WCG - July 2012

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have that much to add in knives or stones, mostly basic or common, but will most likely be able to attend to see the sights.
No worries. I think you should bring your stuff anyway. Maybe we can squeeze a little sharpening advice out of J-Bro. :)

i'd be happy to spend some time talking about sharpening... i'll try to bring a decent sharpening setup.

I don't have that much to add in knives or stones, mostly basic or common, but will most likely be able to attend to see the sights.

Don't worry. I don't have a lot of knives either.

I'm hoping this gathering is really going to be about meeting up, eating some good food, having a few beverages and talking about knives, cooking, whatever.

Honestly, I'm hosting this because I want to give something back to the knife community. I've learned a ton from the people here and everyone I've met in person has been great. I think that's one of the most important and best things about our hobby/endeavor/knutness - the people.

When I was pretty seriously into wine, I would go to wine events and you could just hear a number of people talking about their first growth bordeauxs, burgundies, blah blah blah. Rather than sharing information, it was the douchiest pissing contest ever. And most of the people didn't really know crap - they knew their wines, but didn't really have a good, broad knowledge of wines. I haven't met a single person here who's first words out of their mouth is "I have [INSERT NUMBER] of Bill Burke, Devin Thomas, Kramer, etc. knives."

So don't feel that you have to have good knives or crazy stones to join us. Join us to hang out. That's what I'm hoping for. :)

I hadn't thought of it that way, Michael but you're absolutely right. Still, I think it would be nice to check out some knives and see what people have done with theirs. I'm certainly planning on bringing a few. If anyone has any requests, I'd be happy to bring whatever and a bag of sacrificial produce.

Will be working a booth at the Wanderlust festival in Lake Tahoe that weekend! Hell of a drive from here but wouldn't mind meeting some of you folks...

I hadn't thought of it that way, Michael but you're absolutely right. Still, I think it would be nice to check out some knives and see what people have done with theirs. I'm certainly planning on bringing a few. If anyone has any requests, I'd be happy to bring whatever and a bag of sacrificial produce.

Everyone is absolutely welcome to bring knives and what not. I just don't want people not to come because they feel that they don't have knives or other things to share.

Will be working a booth at the Wanderlust festival in Lake Tahoe that weekend! Hell of a drive from here but wouldn't mind meeting some of you folks...

That is pretty darn far, but you're definitely welcome!

yeah... i'm hoping its more of just a social gathering where there may or may not happen to be knives, stones, and sharpening. Sometimes its just nice to be able to put a face to the name and get to know the people we talk to on here all the time in a little better depth.

Hey, all - just saw this. I'll check the schedule at work to see if I can come by. Thanks.

~Tad

I've just gotten back to the thread and will see what I can pull. Not sure at this moment what my time will be like.

It would be great to see you there, DC. :)

Nice. We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Less than two weeks before the WCG!!! If anyone else is interested in coming, please post here or PM me.

For everyone who offered to bring stuff to the WCG, could you PM me with your e-mail addresses? That way I can e-mail everyone together and we can, hopefully, easily coordinate the items that we may need.

Thanks again everyone!

I will make sure to make Wasabi flavored onigiri for the event - Jon will show up with a ton of onigiri. Any flavor requests?

Here are your choices.
-umeboshi
-tuna
-salmon
-vegetable/wakame
-okaka
-iwanori

I will make sure to make Wasabi flavored onigiri for the event - Jon will show up with a ton of onigiri. Any flavor requests?

Here are your choices.
-umeboshi
-tuna
-salmon
-vegetable/wakame
-okaka
-iwanori

Any of the above sounds great :p I guess I shouldn't mention the pizza we made at the last WCG I went to... left over sushi fixins that didn't make it into the capino :p

Ah yes...

As long as work signs off on my request :) I'm clear to get down there!

Currious as to what I should be dragging along with me :) I have so much stuff that a one day gathering would not be enough time to mess with everything.

So what we doing :)

We will be doing three things for sure:

1. Eating;
2. Drinking beverages; and
3. Talking about knives.

Feel free to bring whatever you'd like - Jon and Sara, tk59, chuck239, unkajonet, Deckhand, El Pescador, TamanegiKin are confirmed. Or, you can just leave your knives at home, and just relax and enjoy the day. :)

A tentative menu will be posted soon . . .

Sounds good, m.

DC, if you make it, I might ask you to bring your favorite razor finisher. I'll bring a razor or two. :)

Sounds good, m.

DC, if you make it, I might ask you to bring your favorite razor finisher. I'll bring a razor or two. :)

Remind me to bring out the Shapton Pro 30k as well so you razor guys can give it whirl.

Aww mannn... This sounds like lots of fun... I'm stuck way up here in the eastern end of east end east:) Hope you guys have fun, looks like that'll be a foregone conclusion... :D

I'll have an item to pass on to the next needy user :p I was given this item at a WCG and will pass it on to the next caretaker :p Just thought I'd thin some items I don't use anymore :)

Here are some of the items that will most likely be served:

Beverages: wines, juices, water and a possible surprise from Mr. Jon Broida
Foods: two types of foie gras for appetizers (for us Californians to thumb our noses at the law!), barbecued Kurobuta Pork Butt, Jambalaya, Salad

More to come as we get closer to Sunday . . .

Sad news...

With 2 people going on leave that same weekend my request was shot down, they got theirs in long before I did... So I will not be able to come to this years gathering :(

Next year I will most likely be moving back to Santa Barbara :cry: and will be able to easaly get to SoCal events :) see what happens.

Sounds like you guys (and gals) have a nice meeting lined up. Since it is the closest one to me, I wish I could come, but it's still a little far...

Stefan

Sad news...

With 2 people going on leave that same weekend my request was shot down, they got theirs in long before I did... So I will not be able to come to this years gathering :(

Next year I will most likely be moving back to Santa Barbara :cry: and will be able to easaly get to SoCal events :) see what happens.

Bummer! Sorry to hear, DC. Hopefully you'll be able to join us the next time!

Back