a lot of use. So far the non-stick layer hasn't deteriorated at all. Best non-stick pan I've ever used and perfect for omelettes.

https://www.zyliss.co.uk/cook-frying-pans/zyliss-cook-28cm-non-stick-frying-pan.html
Wish they made a non stick crepe pan. I have a Mauviel carbon steel crepe pan but the wife wants her very own non stick crepe pan but research has me more confused then ever as which is the better buy and that will last the longest.I don't really care to spend a hundred bucks or more if the coating will go bad in just a couple years. Don't want to go belly up either if the coating causes health problems.The Zyliss looks good too but they are in the UK and I am here in the U.S.,shipping.

Grunt, if you are looking for a dedicated crepe pan that just get a cast iron one. I invested in a Skeppshult and that thing is perfect with basically zero maintenance. I use a silicone brush to spread as little (rice) oil as possible when using it and never got a crepe to stick.

I've been using the Mauviel M'steel carbon pans to sear proteins and cook eggs.
Once you clean off the bee's wax they ship in, seasoning and maintenance is simple and easy.
I much prefer these to any crap, coated aluminum, non-stick....

Since this thread has beeen resurrected I may as well add that I’ve also purchased the De Buyer Mineral B omelette pan (think that was what the OP was after… been a couple years now lol). Works really well and the curved sides make it easy to do the flip

Grunt, if you are looking for a dedicated crepe pan that just get a cast iron one. I invested in a Skeppshult and that thing is perfect with basically zero maintenance. I use a silicone brush to spread as little (rice) oil as possible when using it and never got a crepe to stick.
I would consider that myself if I didn't already have a Mauviel M steel crepe pan but for some reason,the wife wants a coated crepe pan to replace her old T-fol from years and years ago.I try to warn her about the hazards of teflon coating.She just likes the light weight.I like that Skeppshult pan and did a research and came up with this. https://pleasanthillgrain.com/skeppshult-cast-iron-crepe-pan-original
It's only 6.5 inches and almost 80 bucks.Still looks like a heck of a pan though.

Last edited:
I've been using the Mauviel M'steel carbon pans to sear proteins and cook eggs.
Once you clean off the bee's wax they ship in, seasoning and maintenance is simple and easy.
I much prefer these to any crap, coated aluminum, non-stick....
I have to agree with you.

I would consider that myself if I didn't already have a Mauviel M steel crepe pan but for some reason,the wife wants a coated crepe pan to replace her old T-fol from years and years ago.I try to warn her about the hazards of teflon coating.She just likes the light weight.I like that Skeppshult pan and did a research and came up with this. https://pleasanthillgrain.com/skeppshult-cast-iron-crepe-pan-original
It's only 6.5 inches and almost 80 bucks.Still looks like a heck of a pan though.

I understand. Have a look also at the pan from Scanpan. It was recommended to my by a friend of mine whose mom uses one (frying pan) for years and it apparently still works great: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000IG1C3K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand. Have a look also at the pan from Scanpan. It was recommended to my by a friend of mine whose mom uses one (frying pan) for years and it apparently still works great: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000IG1C3K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Lol,easy on me Matus.I am 71 and my German from my 10th grade class in High School is a little rusty. I did find that pan on Amazon though in English. That is one that I had considered for the wife.

This is the Zyliss pan I have after 2 years of almost daily use. It has lost a little bit of its non stick voodoo but compared to other pans it's holding up terrific.

20180930_174243.jpg

FWIW, the Amazon retailer in the link is Lehmanss, the same folks that carry the Gude knives in the states. They send discount coupons, sale info periodically if you subscribe to their site.

Please report back :)
Well,the wife's Scanpan showed up today. I haven't had time to try it out yet but might have to whip up a crepe batter and give it a go. The pan looks like a nice solid pan and well made and doesn't look or feel cheap.My wife was all smiles,even after just coming back from having a tooth pulled.:eek:

Back