Wallets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I never drive through the HRBT again in my life, it will still be one time too many.

I was looking at those Ridge wallets yesterday. How heavy is it compared to a traditional bifold?

Well, the Aluminum one is 2 oz, so it is heavy compared to some. I have looked lately, but the aluminum was the lightest (behind the polycarbonate) when I bought mine. I think the discountinued the polycarbonate though as there was cracking issues.

I had bought one of the Ridge Polycarbonate Wallets in 2017, which proceeded to crack. They gave me full value back and I got one of the aluminum ones. Last year they had to warranty the fact that several of the screws had become loose and fallen out. That process was painless. I did just check and a few needed to be tightened up again.

Love the wallet. My only wish is that it was a bit lighter.
View attachment 142601

Yeah, I have the carbon fiber one - because you know that half an ounce is a huuuuuge deal. :)

If I could change it, it would be to add a couple of strips of anti-slip something or other to it just to ensure that it never falls out off a loose pocket. It has never happened to me, but I've thought about it more than once.

If I never drive through the HRBT again in my life, it will still be one time too many.

I was looking at those Ridge wallets yesterday. How heavy is it compared to a traditional bifold?

The carbon fiber one is 1.6 oz, so about 45 grams. It's a fair bit lighter than a traditional leather wallet, but it's a lot more compact so it feels denser.

I just chucked mine onto a scale. With 6 cards and a small stack of cash, the whole shebang weighs 78 grams. I grabbed an old leather billfold and compared: the same cards and the same cash and the leather billfold weighs 124 grams. YMMV of course.

I just weighed my "loaded" leather bifold and I've streamlined enough it comes in at 76g. I opted for a card-style wallet for the foot print reduction and more comfortable front pocket carry. Especially since I carry other stuff in that same pocket.

I just weighed my "loaded" leather bifold and I've streamlined enough it comes in at 76g. I opted for a card-style wallet for the foot print reduction and more comfortable front pocket carry. Especially since I carry other stuff in that same pocket.

Just weighed my kangaroo wallet 99 grams.

My new Open Sea Leather Hot Rack just landed and it's just what I was after. This is a minimalist wallet to be sure. Yes, you can fit more stuff in it but it will stretch and then if you don't have all that stuff in there, your other stuff will fall out. So plan accordingly. This is true of pretty much all leather designs of this type.

As I said, I'd already streamlined quite a bit and have been front-pocket carrying for some time and I was really after a reduced footprint. Mission accomplished.

y6mXDWN.jpg

g8QQZGV.jpg

Michael, the owner, was very responsive to a couple email quarries. The ordering process states up front to allow 3-4 weeks for fulfillment and mine took the full four but shipping, even from Hawaii, was fast.

Quality is excellent.

Michael has some other models I'm very interested in and he will be getting my business in the future.

Back in the day when I had to look presentable on a daily basis, I would always carry a nicely-crafted leather wallet. Owned several of them. These days I value minimalism over flash and carry a wallet by Flowfold. They are an outfit in Maine that make a host of bags and wallets in many configurations out of repurposed sailcloth and some interesting high tech fabrics. The wallets are ultra slim and very functional. I first bought a Vanguard model in black and one in olive. Then I bought a red one, which almost eliminated wallet misplacement. It's the only one I use these days.

Attachments

• Flowfold_Vanguard_Limited_Front_Pocket_Wallet.jpg
    Flowfold_Vanguard_Limited_Front_Pocket_Wallet.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 10
  • FlowFold Inside.jpg
    FlowFold Inside.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 12
I still roll top grain leather with way too many cards in my right rear pocket because I'm old school. And stubbornly resistant to any and all change.

I hear ya dude. I never had a really thick wallet but I surely carried around a lot of stuff. But back in my younger days it was necessary. After I trashed my back and started getting forced to make adjustments (which I did slowly) I realized just how nice it is not to have that freaking thing with me!

Today I hardly even noticed I was carrying it. To the point of a couple blitz panic moments of thinking I didn't have it. Once you aren't lugging that around you realize how nice it feels.

:)

Last edited:
I guess I should report back too. I’ve switched out of my 30 year old Tumi leather bifold to this slimfold recommended upthread.
https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell?variant=37388635649
I really appreciate how much smaller it is. I don’t know if it’s related but I actually left the house a couple times without it since getting it - that feeling you get when you reach the cashier and realize you don’t have your wallet…. Thank God for Apple Pay! With my old wallet I always knew it was there, but not so much with this one. If I ever got pickpocketed I probably wouldn’t notice for hours.

The downside is that it feels incredibly flimsy. It’s convenient for getting one main credit card in and out, but getting anything else out of it is a bit of a hassle. I suspect that just comes with the territory though - I wanted thin and light and I got thin and light!

I guess I should report back too. I’ve switched out of my 30 year old Tumi leather bifold to this slimfold recommended upthread.
https://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell?variant=37388635649
I really appreciate how much smaller it is. I don’t know if it’s related but I actually left the house a couple times without it since getting it - that feeling you get when you reach the cashier and realize you don’t have your wallet…. Thank God for Apple Pay! With my old wallet I always knew it was there, but not so much with this one. If I ever got pickpocketed I probably wouldn’t notice for hours.

The downside is that it feels incredibly flimsy. It’s convenient for getting one main credit card in and out, but getting anything else out of it is a bit of a hassle. I suspect that just comes with the territory though - I wanted thin and light and I got thin and light!

