what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have to fine-tune a job application that I am serious about tonight, but when I am done, it will be a Knob Creek tonight.

Stefan

Quoting myself, that's a new one... Anyway, finally submitted my first job application, added everything they requested - 95 pages! Who is going to read all that crap?

I decided to spoil myself by picking up a nice half bottle of champagne and some Thai food. Then my car didn't start again. In the rain. And the dark. By the time I got a jump start, I was soaking wet. So, instead of rewarding myself with champagn, I am drinking a double Knob Creek against the cold. Well, as cold as ii gets here...

Stefan

We are drinking the hard stuff tonight.....Abita Rootbeer :wink:

IMG_0199.jpg

New Albanian Thunderfoot Imperial stout, Tunnel Vision Imperial Rye-wheat beer, Yakima Ipa.

I'm sipping a recent acquisition from K&L:

Laphroaig "Triple Wood" Islay Single Malt Whisky 750ml - Multiple Reviews on this limited release that was supposedly for European Travel Retail only! Lucky for us some popped up in California. This is essentially Quarter Cask finished in Oloroso Sherry Butts. "so in addition to the intense charcoal smoke attack there are rich fruity notes; blackcurrant and berries. It’s an evening barbecue whisky. Grill that fish until it’s blackened and crispy, drizzle on lemon, and as the smoke rears up in protest, sip this. Big, moody, broody, fruity, and rich: what’s not to love? " 94 Points Dominic Roskrow Malt Advocate,"Similar to Laphroaig Quarter Cask, but also finished in oloroso sherry casks. Fruit and smoke: fleshy red berries, red licorice, toffee, ripe barley, coal tar, sun-baked seaweed, peat smoke, and a hint of coffee grounds. Tarry finish. I rated the Quarter Cask a 91, and I think this whisky is in the same ballpark. If you like sherry-influenced whiskies, then go for the Triple Wood. If not, then consider the Quarter Cask." 90 points

I miss the prominent salty and iodiney aspects of the 10yo cask strength or even the 15yo Laphroaigs.

This is very reminiscent of the Ardbegs that were finished in sherry casks.

Show off! I love Islay malts... ardbeg and lagavulin particularly

Haven't tried the Triple, but in my mind, that quarter cask is hard to beat. It's a seriously nice malt. As for the Sherry finished Ardbegs, well the sherry didn't stand much of a chance really. It's just hard to mask/mellow an Ardbeg, they're just so distinctive and forceful, you know?

As long as we're talkin' Islay, anyone tried any of the Kilchomans?

Mojito made with Havana Club (Cuban contraband) once again.

I am going to Great Lakes Brew Fest today......I will be drinking unlimited samples of Beer:D:Beersausage:

What a coincidence! Today I am going to Central Market(the grocery store) for Brewtopia...the yearly beer festival, where their giant selection of craft beers is 25% off, and you can mix and match to your heart's content!

Well, today the Octoberfest in Munich started, I should probably pick up some German beer.

Stefan

bartender handed me a shot of tullamore dew as i walked out of the door.

Ran out of beer and whiskey, went digging through the cabinet only to find my worst enemy...Wine.
Drinking something named laborvm and another one named mosby. Dunno sh!t about wine, dunno where they came from but it works :beer:

I used to dink Ketel 1, but now it's the big blue bottle . .

Ok from tonight's choices, which would you choose...

Bersig Pinotage
Red Guitar Tempranillo Garnacha
Diseno Malbec
Zen of Zin Old Vine Zinfandel

It needs to go well with both sharpening and finishing stones.:chin:

The garnacha. I forgot to post last night... Sierra Nevada Tumbler

Back