The Jiro Users Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkayMode

Incel who can’t cook (or polish)
Reaction score
There's an awful lot of hype around Jiro knives, but not a lot of actual content documenting user experiences and feedback.

I currently have three in my possession spanning #077 - #459 and one of the most noticeable differences between them all is how much the grind has changed over time.

Hopefully this thread will act as an ongoing resource for people to feedback (honestly) on their experiences, so that others can make a more informed decision on whether they really want one, or if they might have temporarily fallen victim to the hype machine.

To kick us off, here are the choil shots for my 180mm nakiri, 240mm, and 255mm gyutos.

#077 Nakiri:
IMG_8256.jpeg

#229 240mm Gyuto:
IMG_8257.jpeg

#459 255mm Gyuto:
IMG_8258.jpeg

So far i've only had the chance to put the nakiri to work on a batch of matchstick carrots and radish for pickling, and i'll start with some early impressions there.

For such a tall knife with enough real estate to taper the grind, there was more cracking in carrots than I personally like, and would likely thin this a bit more if it stays with me longer term. It's important to note that this came to me used and and certainly repolished - so any work already undertaken may have altered the stock grind.

I have never used such a long nakiri before and wouldn't usually consider myself a nakiri fan, but the utility of a squared tip and additional length to what i've used in the past was quite fun albeit possibly more akin to a mini cleaver. Maybe there's a future for me as a rectangle fan.

The steel sharpened up super easily - raising a burr was a doddle and deburring was equally easy. Can't comment on retention and toughness yet, but no complaints so far.

Whilst I build up some experience with these knives, I hope others with more mileage on the clock will be able to chime in with their thoughts!

Last edited:
Got one of the fewer 270 Gyutos

#113 270 Gyuto choil:
20230411_110647.jpg

Did thin the bump on the right side. It's a heavyweight. 340g and 64cm heel height.
Wedges a little. Needs a bit more thinning on the right side but whenever I have spare funds I would like to send it to Milan.

All in all I adore it. Gets sharper then my denka.

I didn’t know bots could take pictures of there knives 🫣

(Sorry… I’ll see myself out.)
Considering they are all from very different time periods due to their serial numbers and it seems he got them all at once, I assume he bought all of them used, or at least 2/3

I’ve had my fair share of rants on here about bots before, although ultimately I’m sure nobody will ever admit to using one.

But the two older ones were bought through here, and the 255 was from Karasu’s drop and lasted long enough on the website for me to buy it (possibly because for the drop they tried to make it harder for bots to snipe everything).

Not surprising. I can get my W#1 Mab sharper than my Denka's. It just doesn't keep that peak sharpness very long
True. I just enjoy the way it sharpens. Zero edge splash the suita do passes for 30 seconds and the food prep is so much fun. It's also not horrendous as my mazaki w2 if I don't sharpen it for some weeks.

Off topic: I don't enjoy the Tanaka B1. Doesn't seem like my finer stones abrade the core steel. :(

This is #3, a no handle 210 that was purchased at Strata Portland, Maine by a member here. I purchased from here in Aug 2019, and had @pcpken build the handle. Actually measures 216mm by 51mm tall. Weighs 255 grams, which is in part because I asked Ken to make the handle hefty enough to balance the knife at the pinch. I used the knife a fair amount when new to me, but have since found other knives I prefer. In use, I found it able to take a great edge without too much effort, but I'd say not the best edge retention - pretty much expected for W1.
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg

My biggest critique will always be the KU rubs off after half a dozen uses

Very excited to read more in this thread. I see all the hype, but when I talk to people who have actually owned quite a few of his knives they all say similar things about the early knives (<#250ish) not cutting well at all, and the ku fading or wearing weird. A friend of mine actually sent one back to him for refinishing or something and he ended up adjusting the grind quite a bit as well, I’m assuming to match the grinds he’s doing on his more recent pieces. Either way, these are all just things i’ve heard in private conversations, I’m interested to see what the more collective opinion here becomes!

jiro 431 / 180mm petty
my favourite knife for brunoise / mincing garlic, shallots, ginger, etc. also quite nimble for in-hand work, despite its larger profile. wedges slightly on carrots and some harder vegetables. purchased new and have used it for maybe a 15-20 home dinner preps since february and none of the ku has seemed to rub off.

bought from stay sharp via timed drop, correctly guessing the URL and having cc info pre-filled with shop.

jiro_0000_180-1.jpg
jiro_0001_180-2.jpg

jiro 424 / 225mm gyuto
the best all-around performing knife i have (comparing it to konosuke mm b#2, tanaka kyuzo stainless b#1, kagekiyo w#2). its weight allows me to use very little pressure to glide into most product with push cuts. zero wedging on carrots and no resistance from the skin on tomatoes, bell peppers, etc. the heavier yo handle took a bit of time to get used to but now really enjoy it. also purchased new with ku still in tact after about 8-10 dinner preps.

bought from carbon via random drop time, refreshing like crazy at the right time.

jiro_0002_225-1.jpg
jiro_0003_225-2.jpg

i do admit that my initial intrigue was pretty much entirely due to aesthetics (uniqueness of the profiles, the impressionistic finish, singularity of each blade) and it does still contribute to my enjoyment while using but the performance is just as good or better than most others i've used (though my overall experience is limited compared to some of the people here).

Last edited:
How long usually does his white 1 holds up if I may ask?
Hard to give a scientific figure but I would say the W#1 peak sharpness is 25% that of TF AS. In other words for every time I have felt the need to touch up the AS edge the white steel has had 4. And that is for AS sharpened to a far more acute angle.

#375 WA suji 210
PXL_20230814_145415951.jpg

#373 WA gyuto 225
PXL_20230814_145447396.jpg

#394 WA suji 270
PXL_20230814_145640135.jpg

Have used all 3 and by Japanese knives standards they are pretty good compared to those I've tried so far. Edge retention test lasts me about 5 full days or so of slicing crusty steaks mainly before it needs a sharpen/touch up on stones.

Last edited:
As for the edge, experience with mine (#388 240 gyuto) has been good. I'd say retention is mid range, far from the best, no where near worst. Edge usually comes back nicely with a few strops on my Aizu. Only fully sharpened it once and it was a quick and easy affair.

Very excited to read more in this thread. I see all the hype, but when I talk to people who have actually owned quite a few of his knives they all say similar things about the early knives (<#250ish) not cutting well at all, and the ku fading or wearing weird. A friend of mine actually sent one back to him for refinishing or something and he ended up adjusting the grind quite a bit as well, I’m assuming to match the grinds he’s doing on his more recent pieces. Either way, these are all just things i’ve heard in private conversations, I’m interested to see what the more collective opinion here becomes!
Definetly fades easy:
How i got it:
220138-1b6d38fe1f41f2154164197f308e21d4.jpg

After cooking daily with it for 3 month:

20230621_124937.jpg

I always found Jiro KU mesmerizing. Even without seeing the whole knife, recognizing a Jiro is really easy. But man, I didn't know that the KU was fading away that quick!

Quite interesting. I'm not sure yet if I'm loving it or if I'm perplexed about it 😉

Back