what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say though, when foraging, it’s usually the Eutsler DUK, that I bring for no good reason other than I’m usually lucky, foraging-wise with the DUK. Go figure🤔
IMG_6901.jpeg

I have a number of EDC’s that I carry that I call city knives - Shiro, Oz, Holt. All great actions, millings, attention to detail, etc but when on the job outside, especially in bad weather, it’s the Quiet Carry Drift that I usually take. The Vanax blade is very corrosion resistant and when I drop it, the orange G10 scales show up in even poor light.View attachment 297147
Very nice, this is on my list to get this year. Having a hard deciding between the g10 drift, the ti variants drift or the drift L though. Thoughts?

What do you guys think of current sebenza, model 31? I used to have 2 of them over a period of time. First one was with BG42 blade and one with s30v. I haven’t had one in a while though.

Field testing Spyderco Endura K390 wharncliffe vs Benchmade Saddle Mountain S30V

Endura is thinner, cuts pretty much everything better. Noticeably better on cutting cardboard, HDPE bottles, more equal for cutting HDPE and silicon tubing. Benchmade feels great in hand but I also really like Spyderco handles. Tip on Endura is too thin for me to use as a pry bar to pop up 8" well lids, but by that same token the Benchmade tip is too thick to get under zipties which the wharncliffe excels at. Just wish the Endura had a black handle but for the sale price it's a killer value

20240215_110207.jpg

20240215_110216.jpg
20240215_110223.jpg

Field testing Spyderco Endura K390 wharncliffe vs Benchmade Saddle Mountain S30V

Endura is thinner, cuts pretty much everything better. Noticeably better on cutting cardboard, HDPE bottles, more equal for cutting HDPE and silicon tubing. Benchmade feels great in hand but I also really like Spyderco handles. Tip on Endura is too thin for me to use as a pry bar to pop up 8" well lids, but by that same token the Benchmade tip is too thick to get under zipties which the wharncliffe excels at. Just wish the Endura had a black handle but for the sale price it's a killer value

View attachment 300715

View attachment 300716View attachment 300717
You can almost see Saddle Mountain from my home. I kind of thought it was a funny name to give to a folding hunter given Saddle Mountain is a Oregon State Park. On the other hand, if you are into wild flowers make a point of climbing it. There are thing growing there you won't find any other place.

You can almost see Saddle Mountain from my home. I kind of thought it was a funny name to give to a folding hunter given Saddle Mountain is a Oregon State Park. On the other hand, if you are into wild flowers make a point of climbing it. There are thing growing there you won't find any other place.
*It's a small fixed blade.

I'll keep that in mind! I love to explore niche ecosystems

I've always been partial to Spyderco and Benchmade.

I've carried multiple Delicas over the years, from saber ground VG10 with the old school barrel bolt clip up to FFG ZDP-189. Other Spydercos include, a Carbon Fiber & 410J2/ZDP-189 Caly 3, to a Super Blue Caly 3, S110V Manix2 and Native 5, Maxamet Native 5, ZDP-189/Carbon Fiber Stretch, and some others.

Definitely a sucker for the exotic steels, but somehow the knife in my pocket the most since 2018 or so is a Benchmade Bugout. Boring S30V, flexy scales, but it disappears in my pocket.

I have to laugh sometimes about occasional musings of guys over at the various Facebook edc forums about what to carry when going to formal occasions such as weddings, etc. I guess these could be considered as ewc (evening wear carry). They’re knives, guys, and you think they may come in handy at these occasions???!!!!🤣

I have to laugh sometimes about occasional musings of guys over at the various Facebook edc forums about what to carry when going to formal occasions such as weddings, etc. I guess these could be considered as ewc (evening wear carry). They’re knives, guys, and you think they may come in handy at these occasions???!!!!🤣

Go to Reddit, search worst + wedding, amongst the thousands of posts you will find enlightenment. Major rabbit hole.

