Toyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really considering buying Toyoma guyto. Although I am hesitating for two things:
1. I am left handed and I have seen some choil shoot with some right-handed bias
2. Toyoma or Watanabe ?

You will be happy with the quality of either, but shipping and customs will be much more friendly with Toyama from JNS. Neither my 240 or the 210 Toyama gyutos I've tried have had any bias. The handle is a soft d-shape, but I don't think that should be an issue.

I couldn't tell the difference between my Toyama gyuto and my Watanabe. Profile almost the same to cut the same, grind the same, pretty much exactly the same knives.

@ElPescador: very interesting to read. When trying the watanabe I was impressed by the grind: it is a heavy knife, quite a lot of steel, still it goes through hard ingredient like a charm and does not crack carrots. The Toyoma does the same?

Same Question to you @wbusby1 since you seem to own both !

Just posting a couple crappy pics of my Toyama 270 for Labor of Love, as I can't seem to attach images to PM's through the mobile. I guess the rest of you all can take a look too if you'd like;) ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1481140468.248765.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1481140506.234236.jpg

@ElPescador: very interesting to read. When trying the watanabe I was impressed by the grind: it is a heavy knife, quite a lot of steel, still it goes through hard ingredient like a charm and does not crack carrots. The Toyoma does the same?

I realize this is from a few weeks ago but was unanswered.

I haven't had the pleasure of using a Watanabe but I certainly can speak of the Toyama: when cutting carrot coins at high speed for a commercial kitchen, I laugh and giggle like the Joker. The grind combined with the heft makes carrots feel like a cucumber. Beautiful shiny carrot coins go flying everywhere.

My Toyama is the best cutter I have. Highly recommend.

I realize this is from a few weeks ago but was unanswered.

I haven't had the pleasure of using a Watanabe but I certainly can speak of the Toyama: when cutting carrot coins at high speed for a commercial kitchen, I laugh and giggle like the Joker. The grind combined with the heft makes carrots feel like a cucumber. Beautiful shiny carrot coins go flying everywhere.

This is such an awesome mental picture. I can't wait to get my hands on a Toyama gyuto!

Sorry for not answering sooner, I wanted to go back and look at both knives to answer your question. The Mighty Watanabe is a little bigger; 3mm and 12 grams heavier. Not enough of a difference to differentiate the 2. they cut the same for the most part, but the tip on the Toyama is thinner.

Took some not-very-good-pictures-but-anyways of my Toyama Damascus Petty 180.

It's beside my Tanaka gyuto since they look pretty similar with the damascus pattern. The Toyama is more polished though.

I really like this petty, it feels very "mini-gyuto-ish" in its proportions, 35 mm tall.

Tanaka_G240_Toyama_Noborikoi_P180_1_zpsqnpsnywb.jpg

Tanaka_G240_Toyama_Noborikoi_P180_2_zps073hx3xh.jpg

Tanaka_G240_Toyama_Noborikoi_P180_3_zpsj668du3t.jpg

I've been tempted by that petty myself. Now even more so after seeing your pics. Is it heavy ish like the gyuto?

I've been tempted by that petty myself. Now even more so after seeing your pics. Is it heavy ish like the gyuto?
The weight is 113 grams. The blade gives a solid, stiff impression, but scaled down to this size it feels more "normal" than the gyuto (I have the 240 Toyama Gyuto). All my other pettys to compare with are smaller and lighter than this. I would say the Toyama is more blade heavy than my other pettys, with the balance point approx 15 mm in front of the heel. Maybe this is because of the rather small handle. The handle I got was d-shaped, not octagonal, and rather small in circumference (21 mm tall and 16 mm wide at the ferrule), giving it a bit of a suji feel. But I like it. Don't want to have big handles on pettys, because I like to use them on the board and it gives more clearance.

Took some not-very-good-pictures-but-anyways of my Toyama Damascus Petty 180.

It's beside my Tanaka gyuto since they look pretty similar with the damascus pattern. The Toyama is more polished though.

