The Jiro Users Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t get all the negativity about the “KU”. It’s obviously not a rough “typical” kurouchi, and regardless of what you call it or how it’s created, it’s just aesthetic. I personally like it, as it is unique and a clear signature style. But doesn’t affect performance.

My wa Jiro gyuto (#54) is an awesome performer all around. Great balance and weight, thin tip, great profile… at least on my relatively early example. Also most extreme distal taper of any Japanese knife I’ve handled, if that’s your thing.

If I find the time at some point I’ll post a more complete review to add to this thread, but I think the knife is priced reasonably, given the performance, unique style and attention put into each knife. Though probably most knives here are overhyped 😆. Anyway, I won’t be selling mine!

Does Jiro or Hitohira ever mention about his knife is KU finish? This is all is just your assumption right?
People also complain about "frozen vanilla desert" not technically being ice cream, which I think is a valid thing to point out despite the manufacturer and vendor never claiming it was.

I think “frozen dessert” is more like cheap mass production stainless knives that don’t take an edge. Here we are talking about whether quality mint chip (real ice cream) needs to have green food coloring or not, haha.

People also complain about "frozen vanilla desert" not technically being ice cream, which I think is a valid thing to point out despite the manufacturer and vendor never claiming it was.

My Jiro and the OG Jiro on the top.

Before you start complaining about the KU.

Does Jiro or Hitohira ever mention about his knife is KU finish? This is all is just your assumption right?

Jiro clearly wasn't using masking tape back then......:)

Tosho says it has a rustic kurouchi finish. Maybe we are all being duped.

Last edited:
Here some specs and pics of mine for reference:

Length: 250 mm
Height: 55 mm
Spine thickness at heel: 6.7 mm
Spine thickness 1 cm from tip: 1.0 mm
Weight: 260 g
Grind: convex
Hitohira link

IMG_4846.jpeg

IMG_4847.jpeg

IMG_4848.jpeg

I don’t get all the negativity about the “KU”. It’s obviously not a rough “typical” kurouchi, and regardless of what you call it or how it’s created, it’s just aesthetic. I personally like it, as it is unique and a clear signature style. But doesn’t affect performance.

My wa Jiro gyuto (#54) is an awesome performer all around. Great balance and weight, thin tip, great profile… at least on my relatively early example. Also most extreme distal taper of any Japanese knife I’ve handled, if that’s your thing.

If I find the time at some point I’ll post a more complete review to add to this thread, but I think the knife is priced reasonably, given the performance, unique style and attention put into each knife. Though probably most knives here are overhyped 😆. Anyway, I won’t be selling mine!

In my experience it is often the vendors and retailers that provide misinformation, not the blacksmiths. Jiro is a very proud man. I doubt he would be dishonest with his work. I have never seen him perpetuate a natural kurouchi, or perfectly hand flattened bevels. He rather emphasises a rustic approach to knifemaking, which isn't all wrong. If someone has proof otherwise then I'll eat my words 🤷

Jiro # 293 - 255mm

You can see the straight lines of slight rust I mentioned earlier that I may attempt to remove

Overall, I really enjoy using this knife. It does crack a little in the back half but the front half is a lot of fun.

My only complaint regarding this knife beyond the KU longevity is that all the edges are sharp, thus it’s an uncomfortable knife for long term usage. Definitely wouldn’t take this into a 12 hour kitchen shift

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg

I really like my Jiro 225mm gyuto too. No cracking on the thicker back end. Maybe because of the thinner spine than the 255. Glides through dense veggies like carrots and potatoes like my 2 other favorite workhorse gyutos, my 210 Watanabe and 210 Denka, with a thinner distal taper. Still very sharp even after ~10 dinner preps. The short neck and unique shape of the handle makes for a comfortable pinch grip and converts the 225 to a 210ish gyuto. The balance is exactly at the edge of the handle which encourages using all of that nice ergonomic Yo, which is perfect for my small hands(size 7.5 surgical gloves).
Agree with you on the sharp spine edges. Similar to the Denka but would prefer the comfort of the Wat. Would benefit from some rounding. Sure looks nice and straight all the way to the tang when looking at it from dorsal view, though.
The scarcity definitely contributes to the hype but the knife itself is worth hunting for, IMHO.

