Wallets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I blew out a couple discs, I started actively focusing on wallet content reduction. I'm an old dude but in the modern age I find I need to carry damn little every day. I pared down my stuff to be pretty thin and it helped a lot but as time went on I found myself putting my bifold wallet in my front pocket. And as minimal as I'd gotten, the vessel itself still had bulk. Literally, over months as I contemplated changes, I researched a ton of stuff. Turns out, there's a lot of awesome wallets out there these days!

I ended up ordering an Open Seas Leather (formerly Das Offene Meer) Hot Rack minimalist wallet. No, no pics as it'll be a few weeks before Michael makes it.

So I focused on minimalist and surely not everyone does but if you've ventured into wallets beyond the department store racks, I'd love to see and hear about them. This could get addicting for me...

Last edited:
I reduced my wallet content a while back. I had to many cards and too many bills. My wallet was way too thick and heavy. I bought a nylon wallet at Walmart maybe $6. It is very light and water proof. I carry 1 credit card, 1 debit card, driver licensed, and my medical cards. I try to limit my bills so I carry a $100 bill and a few smaller bills.

Definitely interested in this thread. I have a 30 year old traditional leather bifold and looking to downsize.

Check out OS Leather, Craft and Lore, and Saddleback Leather to name a few. Walletopia has a cool "Explore" page that helps suggest wallets based on your inputs. He also has a ton of YT videos.

I'm using an aluminium eclosure that can hold like 12 cards with a push out mechanism for convenience and to make skimming impossible, a bill or two and few coins. My far more fancy wallet has not seen daylight in like 10 years now.

I haven't carried cash for a few years now, so I get by with a cover for my phone that also has room for my credit and social security cards 🤷‍♂️

I think the first thin wallet I started using was a leather bi-fold with a money clip in the spine. Then, a couple of Slimfold Tyvek wallets, but they never looked new for long.

Magpul came out with the DAKA wallets, and I've been using one of those for the last 5 years. There's been some slight delamination of the outer fabric layer around the edge, but it pretty much looks the same as it always has.

I keep a license, main credit card and a little cash on a cheap stick on wallet to my iphone. I have everything else in a wallet in the car. I have photos of everything I don’t really need to carry in my favorites. Things like AAA card, health insurance card, any loyalty cards. I also use Apple Pay whenever I can.

I like Apple pay and it is good at Starbucks. Kind of limited other places I go.

Been rockin' velcro wallets since around 1992. Minimal thickness/ minimal weight. First one was from Italy, complete with a Juventus logo and black/ white stripes :cool: No department store rack for this guy -- I bought it directly from a street vendor. My son claimed it a couple years ago. It will be good for another 30 years.

I use a velcro wallet as well with not too much heft. On the other hand, leather wallets are much too thick and heavy as I have experienced.

This should only really be interesting for the guys in Europe or if you know someone here as they don’t ship overseas but I switched to a Paprcuts wallet about two years ago and am still excited.
They are made of Tyvek and are virtually indestructible. Super thin even if you like to carry around lots of stuff like I do. I just happen to be unable to throw out things of my wallet on a regular basis 😁

https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell?variant=37388635649
1631393880055.png

i've had this wallet for 5 years and am extremely satisfied.
there is some cosmetic wear, but i see no signs of actual damage so far. i wonder how long it will last. probably a pretty long time.

i understand the appeal of leather. it's a lovely material. however, if you're willing to move away from leather in the name of weight and volume savings, i think this material (some kind of high tech fabric) is as good as it gets.

also, i've never used back pockets for anything in my entire life.

I reduced my wallet content a while back. I had to many cards and too many bills. My wallet was way too thick and heavy. I bought a nylon wallet at Walmart maybe $6. It is very light and water proof. I carry 1 credit card, 1 debit card, driver licensed, and my medical cards. I try to limit my bills so I carry a $100 bill and a few smaller bills.

i hate a lot of things about credit cards. you and visa working together (you get a couple % of the merchant fees as points or cash back) to rip off vendors and cash customers. and the invasion of privacy. lol

but man, cash really messes with my wallet. like you, i also try to keep just a few bills in my wallet, and then whenever i encounter a cash-only business, my wallet explodes in volume due to the change that gets generated.

I think the first thin wallet I started using was a leather bi-fold with a money clip in the spine. Then, a couple of Slimfold Tyvek wallets, but they never looked new for long.

Magpul came out with the DAKA wallets, and I've been using one of those for the last 5 years. There's been some slight delamination of the outer fabric layer around the edge, but it pretty much looks the same as it always has.

yeah, slimfold's tyvek wallets are disposable trash. have you tried their fabric ones?

magpul daka looks interesting.

Hope this thread has some legs looked up couple wallets mentioned here.

I found that many of my plastic cards are not
credit. Kaiser card, library card, Safeway card, Macy card (only use couple times a year.),Costco card, medicare card, covid-19
shots paper card.

