What are your “buy it for life” clothing brands?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife got me some Allen Edmonds chukka boots for Christmas and they are wonderful.

If you are patient and on their mailing list, they run a lot of surprisingly substantial sales at various times throughout the year.

Filson. I have a pro deal which makes it far more palatable but their Alaskan Guide flannels are the best I've ever tried, the waxed canvas jacket and the mackinaw wool cruisers are both worth the hype. That mackinaw wool cruiser is comfortable from 50°F to 15°, it just breathes and regulates your temp. I bring mine all over the country on my travels. The Mile Marker is a great Barbour-adjacent coat, nice for southern winters where it's often like 38° and rainy. Completely blocks then wind and acts like a shell so your midlayers can do their job. Plus it looks good and acts like armor going through the bush. I do a bunch of PFAS research so I can't wear standard outdoor/tech gear since everything has a DWR coating and that can cross-contaminate my samples. Gotta dress like a pioneer half the time.

They aren't showing the Mile Marker on Filson website right now, it'll be back when it's back in stock but I have this one and it's a handsome jacket that can dress up or down. With a nice wool sweater underneath you'll be fine in anything Cali winter has.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1253353227...vwE16EPgT9-cqG2EKJqSBvXMAO11H9i4aArfUEALw_wcB
Don't buy regular stuff like long sleeve or t-shirts from them, you'll be overpaying, but the things they do well like wool and waxed canvas, they do exceptionally well.

Darn Tough for socks. They are simply the best and worth the price.

for boots, I like Tecovas for western styling. Nice handmade leather and can be resoled. Same goes for Becket Simonon (loafers), Clark's and Meermin for Chelsea boots. The waxed kudu leather Chelsea's from Meermin are very cool and look nice, comfortable to walk in. Redwing is another good one for all round.

I like Orvis and LL Bean for business casual office khakis.

Edit: Lol I completely misread the explicitly business casual part. Sorry. Gonna edit this for more that leaning, dropped here in the meantime so you know I'm at least rectifying my illiteracy.
As an old Forester I'll second Filson. Wear it practically everyday winter spring and fall here in the Northwest. I do have to say I've worn out a few wool Cruisers over the years on the job. Their canvas cruiser vests are also too light duty for a working in the woods.
As for boots, Nicks, Whites and West Coast. All hand fitted at the factory is the best way. I've heard good things about Franks and JK but don't own them. American made Danners are OK but the other models are kind of hit and miss.

I have way too many things from Prana. Their pants are pretty great tho and last forever.
+1 on this. My office is fairly casual but I have 4 pairs of the Brion pants and 2 more of the shorts. Nice enough looking to wear to office or going out but stretchy and super comfortable. Like if yoga pants and chinos had a baby, not too tight or slim fitting. Well made for sure.

Reactions: ian
Rural living has me living in Duluth Fire Hose cargo pants or shorts much of the time, and remote work doesn't restrict that. They are tough, long-lasting, and have tons of pockets.

When I need to step up to khakis, though, it has been wonderful to discover that you can order absolutely custom-sized ones that fit perfectly. Custom clothing is wonderful, unless you are naturally a perfect fit for an off-the-rack size. My custom khakis came from Proper Cloth, but I think there are a few companies doing this kind of thing. Cost was about 3x what a pair of Dockers would cost. You do have to sort out a lot of things that you normally wouldn't think about, like "what diameter pants cuffs do I want?"

+1 on this. My office is fairly casual but I have 4 pairs of the Brion pants and 2 more of the shorts. Nice enough looking to wear to office or going out but stretchy and super comfortable. Like if yoga pants and chinos had a baby, not too tight or slim fitting. Well made for sure.

Love their jeans too. Super comfortable, good stretch, and look nice.

Banana Republic’s Traveller Pants are very versatile. You can dress them up or down. If you wait for sale prices they are a good deal. Kith and Aime Leon Dore have nice pieces(specially jackets and sweaters) that are updated classics.

Shoes - Brooks - I wear a 4E and Brooks is one of the few companies that make wide shoes. They are comfortable too.

Jeans - Wrangler - Their relaxed fit are just right.

