Tsourkan Knives - Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks folks,

I still need to tweak a few things, but I can't say I am not pleased with how it came out.

M

Excellent D-handle, Marko. I like the taper on the ferrule, I do that occasionally for octagonals, but never thought about doing it on Ds. Just curious, do you shape them by hand or use a jig? Drilling before or after shaping? In any case, it looks very comfortable.

Stefan

Hey Stefan,

Shaped by hand on a disk and belt sanders followed by hand sanding. Variable speed is a secret ingredient here.

It is very comfortable.

M

Excellent work like always, Marko. That D handle is something special.

I figured you must have practiced first....

Lovely Marko, Subtle and very beautiful.

That meiji handle will always be my favorite....Great Job.

I like how you tapered the ferrule on some of those D shaped handles. Makes for a comfortable feel. Nice Job!

Thanks guys.

That feature I credit to Fish and Bob Kramer. Fish did it on octagonal handles (remember Lee's Carter? Fish did the tapers on both sides) and Bob has been doing it on his Meiji (D) handle.

I improved a couple of things over the first, but identified two more areas that need improvement, so hopefully, one more before I will officially offer it as a choice with my knives. A handle can be mounted for a right-hand or a left-hand use.

Mortise and tenon construction. You can actually see the tenon through the horn.

Gidgee wood, light/marble horn, nickel silver spacer. Handle weighs 80g.

Knife in the picture - 240mm gyuto in 52100. 3mm over the heel, 2.1mm half way, 1.65mm 2" from the tip. Height at the heel is about 50mm. Weighs 140g without a handle, 220g with.

I incorporated a suggestion from one of the pro guys who tested two of my knives (for a private feedback) and added a little more weight to the knife. It's a little more robust knife now (it weighs 25g more than a thinner version, weight came from a little less distal taper toward the tip), yet still very thin above the edge (~.005").

Light horn is a little more delicate than a black horn (it discolors from the heat from grinding), so this is something I have to keep in mind going forward - slower grinding speed and fresher belts.

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

M

PS: The patina on the knife comes from testing it at home for cutting performance.

Very nice Marko. Getting it really dialed in now! Gidgee looks really nice, as does the horn.

Wow, that's a nice, clean looking combination. The light horn brightens up the look of the whole knife.

Wow, that's a nice, clean looking combination. The light horn brightens up the look of the whole knife.

I like the light horn a lot and look to use it extensively. It has fewer blemishes than black horn, but is a bit more delicate to work with. Definitely worth the effort.

M

Marko your knives hit the high quality and perfect finish.
I would like to see them in action, how about a video:2cents:

I freaking love the profile of your gyuto. I like the pro's feedback, giving the knife a little more weight.

I would love to have the PM knife like that, with the same ironwood/blonde horn handle, when you get a chance!!!

I freaking love the profile of your gyuto. I like the pro's feedback, giving the knife a little more weight.

I would love to have the PM knife like that, with the same ironwood/blonde horn handle, when you get a chance!!!

I will send you this one to check out first, as a token of appreciation for all your patience. I am sure you know what I am talking about.

M

Enabler!!! It will come with that handle, right???
Thanks.

Back