What are your “buy it for life” clothing brands?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ironheart is great. i tend to avoid self edge when i can cuz their markup compared to other retailers can be kinda crazy.

my BIFL clothing brand would be basically any of the big players in selvedge denim. pure blue japan, oni, tanuki, samurai, all great and last basically forever in my experience. definitely helps to get fitted properly cuz sizing can be all over the place (esp with brands like pure blue japan). blueingreen, blue owl, okayamadenim, and rivet and hide are all pretty good places to check them out. theyre pricey but i cant see myself getting another pair from old navy unless i know im going to ruin them.

a lot of those brands also make shirts/jackets and theyre all super nice. can sometimes catch them on sale from certain retailers if you shop around for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
After falling head over heels for my Redwing work boots (2415s) and enjoying the heel-less wedge sole I decided to grab a pair of the 875 moc toes as something a little more casual that could still be shítkickers when I don't need a safety toe. The leather is nice on them and they're well built but BOY am I having a battle of willpower to break these things in.

Few will be shocked to learn I'm a patina pervert for leather stuff as well as knives, so the ability to resole appeals to me greatly, and having an upper that can last multiple resoles is worth the price of break-in.
I don't suppose you want to fast-track the process by taking them into a hot shower? ;)

Thursday and Red Wing for boots. I have a pair of Iron Ranger that will outlast me. You just have to put up with breaking them in. For jeans, Levi’s 501 or 505. For hats, Outback Traders and Akubra. For shirts, I’m not beholden to specific brands; I just pick whatever appeals to me, as long as it’s not synthetic. For socks, cotton, bamboo, and merino wool, various brands. Saddleback for belts.
I actually just got a pair of Thursday’s recently. I’ve always wanted a pair of nice boots and for someone with huge feet I was very surprised to find that I fit into their 14-15’s when my shoe size is normally a 16.

What brand is that jungle hat @Keithpaints? I live on Vancouver Island, and we've been getting some brutally hot summers of late, so I'm looking for a nice quick-dry wide brim much like yours to keep the sun off.

I actually just got a pair of Thursday’s recently. I’ve always wanted a pair of nice boots and for someone with huge feet I was very surprised to find that I fit into their 14-15’s when my shoe size is normally a 16.
I need to just pull the trigger on some redwings. 2-3 pairs in a few different colors would set me up for quite a while.
I’d love some redwings but I can’t get beyond the price, even with knowing the value is there.

*but I’ll still buy a knife worth 3 pairs of redwings? This hobby is something else.

Back