Business casual at my company for guys is jeans and a button-down shirt. Personally I’m huge on comfort, and for me that means lots of stretch.

So for jeans I go with either 7 for All Mankind (Lux Sport fabric, but I think they’ve changed the fabric name since) or Paige (Transcend fabric). Those fabrics are crazy soft with tons of stretch and super comfortable for all day wear. The retail price on those brands is a little nuts but they have solid sales for around 30% off or you can find them at Nordstrom Rack sometimes.

For the button-down shirts either Mizzen & Main or these days I really like Twillory’s long-sleeve performance polo. Tons of stretch in their fabrics. If I need to wear a blazer and want to look a little more serious, then shirts from Bugatchi which aren’t nearly as stretchy but man do they use some really quality super fine yarn cotton with a beautiful sheen.

The weather’s not much of a factor out hear on the West coast so when I want to wear leather shoes it’s usually Olukai driver mocs.

I don't really care much for civilian clothing but I figured I'd add my 2 cents on outdoor stuff based on longer time experience and putting it to fairly heavy duty use in the past:

-Merino wool is awesome as a baselayer (because it has a very wide range where it's comfortable + you can wear it for weeks without it becoming smelly), so it's great for shirts, shorts, long underpants and socks.... but it's not durable. At all. It wears way faster than most synthethics. For the same reason I also think it sucks for mid-layers or outer-layers, where another disadvantage is also that it's relatively heavy.
So yay for merino base layers but keep in mind it will never last as long as synthethics so it's not very economical. As to brands, I loved Icebreaker for base layers but there may be more brands out there these days, their socks sucked though; wore out really fast. Smartwool lasted way better and most people I knew swore by them.
I could imagine merino also working well for 'civilian' clothing because it doesn't crease anywhere near as much as cotton, and looks 'normal' enough that it's not going to stand out like a sore thumb.

-Laminates (like goretex), even if the construction is good, will eventually wear out after 10-15 years. The fabric will delaminate, the taped seams come loose, etc. Then there's also the environmental / sustainability issue of making teflon layered clothing. The different 'grades' actually differ a lot in how well they wear. The marketing names changed over time, but the 'ultra light weight running / biking stuff' will wear out in 1 season if you actually use it in the mountains with a backpack. 3 layer stuff wears way better than 2-2,5 layer stuff.
But main thing to ask is 'do I really need a full waterproof'. If you're just walking the dog or doing your average commute softshells tend to be a way better, cheaper and more comfortable option than hardshells.

-For the same reason a goretex shoe basically has a limited lifespan. I'd favor full-leather over something with goretex any day. And with some occasional maintenance you really don't need goretex to waterproof a leather shoe. They'll be a lot less sweaty too!

-In general I'd say 'avoid the ultra lightweight stuff', it usually wears out faster (compared to 'normal weight' versions of the same brand). That being said, durability will also depend a lot on construction; did they make the right seams in the right place, how were the seams made, how were seams taped, the right reinforcements, etc... sadly this is really hard to judge if you're not an expert. Weight on its own doesn't always tell the full story in that regard.
For backpacks for example I had bad experiences with lightweight packs from Deuter while their heavy weight packs never posed a problem. Osprey I'll avoid for life because while their packs looked good I had several of them fail due to construction flaws (even ones that weren't hardcore lightweight). But for example Black Diamond is actually the brand that lastest best for me - even when being very lightweight, simply because the construction was well designed. However with packs the ergonomics are very personal and dependent on body shape and size, so that always takes precedence over any recommendations anyone may make based on durability.

-Keep in mind that even on the best packs, the zippers tend to be the primary mode of failurer. If you want something that truly lasts, get a design with as few zippers as possible (especially for the main compartment). Clothing tends to have the same problem, but it might be easier to replace a zipper if you insisted on it.

-Plenty of military(style) gear is durable as hell, but the ergonomics usually suck, and really it doesn't necessarily last longer anyway (because while the fabric might be superduper durable this is usually not where packs fail). Military grade only means that it was made by the lowest bidder.