IMG_0011.jpeg

If you align the tips of the handles, it’s effectively a 210 gyuto(like the two on the right),with a pinch grip. The one on the left is a Sakai 240(TnH), for comparison.

Last edited:
Any indications of Jiro going back to the OG profile? Wondering if I should keep holding out hopes on the new batches or if I should start a thread looking to buy one of the original ones that look like a tall santoku, because it was imo the perfect knife shape visually

Any indications of Jiro going back to the OG profile? Wondering if I should keep holding out hopes on the new batches or if I should start a thread looking to buy one of the original ones that look like a tall santoku, because it was imo the perfect knife shape visually
Keep hoping, but all these people want a taller heel. The OG is only 48-49.

You could always voice it to Hitohira.

Are they? I’m seeing the production numbers below 350 as mostly being just shy of 60 mm at 225mm which I think is what gives them that santoku tip. That’s one of the things that catches my eye about them, they’re so tall for jknives

I pulled #388 240 out tonight to prep dinner.

IMG_0279.jpeg

I’m always impressed by it. I find it very comfortable to hold. It has just enough forward balance to let the knife fall through product without feeling overly blade heavy. Above average food release, especially toward the back, and the tip wisps through horizontal onion cuts. Someday I’ll polish it to get a better sense of the bevel geometry, which feels fairly complex.

Profile is very nice for me, flatish with no true flat spot and not too aggressively angled in relation to the spine. Looks wise it has that certain rustic je ne sais quoi that really appeals to me.

Finished dish: ravioli primavera with sausage
IMG_0280.jpeg

Maybe not the right thread, but have Jiro prices jumped dramatically? It seems that 6-8 months ago people were selling them for close to retail (not Hitohira) pricing. The discussion on his knives has dropped off, but what used to be $600-$800 knives seem to be more like $1,000-$1,200.

Maybe not the right thread, but have Jiro prices jumped dramatically? It seems that 6-8 months ago people were selling them for close to retail (not Hitohira) pricing. The discussion on his knives has dropped off, but what used to be $600-$800 knives seem to be more like $1,000-$1,200.
I paid $675 in 2020, which I guess is not that recent. But yeah, it seems like they are all over $1k now.

Is it fair to say that a Jiro over $1K isn't worth it? There are so many knives at that price point that id prefer. Dont get me wrong I really want a Jiro but not at the recent pricing.
It’s your decision. I’m a jiro owner but wouldn’t pay $1k or above for mine. Don’t get me wrong, I really like my Jiro, it’s a top 5 cutter for me all time but I can’t do current prices

Is it fair to say that a Jiro over $1K isn't worth it? There are so many knives at that price point that id prefer. Dont get me wrong I really want a Jiro but not at the recent pricing.
Hard to say. Personally I think that is way overpriced for what it represents. But thats coming from a guy who drops $1500 on a Kato and have no regrets, so what do I know.
Ultimately its all down to what someone is willing to pay. If you have to have a Jiro then $751 for a Yo 240 seems reasonable. Anything above that is getting into FOMO (blame IG for that) territory.

Last edited:
cool blades and quite unique but I wouldn’t pay much over retail. 800 is a lot of money for what it is Imo

Personally i love the look of the yo handles but the balance is so off..

Hi folks!
Recently, I was lucky enough to snag a Wa gyuto 210 #549 (actually 216x61) from Stay Sharp. As I own an older Yo 225 gyuto #424, I was pleasantly surprised that the spine and choil was nicely rounded in this new one. It is more comfortable to pinch grip for sure.

I want to compare notes with anyone who might have purchased one recently. Is this an old thing with his knives but only the Wa handled ones or is this a fairly new “evolution” of Jiro’s work?

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

Compared to this Yo gyuto
IMG_0339.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpeg

Pardon the crappy photos as I could only edit this on my phone.

Last edited:
Back