So headed out earlier to Swan Lake at SF Ballet. At first I thought the Eutsler duk would add a certain aesthetic but maybe the timascus clip maybe was too much of a statement and maybe subtlety suggested the understated silver Rask with purple hardware may be a better choice for this event.View attachment 302888View attachment 302889
Rask looks super classy. Love how it compliments the pinstripes. Add a purple tie and you’re off to the races.

Hope the ballet was good. I know a bunch of people in that orchestra.

Carrying a knife in public is illegal in Finland without a valid use/reason, outside of cities things are more relaxed (hiking, camping, etc. are valid reasons). And even then, it is a fixed blade most of the time. So, I don’t get to carry folders that often, but when I do, it is either of these ZT 0452. I seem to have a type…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Work for food prep in a pinch too…
IMG_4432.jpeg
IMG_4446.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, actually didn’t carry it - it would be much of a temptation to go after Von Rothbart with it😀.
Frances Chung was Odette/Odile. This was the first time I’ve seen her after her pregnancy and her performance was flawless (to my naive eye).
The SF Ballet Orchestra has been consistently excellent!!! Kudos to your friends and the rest of the members.

Ok, sorry for the thread tangent…
Rask looks super classy. Love how it compliments the pinstripes. Add a purple tie and you’re off to the races.

Hope the ballet was good. I know a bunch of people in that orchestra.

Last edited:
I like Benchmade and Spydies for work knives - open packages, slay cardboard boxes, threaten co-workers, etc. Want to try a Benchmade Immunity. Pricey but looks like a cardboard killer.

Can anyone offer impressions of Auto Immunity, Full Immunity and/or Partial Immunity?

I've had the same Ken Onion Leek for something like 15 years now, it likes to go on the occasional walkabout for a few months at a time but always comes home!

Speaking of folders: sham and Miura today.

Also obligatory Spyderco>Benchmade. Better QC, prices, and heat treats. Id recommend a sage 5 lightweight for a cardboard destroyer. Used to have in m4 from bladehq, not too hard to find one used on Reddit knifeswap for cheap. Or just get one in s30v. Or of course anything in k390.
1000007614.jpg

Last edited:
I like Benchmade and Spydies for work knives - open packages, slay cardboard boxes, threaten co-workers, etc. Want to try a Benchmade Immunity. Pricey but looks like a cardboard killer.

Can anyone offer impressions of Auto Immunity, Full Immunity and/or Partial Immunity?
my spydie in cpm-m4 puts in hella work and still going strong. I only sharpen it once a month. the heat treat is is so hard i even use the spine to steel my knives 🤣

... Or just get one in m4. Or of course anything in k390.
I have a PM2 in M4 and a Bradford fixed blade in m390. I have a difficult time with the M4 (getting it sharp and, once I've gotten there, keeping it sharp). The m390 on the other hand is a dream to sharpen. I'm a huge fan of that steel for EDC stuff (based ony sample of n+1).

I have a PM2 in M4 and a Bradford fixed blade in m390. I have a difficult time with the M4 (getting it sharp and, once I've gotten there, keeping it sharp). The m390 on the other hand is a dream to sharpen. I'm a huge fan of that steel for EDC stuff (based ony sample of n+1).
Spyderco is one of the best m390's out there. Most Chinese m390 is meh but yeah Spydercos is fantastic.

Really interesting to hear about your m4 experience though...what was your sharpening progression

Really interesting to hear about your m4 experience though...what was your sharpening progression
Now I use a 4000 grit DMT bench stone to keep it sharp and it does alright. My whetstones (gesshins and nubatama platinums) are too slow, even just for touch ups. It's just a really abrasive resistant steel.

Now I use a 4000 grit DMT bench stone to keep it sharp and it does alright. My whetstones (gesshins and nubatama platinums) are too slow, even just for touch ups. It's just a really abrasive resistant steel.
Yeah a full diamond progression would be my recommendation for M4. I use venev diamonds from 120 to 1200

Back