-Another good example of this is gloves. It doesn't particularly matter how awesome the material is when the main failure mode tends to be the seams, especially when there's seams at the fingertips (a design flaw that's sadly found in almost all gloves).

-Specifically on the topic of 'stretchy' anything... most of those things tend to wear and stretch out eventually, so I'd only get it stretch materials where you really want / need them (for example pant legs in a pair of climbing pants). Stretchy pockets on packs need straps on top that can be manually tightened to remain useful longterm.

-Buying for forever does not necessarily always make economical sense. If a product lasts 2x as long but costs 4x as much you're not saving money.
You might still have a better product, a better fit, it might be more sustainable, whatever, just be aware that if you main goal is to save money this might not be what you're achieving.

My daily daypack is an Osprey 14L and I have to say after 10 years daily use its still functional. The print is flaking off and one of the hard plastic zipper pulls snapped. But considering the abuse I give it it is very sturdy and looks great in lime yellow. I even snap on fully laden shopping bags and it doesn't blink. I would have no hesitation getting another.

For a biker messenger style bag the US made Timbuk2 are hard to beat and very customizable.

Interesting... I had 3 different models of their bags fail and know of others who had similar issues. These were all in the 30-40 liter range though... but clearly not made to haul any actual weight. And I'm not talking minor issues like some print fading off, I'm talking load-bearing rods going through the bottom fabric, shoulder straps coming loose, literally stuff that can cause you major problems if it happens on a mountain.

These days I'm not doing anything exciting so my day to day bag is actually a fairly affordable bag from Decathlon that works great. They used to be more of a 'budget alternative' but these days a lot of their stuff is actually really good. Not universally so, but they're definitly worth a look.

I think trusting a brand universally is always problematic since just about any brand will eventually have a stinker where there's some design flaw, whether we're talking clothing, shoes or bags, even when you're talking high-end brands. Although usually if a high-end brand screws up they'll at least take care of you and just refund you.

Any brands who make clothes big enough to fit me. At 6'9" I wish I could be more picky but I can't.

Socks I can tho! Darn tough all the way.
Underwear - calvin klein or lululemon.

Since I feel my answer is insufficient... I present to you my absolute favorite blanket hands down. I am a comfort guy, have all kinds of soft blankets, weighted blankets, you name it. This one is the best, regulates temperature no matter how hot or cold it is better than any blanket I've ever seen, and the weave feels so so nice to run your hands across.

Any brands who make clothes big enough to fit me. At 6'9" I wish I could be more picky but I can't.

Socks I can tho! Darn tough all the way.
Underwear - calvin klein or lululemon.

Since I feel my answer is insufficient... I present to you my absolute favorite blanket hands down. I am a comfort guy, have all kinds of soft blankets, weighted blankets, you name it. This one is the best, regulates temperature no matter how hot or cold it is better than any blanket I've ever seen, and the weave feels so so nice to run your hands across.
That blanket would work really well in my California Campervan.

DT is good stuff. I have a bout 12 pairs of different thicknesses from light casual to ultra cushioned hiking socks. I usually get the micro crew height for every day wear with a light cushion with a 55%+ merino content. In all the years I've been using them the only issue I've had is down to my physiology, not the socks. My left big toe points upwards slightly and unless I keep the nail really short it will eventually create a hole. Happened 4 times when I was less attentive. Just returned all 4 pairs and got a store credit by return No questions. I find them very durable.

Another shoutout for CK undies. My favs are the Steel short leg trunks.

FWIW even though I've found merino wool to be less durable, it was still always my go-to for any serious adventures. And I'd strongly consider it as a go-to for stuff like socks if it's within budget, even when that means replacing them slightly more often. They are just that much more comfortable.
Heck if I was wealthy pretty much all the shirts and shorts in my wardrobe would be merino.

But for glover liners... hard nope, and for mid/outer - layers it's just not that great. There's just better materials when it comes to both weight, durability and for example wind resistance. Durability is really the main problem though; best example is probably how I had a merino sweater that I wore out in no-time on the arm sleeves simply from the edge of my desk... something I never had with any other item.