I really like this petty, it feels very "mini-gyuto-ish" in its proportions, 35 mm tall.

Tanaka_G240_Toyama_Noborikoi_P180_3_zpsj668du3t.jpg

CORRECTION: My Toyama Damascus Petty 180 is 38 mm tall at the heel. (Spec is 35 mm at JNS)

I am definitely going to be a Toyama collector for the rest of my life. I hope he gains the prestige he deserves. The 210mm Nakiri I own is phenomenal.

Just put in an order for a 240 Toyama kasumi, along with a 240 Munetoshi gyuto and the munetoshi butcher. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about! Looking for something heavier and couldn't resist

+1. Picked that up recently from JNS as my first Toyama. It won't be my last...

And +1

I don't normally keep 2 from the same maker to try more variations, but Toyama is an exception!

Got my Toyama today...noticed there had been some obvious work done on the tip. It's all scuffed up and not polished like the rest of the blade. I'd post pics but I don't think I can yet. Anyone else get this?

Got my Toyama today...noticed there had been some obvious work done on the tip. It's all scuffed up and not polished like the rest of the blade. I'd post pics but I don't think I can yet. Anyone else get this?

It's common. Mine is the same. If you are referring to the gyuto, that is.

It's common. Mine is the same. If you are referring to the gyuto, that is.

Ok that is good to hear. I got a Munetoshi gyuto and butcher in the same order that also have some concerns, so I was beginning to wonder what was going on. Emailed Maxim but just thought I'd see what KKF thought

Ok that is good to hear. I got a Munetoshi gyuto and butcher in the same order that also have some concerns, so I was beginning to wonder what was going on. Emailed Maxim but just thought I'd see what KKF thought

Attack some onions with it and you won't be concerned about the tip ever again. That knife is a prep beast and probably my favorite gyuto in the rotation. Once you get some patina going you won't notice it and you can even it out when you need to thin it. I, for the time being, am afraid to touch it for fear of lessening performance. I don't have a Munetoshi so I can't help you there.

Attack some onions with it and you won't be concerned about the tip ever again. That knife is a prep beast and probably my favorite gyuto in the rotation. Once you get some patina going you won't notice it and you can even it out when you need to thin it. I, for the time being, am afraid to touch it for fear of lessening performance. I don't have a Munetoshi so I can't help you there.

Yeah, I don't think I'll worry about it after I use it some. The tip shape doesn't look quite right but I might be swayed by all the scuff marks on it.

I thought mine might have had a tip repair until I saw another exactly the same way. I think that's just how they are.

I thought mine might have had a tip repair until I saw another exactly the same way. I think that's just how they are.

Sounds good. Loving the Toyama so far! No concerns with the tip after I've used it some and this knife is quickly becoming my favorite :thumbsup:

Sounds good. Loving the Toyama so far! No concerns with the tip after I've used it some and this knife is quickly becoming my favorite :thumbsup:

Both of my gyutos were the same in regards to the tip. And they are also the only gyutos I've never felt the need to grind the tips down. They're perfect as is, especially considering the heft and height of the blades overall. He's doing something very right with his gyutos for sure. And yes, I'm a well avowed fanboy at this point.

I've been looking at buying a Toyama 240 gyuto. Has anyone noticed if the grind is slanted towards right-handers?

Did a few videos with my Toyamas, if anyone is interested. Not many videos out there showing them off.

[video=youtube;fYoUNOnCZpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYoUNOnCZpQ[/video]

[video=youtube;Kv5VXpQ96YE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv5VXpQ96YE[/video]

Did a few videos with my Toyamas, if anyone is interested. Not many videos out there showing them off.

[video=youtube;fYoUNOnCZpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYoUNOnCZpQ[/video]

[video=youtube;Kv5VXpQ96YE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv5VXpQ96YE[/video]

I have actually watched these vids multiple times. Grateful for these as they aided my decision to get a big T!

Back