The work rotation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah, that certainly wasn't intentionally undisclosed. I had absolutely no idea! It felt and looked totally smooth to me. I'd be happy to reverse our transaction.

Well, its fixed now. If you're happy with the R2, no worries. Weird things happen to natural materials in transit. It is a brilliant cutter, though....

A rockin' 60 year old US made Ontario Knife Co. carbon 12" with wa conversion....loving this beast!

297298_10200418026469888_646622396_n.jpg

Glad you're rockin' that Ontario Chris. Too much blade for my board and besides I have a Dexter 12" conversion I don't really use. I sure didn't need two big guns. Mostly I wave it around to impress my wife's cat . . .
:goodevil: :bbq: :hungry:

I like your cck cleaver's handle...it is looking nice & right size for Chinese cleaver!! great work!

That's a great suji, you are going to love it. I really like the cleaver handle too. Why did you decide to not mount the handle flush with the blade?

10" vintage Forgecraft chef

Was pretty pitted and beat up. Really enjoy giving these old things some new life....

Still not very comfortable with shaping. Wondering what machines others use, for both wa's and westerns?

Wood is stabilized black ash burl
black fiber spacers
shamrock mosaic 1/8" pins

forgie.jpg

Going to try to slot and install a wa handle this afternoon; kind of scared.

Nice! It's amazing how cool these old Forgecrafts look with new shoes! GL with the wa.

Thanks guys,
Don, I've got a cheapy Ryobi band saw and drill press, and an even cheaper HF 1x30 belt... I'd like to upgrade the sander, but not sure what's best for handle making, that won't break the bank....

For wa handles, either a 4" wide belt sander, or a 9" disc sander work great. And for shaping, try using the edges of the slack on your belts. It really works great. You're making some nice looking stuff, already, by the way.

Thanks Tom,
I was thinking about picking up a wider belt for the flats.
I'm content with what I'm turning out, but once the end results match my initial vision, I will truly be happy. Things seem to morph into their own form, lol.

You would not believe how many handles I made with that cheapy Ryobi 4x36 belt sander ($100@ Hm Depot) and it is still going strong. It's my butt bevel sander now. I still like using it even after upgrading. It is perfect for the hobbyist. IMO

Thanks guys,
Don, I've got a cheapy Ryobi band saw and drill press, and an even cheaper HF 1x30 belt... I'd like to upgrade the sander, but not sure what's best for handle making, that won't break the bank....

Mike, I've been thinking about picking that very same sander up; wasn't sure... what are you using these days?

Actually forgot what they call this wood...lace? leopard? snake? one of those....

I've got a few more done as well...have another 18 to go, lol....

Knives are Carters...

View attachment 15951

I actually rather enjoy making these...turn around has been about an hour. 1/2 hour to cut, file, glue and clamp. Next morning, 1/2 hour to shape, hand sand, oil and wax.

A Jet 6x48, 12" disc combo. I picked it up at a machine shop liquidation

Mike, I've been thinking about picking that very same sander up; wasn't sure... what are you using these days?

Delbert Ealy 01 245mm gyuto

Oak and amboyna burl with mosaic pin

ealy.jpg

Very happy with the grind on this badboy, but the handle fit and finish is honestly atrocious. The scales are extremely asymmetrical, and the chamfering is very uneven....will probably try to even it out a little myself.:(

Back