1) Boots: Gripfast, Lowa, Pikolinos
2) Jacket/coat: Filson Tin Cloth Cruiser, Alpha Industries flight jacket, Filson Omak Parka
3) Shirts: Kuhl, Smartwool, Psycho Bunny
4) Pants: Prana, Levi's, Kuhl

Since it's goretex laminate, more like 15 years... since it's their lightweight model, probably less.
But I guess some of us here are old enough that those might be the same. ;)

Fun thread. Black guys have more style as a rule than whites. Liked the slightly baggy pants more comfortable. Now straight leg tight pants are back in style think they look ridiculous on football players.

55 years living in Hawaii board shorts T shirts. Cycling pants & jersey. Lightweight pullover for surfing. Thicker front zipper for rainy cooler water. Cargo pants. Older after melanoma from way too much sun over the decades cover up. Like Quick dry full brim jungle hats. Pants thin rip stop quick dry long pants. Columbia Sportsware & Freesoldier.
Patagonia thin tops. These cool lightweight use for hiking & yardwork. Hiking shoes Merrell have low top mohabs & Hightops. Wide toe area esp. Important on steep downhill.

Outerwear arcteryx

I really want to like arcteryx but the gusseting under the armpits is so aggressive, the two jackets I have both look weirdly scrunchy and sloppy under my arms in addition to feeling like I have a couple socks stuffed under there, and the body length is a little bit short. No doubt they’re awesome for rock climbing, but not so great for casual wear for me.

I do love their softshell material, though.

Klattermussen is pretty cool, they have a organic cotton rain shell, where the cotton is processed such that it acts a lot like a synthetic fiber, but with cotton breathability. More narrow waist on the top though on the -- euro lanky build.

Albam is pretty cool for some workwear looking stuff

Altra for flat rise shoes

Sos Texas for cheap organic cotton shirts

Margaret Howell is pretty cool, on the used market in Japan to be affordable.

Japanese Mercari is pretty cool for clothes, so many crazy cool brands, gotta read or translate kanji for materials

Vintage wool and cashmere sweaters made in Scotland or Italy

But usually just cheaper stuff I beat up cause grit and dirt and stains from work

I really want to like arcteryx but the gusseting under the armpits is so aggressive, the two jackets I have both look weirdly scrunchy and sloppy under my arms in addition to feeling like I have a couple socks stuffed under there, and the body length is a little bit short. No doubt they’re awesome for rock climbing, but not so great for casual wear for me.

I do love their softshell material, though.
To be fair that's more of an issue with how well a certain manufacturer's fit works for you than a brand being either good or bad. For me when I was still doing adventurous things the problem with Arcteryx was always that it was made for shorter people than me; sleeves too short on the jackets, and backpacks also too short in the back. Ended up with a Haglöfs jacket for that reason, but it doesn't mean that it's objectively better than Arcteryx; a short person would have made the opposite choice.
For me Arcteryx wouldn't work well for climbing either because it was just too short.

FWIW I always thought they had the nicest hood design. But main issue with buying any fancy expensive goretex jacket is deciding whether you truly need it.

The Marmot gore-tex minimalist works well for me. Protection when get caught in rain it can get windy too on summit hikes windbreak. Pacs small put in gallon freezer zip lock bag push air out before sealing.

Tried different backpacks. Bought a Sunhiker on line small holds two bottles of water, first aid, spikes for Merrells if needed. Gloves Jormungand, Folding small seat pad. Outer pocket for lunch. Small zipper outer pocket pocket knife & car keys.

So many slippas are crap these days bottoms wear out quick making walking on smooth wet concrete dangerous. OluKai are good long lasting grip bottoms.
20240131_061017.jpg

Prefer loafers for going out.

Boots: White's Boots, Nick's Boots, Danner, RM Williams Chelseas. All are resoleable.
Dress Shoes: Allen Edmonds, Alden. All are resoleable
Casual Pants: Outlier, Mission Workshop
Jeans: Swrve
Dressier Pants: Bluffworks, Bonobos, Ministry Of Supply
Work Pants: 1620 Workwear, Dickies
Rain Shells: Patagonia and Arcteryx
Soft Luggage: Tom Bihn

Back