What are your “buy it for life” clothing brands?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many slippas are crap these days bottoms wear out quick making walking on smooth wet concrete dangerous. OluKai are good long lasting grip bottoms. View attachment 297076
Prefer loafers for going out.
Crocs my man, crocs. So many designs. Super comfy and versatile too. Wear them in casual or sport mode.
51vD3ZNY6fL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Crocs my man, crocs. So many designs. Super comfy and versatile too. Wear them in casual or sport mode. View attachment 297088
My wife has very few rules that apply to me. Nothing about knife or stone purchases, for example, as long as it doesn't interfere with my provider role. But one of that short list of rules is: I must not wear Crocs under any circumstances. Her mother got me a pair for Christmas, a while back, and she insisted on supervising while I threw them into the trash, to make sure they were really gone. Her point is that she wants to be able to respect me, and the Crocs interfere with that.

I found them kind of sweaty anyway. Holes in plastic do not make for real breathability.

My wife has very few rules that apply to me. Nothing about knife or stone purchases, for example, as long as it doesn't interfere with my provider role. But one of that short list of rules is: I must not wear Crocs under any circumstances. Her mother got me a pair for Christmas, a while back, and she insisted on supervising while I threw them into the trash, to make sure they were really gone. Her point is that she wants to be able to respect me, and the Crocs interfere with that.

I found them kind of sweaty anyway. Holes in plastic do not make for real breathability.
True I had kitchen crocs the non slips and they made also made my feet sweat, but then again this verison didn't have holes on the top. So even with the holes making you sweat seems like a no go for crocs.

To be fair that's more of an issue with how well a certain manufacturer's fit works for you than a brand being either good or bad. For me when I was still doing adventurous things the problem with Arcteryx was always that it was made for shorter people than me; sleeves too short on the jackets, and backpacks also too short in the back. Ended up with a Haglöfs jacket for that reason, but it doesn't mean that it's objectively better than Arcteryx; a short person would have made the opposite choice.
For me Arcteryx wouldn't work well for climbing either because it was just too short.

FWIW I always thought they had the nicest hood design. But main issue with buying any fancy expensive goretex jacket is deciding whether you truly need it.

In the case of my two jackets (gamma mx and delta LT) it’s really a conscious decision to design the jackets for rock climbers, not a matter of personal fit. Which is fine, I have no place to complain about features designed to benefit rock climbers in a jacket I just want to wear around town like a poseur. Anyway, the aggressive gusseting is there to allow you lift your arms overhead while minimizing the hem of the jacket riding up. It just has the unfortunate impact of adding a ton of extra fabric under the armpits.

And yeah, they run a little short for me too.

In the case of my two jackets (gamma mx and delta LT) it’s really a conscious decision to design the jackets for rock climbers, not a matter of personal fit. Which is fine, I have no place to complain about features designed to benefit rock climbers in a jacket I just want to wear around town like a poseur. Anyway, the aggressive gusseting is there to allow you lift your arms overhead while minimizing the hem of the jacket riding up. It just has the unfortunate impact of adding a ton of extra fabric under the armpits.

I know it's  just a 100 wt fleece that is overpriced for what it is...but I absolutely adore my Delta LT. It comes with me everywhere and is more functional during high exertion than my R1, which can get a little too warm unless it's properly cold. The longer sleeve length fits me well but the bias-cut of the bottom is annoying. It's good length on the back but too short in the front, wish they evened it out. Guess I just need to buy a big ol Texan belt buckle to flex and then I'll be singing it's praises.

When I was still climbing, being able to stretch my arms upwards without the jacket riding up, and being able to bend my elbows without the sleeves getting overly tight were basically the main 2 selection criteria that weeded out the majority of jackets for consideration.
Another issue with stuff that's designed more for climbing is that the fit (of the chest area, not the sleeves) will generally be on the short side because otherwise it just gets in the way of your climbing harness.
Which is great if you actually wear a climbing harness, but I think for anyone who never does a slightly longer jacket is actually more functional. Keeps your bum dry!

Can't say I was ever bothered by excess fabric under my armpits, though I have to say I was never a huge fan of pitzips. If you need pitzips you're either wearing too much under your goretex, or it's so hot that you should consider whether wearing goretex really makes sense. When it's above 15c (summer rains) I rather just get wet and have something that breathes and dries quickly, than to wrap myself into a hot sweaty jacket that'll just make me over heat.

20240131_120313.jpg
20240131_123119.jpg
20240131_115717.jpg

It's unusual to see a green Coco crater middle picture. Hiked through tall grass & was little muddy from rains steep accent to the summet.
That's why all of us have spikes on hiking shoes.

Slippa's are the most worn foot ware in Hawaii. If you ever buy take my advice skip the rest many wear out bottoms in a month. Picure two year old OluKai next to my newer pair old pair can see my worn in foot impression. The non slip bottoms still good. In front is Quicksilver crap after one month. Surfware Co. like hurley, reef etc. made in China no quality control some of these cost almost as much as the excellent OluKai. Cool, easy to put on, take off. Only see tourist wearing crocs😁
20240131_222151.jpg

Under cloud bank in group picture you can see Island of Molokai in the distance. Today was very clear after 3 days of heavy rains. You could see three islands molokai, west maui mountains, & lanai.