Cards don't use often keep in little folder at home also holds business cards & some other
stuff. Put reminder on phone to get when I need them. Carry coins in my car for parking meters & take out food like exact change trying
to use up extra mass of spare change accumulated over the years.

Wallet using now is very well made. Mariah
Kangaroo leather from down under. Had it almost 10 years to say well broken in understatement.
IMG_20210911_113206721.jpg

Thin leather bifold, holds DL, CCP, 2 credit cards, med ins card, that is it. Never in back pocket. Cash is in a money clip in front pocket, billfold goes from house to car console, in front pocket when going to a store. Never did like to sit on a lump, just did not make sense.

https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell?variant=37388635649
View attachment 141883

i've had this wallet for 5 years and am extremely satisfied.
there is some cosmetic wear, but i see no signs of actual damage so far. i wonder how long it will last. probably a pretty long time.

i understand the appeal of leather. it's a lovely material. however, if you're willing to move away from leather in the name of weight and volume savings, i think this material (some kind of high tech fabric) is as good as it gets.

also, i've never used back pockets for anything in my entire life.

Just ordered one! I figured my first new wallet in 30 years is like a first j-knife. Just buy something and see how you like it instead of analyzing everything on the market.

Just ordered one! I figured my first new wallet in 30 years is like a first j-knife. Just buy something and see how you like it instead of analyzing everything on the market.

Be sure to report back with your thoughts on it! That was one of the ones on my short list as well. :)

Don't have a wallet. Haven't had one for years. My phone case can hold 2 cards, which are my driver's license (doubles as ID) and bankcard. Haven't got the need to carry anything else. Money just goes straight in my pocket.

expanding my review of the slimfold micro softshell...

5 years of wear.

currently, i carry 8 cards and 2 bills. while doing this review, i cleaned out my wallet and managed to eliminate 3 cards (was at 11). hooray!

my wallet is about 12mm thick including cards. that stack of 8 cards is about 7mm thick on its own.

with stuff in it, it weighs about 64g (18g empty; contents weigh 46g). the wallet itself is about 28% of the total weight.

i actually do see a little damage to some of the orange stitching. but it's all in non-critical areas where the stitching isn't actually holding anything together.

supposedly this thing is washable, but i've never tried. i might scrub with a stain remover stick all over it and throw it in my next load of laundry. i wonder if that would freshen it up at all.

pics:

PXL_20210916_003802441.jpg
PXL_20210916_004111813.jpg
PXL_20210916_003904983.jpg
PXL_20210916_003842783.jpg
PXL_20210916_003831439.jpg
PXL_20210916_002936180.jpg
PXL_20210916_003914980.jpg
PXL_20210916_004033878.jpg

I've been using a Ridge "wallet" for a little while, and I'm happy with it as a daily carry. 3 bank cards, my health card, my transportation/bikeshare card and a clip for cash. I have the little drawer thing they make that slides in as well to hold a flat key or a coin or a gram of... kidding.

It's (obviously) too small to carry my official French ID (which is giant) or drivers licence (I still have one of the old paper tri-fold ones), but I don't need those on a daily basis so no worries.

I had bought one of the Ridge Polycarbonate Wallets in 2017, which proceeded to crack. They gave me full value back and I got one of the aluminum ones. Last year they had to warranty the fact that several of the screws had become loose and fallen out. That process was painless. I did just check and a few needed to be tightened up again.

Love the wallet. My only wish is that it was a bit lighter.
20210916_082053.jpg

Last edited:
I had bought on the Ridge Polycarbonate Wallets in 2017, which proceeded to crack. They gave me full value back and I got one of the aluminum ones. Last year they had to warranty the fact that several of the screws had become loose and fallen out. That process was painless. I did just check and a few needed to be tightened up again.

Love the wallet. My only wish is that it was a bit lighter.
View attachment 142601

If you have a lady about the house, a tiny dab of nail polish on the ends of the screw threads should snug them up nicely. Stuff has held more than one gun together for me over the years. ;)

If you have a lady about the house, a tiny dab of nail polish on the ends of the screw threads should snug them up nicely. Stuff has held more than one gun together for me over the years. ;)

I've got some blue lock-tite hanging around - just been too lazy to do it. I still have extra screws (as they sent a full complement) so I have a cushion.

I have been using minimalist wallet from a local shop here in VA for the last few years and I really love it. The leather has aged so very nicely and is not fussy at all.

Shop Made In USA Minimalist Leather Wallets

Prior to that, my first foray into minimalist wallets came from an Etsy supplier. Saddly, it (and the contents) became a donation to the James River while driving over the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel several years back thanks to a since defeated habit of using my car roof as a temporary drop spot while buckling the kiddos into their car seats. I REALLY loved this one - very simplistic design and absolutely beautiful leather. I just felt like trying a different style (and a local leather shop) when I replaced it with the Werther wallet later on.

Handmade Leather Goods - Leather Wallets For Men | Mr. Lentz Shop

Back