Toyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nehh... some Camille oil and wax i put on them can be confused with lacquer :)

Dispossessed - Lacquer? Neither of my Toyama were lacquered
My 210 was definitely lacquered.
Toyamas is not lacquered :)
I have just shamed myself for all time.

Haha, enjoyed this. I also live in fear of ***** up, which happens frequently given the hour and state I usually post in, those tiny touchscreens, and because I often mess things up.

However, let us still remember this. Future generations will pour over our words: to them we have a solemn responsibility. :eyebrow:

I usually say my stupidest things on here whilst drunk but this one can be chalked up to straight stupidity.
Haha, enjoyed this. I also live in fear of ***** up, which happens frequently given the hour and state I usually post in, those tiny touchscreens, and because I often mess things up.

However, let us still remember this. Future generations will pour over our words: to them we have a solemn responsibility. :eyebrow:

drunk and post is the best way of post :D

Well yeah, now I have a pretty good idea where that lefty mukimono went...

That said, I definitely want to get a hold of one of these someday, they (Toyama) are on my bucket list of knives I someday hope to own/try out along with Kato, Shigehiro and Syousin Sakura. The list has become so much shorter over time and finally dwindling to these few haha!

Shigehiro are lacquered.

Dispossessed- did you somehiw confuse Toyama with them above?

Shigehiro are lacquered.

Dispossessed- did you somehiw confuse Toyama with them above?

No this was definitely a Toyama 210 gyuto ordered from JNS.
I might as well chime in with some impressions of the knife if I'm gonna take up space in this thread.

Nice hefty profile but still felt agile, serious heel height would be a plus for most. The knife felt solid, had a little flex but not much, clean and even lamination lines, a great profile, beautiful kanji. I like the finish marks ran lengthwise, a la Shigefusa to ease the work of future refinishing by hand. The little bit of work I did with the knife was more than satisfactory, really really good ootb edge. Cut very well and was able to handle small and precise tasks with as much ease as more heavy work. I even thought the handle was decent, but I'm in the minority here that I love a good old ho wood d handle.
You can keep your bog oak........
The only two cons, which are really really minimal for me were the rough choil, more ocd here than actual discomfort while using. The other was I'm not crazy about the bead/media blasted 'Kasumi' finish but it will surely appeal to some and looks good in its own regard. Could easily be finished out by hand in a matter of 15 minutes if one so desired.
Overall, impressed and the price seems very very fair. Dollar for dollar the best carbon San Mai I've bought at or even near that price point per mm.
Thanks again Maksim!
Cheers
Matteo

The other was I'm not crazy about the bead/media blasted 'Kasumi' finish but it will surely appeal to some and looks good in its own regard. Could easily be finished out by hand in a matter of 15 minutes if one so desired.

What do you mean by "finished out"? I'm not that in love with the kasumi either but didn't think it was really changeable. ?

The finish from the blasting should be extremely shallow. So you could sand it out with paper or finger stones quite easily without significantly altering the geometry.
What do you mean by "finished out"? I'm not that in love with the kasumi either but didn't think it was really changeable. ?

There was a left handed mukimono by Toyama that I regret not buying. Whoever you are out there.....
Gotta agree with you on that one (the Mukimono) being a fellow lefty, shouldn't have waited and thought about it :(
Yep, no guess where that may have gone.:tease:
Well yeah, now I have a pretty good idea where that lefty mukimono went...

Actually… the 135 I got is the RH version and I got it on purpose. For smaller tasks off of the board I often hold the cutting edge up and towards me, which works out well for RH SB. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a LH version in a larger size or a different knife altogether from Toyama.

Let me add my 2 cents.
I tried many Toyamas- i found the proper one ( for me).
And the winner is.... Toyama Suji 270!!!
Not the Gyutos, not his petties. Btw- i have even 2 Yanagibas- 300 and 330, one Sakimaru, one " normal ".
But the Suji..270... It's really cool. It's amazing. It gives the proper laser feeling. I love it. Really.

I was tempted to buy the k-gyuto during the sale but I already have the regular gyuto. Instead I purchased the 180 damascus petty. Used it for the first time today. Just excellent. :) Not octagonal handle however, it was d-shaped ho wood, but I don't mind. The handle was pretty small in circumference, which I like for a petty I want to use on the board.

Very nice. I was tempted to pick up the 210 damascus gyuto, but I just couldn't justify it. Maybe next time.

I was thinking, as we saw a Toyama honyaki yanagiba a few weeks ago, could we possibly be seeing some honyaki gyutos in the future from him? I for one would be very interested in getting my hands on one.

I was thinking, as we saw a Toyama honyaki yanagiba a few weeks ago, could we possibly be seeing some honyaki gyutos in the future from him? I for one would be very interested in getting my hands on one.

I think it's very possible. I have a honyaki (kensaki) yanagi from Watanabe and notwithstanding the differences with the tip, they look remarkably similar, as do the sujis and gyutos. I recall reading that there was a working relationship with Toyama and the Watanabe forefathers which may explain some similarities (same shape/profile, hamon on honyaki, Damascus pattern, etc.)

I guess what I'm thinking is that it seems very likely that a knife made by Watanabe can also be made by Toyama and vice-versa

tj .. I saw your 300 suji review on jns, pretty sure it's you. I'm thinking of picking one up... question is ... is it as right hand biased as the choil shot indicates on the item listing?

tj .. I saw your 300 suji review on jns, pretty sure it's you. I'm thinking of picking one up... question is ... is it as right hand biased as the choil shot indicates on the item listing?

I have one as well, and I have used it nearly every day since I got it a little over a year ago. I have not noticed any bias. Then again, these knives are very much hand made and can vary.

I'm actually a lefty and haven't had a problem using it. The choil shot picture also looks a bit deceiving because the right side is eased a bit more for a right hand pinch grip, but I polished out the grind marks on the choil and eased the left side.

Never thought I'd say this but I'm going to be putting my Toyama suji on BST, as after a 1+ year wait I am now getting a handle for my Watanabe honyaki suji so will have a similar knife to fill the roll of the Toyama.

I am really considering buying Toyoma guyto. Although I am hesitating for two things:
1. I am left handed and I have seen some choil shoot with some right-handed bias
2. Toyoma or Watanabe ?

I have used Watanabe 240 and found the grind to be rather symmetric. Since the blade is thinnly ground with not too pronounced convex grind, there is not that much space left for asymmetry.

I have used Watanabe 240 and found the grind to be rather symmetric. Since the blade is thinnly ground with not too pronounced convex grind, there is not that much space left for asymmetry.
Mathieu tried exactly this same knife, already. He might be worried whether the grind is more or less equal on other examples.
Anyways, no relief. He's hooked.

Mathieu tried exactly this same knife, already. He might be worried whether the grind is more or less equal on other examples.
Anyways, no relief. He's hooked.

Yeah. I am indeed completely hooked. It took me 30 sec. I grabbed the knife, cut two slices of a carrot and that was it. WOW effect.
I will definitively buy one or the other with my xmas bonus. The question if which one...

my 2 cents: bought a toyama 240 gyuto from JNS and a Watanabe direct. Sinichi told me he would select me one suited for a lefty, didn't tell Maksim I was a lefty. Both makers claim to be 50/50. The toyama was more lefty-friendly of the two, both were ground with slight bias for righty. Those were just 2 examples though.

Back