View attachment 297232View attachment 297239View attachment 297235
It's unusual to see a green Coco crater middle picture. Hiked through tall grass & was little muddy from rains steep accent to the summet.
That's why all of us have spikes on hiking shoes.

Slippa's are the most worn foot ware in Hawaii. If you ever buy take my advice skip the rest many wear out bottoms in a month. Picure two year old OluKai next to my newer pair old pair can see my worn in foot impression. The non slip bottoms still good. In front is Quicksilver crap after one month. Surfware Co. like hurley, reef etc. made in China no quality control some of these cost almost as much as the excellent OluKai. Cool, easy to put on, take off. Only see tourist wearing crocs😁
View attachment 297244
Hey, who you calling 'tourist'?

I've been a Rainbow fan for most of my life, especially since I have flat feet and they mold beautifully to my foot. About 2 years ago I came across these OluKais and have never looked back, more mild arch than many of their offerings and good looking leather. Very well-made, barely any signs of wear even with heavy Floridian usage.

My favorite Olukai are the Ohana water friendly beach sandles posted above. Bottoms are made of tough non slip material like on hiking shoes. Even after couple years of heavy use hardly any wear.

The leather Tuahine you posted I have a pair too in the trench blue/dark wood size12. Like the feel of the leather topside.

Their Mea Ola fancy sandles are premium full grain leather with canoe
style whipstiching & laser etched artwork. Not for prelong contact with water. Have thought of getting a pair.
I only only buy OluKai sandles now.

My favorite Olukai are the Ohana water friendly beach sandles posted above. Bottoms are made of tough non slip material like on hiking shoes. Even after couple years of heavy use hardly any wear.

The leather Tuahine you posted I have a pair too in the trench blue/dark wood size12. Like the feel of the leather topside.

Their Mea Ola fancy sandles are premium full grain leather with canoe
style whipstiching & laser etched artwork. Not for prelong contact with water. Have thought of getting a pair.
I only only buy OluKai sandles now.
Great, now I see they are readily available in Germany. What is your sizing advice? True to size or go 1/2 size above or below? Not really a fan of the Mea Ola but I like the Ohana

I like the fitness wear brands business causal pants. Currently have fabletics and barbell pants. Has good stretch and range of moment while looking sleek. Had them over a year with no rips or tears working +10 hrs in busy kitchens. Sometimes I hit the gym in them afterwards too. Used to go thru pants every 2-3 months or so. Be weary of the barbell pants tho. Every single one of their zippers busted, even the ones I exchanged and I don't seem to be the only one with a quick Google search. It's a bummer for the price point and I like everything else about them and it's otherwise lasted me thru hard use. I deal with it cuz I'm wearing an apron for the majority of the time so it's not noticeable

Thursday and Red Wing for boots. I have a pair of Iron Ranger that will outlast me. You just have to put up with breaking them in. For jeans, Levi’s 501 or 505. For hats, Outback Traders and Akubra. For shirts, I’m not beholden to specific brands; I just pick whatever appeals to me, as long as it’s not synthetic. For socks, cotton, bamboo, and merino wool, various brands. Saddleback for belts.

I've never tried OluKai, but I've always heard good things about them. I use Reef slippahs and they're so comfortable that I have no desire to try any other brands... but maybe I should finally give OluKai a shot.

Thursday and Red Wing for boots. I have a pair of Iron Ranger that will outlast me. You just have to put up with breaking them in. For jeans, Levi’s 501 or 505. For hats, Outback Traders and Akubra. For shirts, I’m not beholden to specific brands; I just pick whatever appeals to me, as long as it’s not synthetic. For socks, cotton, bamboo, and merino wool, various brands. Saddleback for belts.
Saddleback is indeed a buy it for life belt (assuming you stay relatively the same size). 99 year warranty that I doubt I’ll ever make a claim on. Love their briefcases too.

Dr. Martens still make SOME very good boots of the type you mention. I wore mine daily for years, in a position where I met the public, with no sign of fatigue (to the boots or to my feet).
Lost interest when they moved production out of the UK

I'm actually not necessarily a fan of ultra-durable lasting-forever shoes - unless you're in an environment that demands it. More durability also means more weight, and in most situations I much prefer less weight on my feet. Heavy shoes also tend to be way too warm for me most of the year.
Similarly, I'm also not a fan of goretex shoes at all, unless you're in an environment that's wet enough to require them. They invariably breathe a lot less.

After falling head over heels for my Redwing work boots (2415s) and enjoying the heel-less wedge sole I decided to grab a pair of the 875 moc toes as something a little more casual that could still be shítkickers when I don't need a safety toe. The leather is nice on them and they're well built but BOY am I having a battle of willpower to break these things in.

Few will be shocked to learn I'm a patina pervert for leather stuff as well as knives, so the ability to resole appeals to me greatly, and having an upper that can last multiple resoles is worth the price of break-in.

Lids when got melanoma around 10 years ago. My ear. Threw away all my baseball style hats. Now mostly lightweight, quickdry, green under brim.
Jungle hat. Wear it all the time. When go out Panama Hat made by Truffaux.
20240304_121358.jpg

Back