I suppose it's a lot like our knives. We might have try out different styles and learn about what we're really after. :)

Carrying wallets can't be easy with the style now I see on TV of tight peg leg pants that are
too short so you better have nice socks too cuz they are in full view. To me they look stupid esp. on ex football player announcers with thick muscular legs.

Of coarse if a suit you can carry in your jacket.

I switched to a Popov after reading thru here. Like it but can't do the front pocket.

It's very well made, considerably smaller than the old tri-fold but not sure it's a game changer.

I switched to a Popov after reading thru here. Like it but can't do the front pocket.

It's very well made, considerably smaller than the old tri-fold but not sure it's a game changer.

For me, the first time I felt the needle moved was when I aggressively reduced what I carried. That was a hugely noticeable change. Then messing with different wallets didn't really matter too much. But the move to front pocket was another significant needle changer and one I'm admittedly still getting used to. As I said originally, I have issues that make it a smart move for me, but even without that, I think this is a change I'd grow to really like.

I carry very little with me these days. That picture up there is about it for standard carry, other than my phone.

So yeah, I can absolutely see sticking with rear pocket carry, you're realizing just so much of a difference. Front pocket is not for everyone, and you need to make other adjustments, but if you can get used to it and pull it off, I find it quite rewarding.

Yes carrying only what you need. Try to keep cards to what use frequently. Ones hardly use like Kaiser medical, Macy's etc. Keep at home add when need only couple times a year.

Find one good thing about buying things on line don't need to carry cards. Use my Amazon card for everything gas, grocery's, eating out.
Get points for s#$+ on Amazon.

My 10yr. old 🦘 kangaroo wallet is fraying at the edges, the thread is not heavy duty like customs on here. It's still holding but barely.
It's been a great wallet. Tried to order other like it. Couldn't something about covid problems down under.

I ordered a leather bifold from a site on this thread. I just really like leather. Mr. Lentz Shop
in Colorado.

Yes carrying only what you need. Try to keep cards to what use frequently. Ones hardly use like Kaiser medical, Macy's etc. Keep at home add when need only couple times a year.

Find one good thing about buying things on line don't need to carry cards. Use my Amazon card for everything gas, grocery's, eating out.
Get points for s#$+ on Amazon.

My 10yr. old 🦘 kangaroo wallet is fraying at the edges, the thread is not heavy duty like customs on here. It's still holding but barely.
It's been a great wallet. Tried to order other like it. Couldn't something about covid problems down under.

I ordered a leather bifold from a site on this thread. I just really like leather. Mr. Lentz Shop
in Colorado.

I actually created a folder in the gallery on my phone and just took pictures of all my insurance and similar type cards. I realized that all I ever really need is the number and for store "benefits" cards I just need my phone number. So that was allowed even further reduction.

I will get another wallet and will retain my bi-fold wallet that this new replaces. When I have to travel for work I have to carry additional cards, I like more cash, and need to retain receipts so a more flexible carry option will be needed.

When you get your new wallet, report back and let us know what you think! :)

Did you get the bifold or the card Popov was looking at the Popov bifold.

Took a picture of my covid shots card just hold my phone up to person. So no need carry shots card. To go eat out here still strict must show
proof of vaccine.

Thanks I'm going to take picture of my Kaiser card for next time I go see if that works if so another card can retire to folder. My library card use almost weekly see if picture of that will work too.

Man I wish we could keep a small wallet in germany. Problem is a lot of places I.e bakery, butcher and smaller shops do not take card or Google/Samsung/Apple pay so one is always lugging around bills and change. Most my cards I have locked into my Google pay to be scanned by the clerk. Maybe one day we will be more digital.

After seeing some of the options suggested I bought the Micro Soft Original about a month ago. So, much thinner and lighter than my old leather tri-fold, and it holds everything I need. Thanks for the thread!

Prefer black croc. Lasts a lifetime. However, overloading with cc will stress the stitching. I had to use contact cement and stitch one back together. I wear cargo pants so the right front pocket is good for carrying. Otherwise, a jacket inside vest pocket works. These wallets are cheap in SE Asia. Not so much stateside. Like croc inside and out.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2884_96ppi.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2885_96ppi.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 7
Had a croc. It held up well, but had raised areas on one side that looked cool but in pocket make sure it's not against you. 🐊

Like cargo shorts too. Can carry, wallet, phone, keys no problem.

Had a croc. It held up well, but had raised areas on one side that looked cool but in pocket make sure it's not against you. 🐊

Like cargo shorts too. Can carry, wallet, phone, keys no problem.
Croc is flat, alligator has raised scales. The only problem I've had with cargo pockets is that I've missed dropping my wallet into the slot. Duh!

Man I wish we could keep a small wallet in germany. Problem is a lot of places I.e bakery, butcher and smaller shops do not take card or Google/Samsung/Apple pay so one is always lugging around bills and change. Most my cards I have locked into my Google pay to be scanned by the clerk. Maybe one day we will be more digital.

Same thing in Hawaii. A lot of smaller operations prefer cash. Example when my friend & I picked up grafted Avocado tree starters, he paid with card + 4.7 state tax.
I paid cash no tax.

That's why I'm old school must have a dedicated spot for cash with a bifold. Not folding up cash stuffing it in a card slot. But thinned out cards don't carry wallet full of cash either.

Back