What is the deal with Fujiwara Teruyasu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 210 Maboroshi gyuto custom ordered directly from him. A great transaction all the way around. I've had it about a year with daily home use and it's held up very well. She's a bit thicker than I'm used to, but an excellent cutter. I ordered it w/o the finger cutout and with wa handle. The handle is utilitarian, but F&F was fine. No complaints. I tend to gravitate to AS steel, so this dialogue may push me to reach out to him again for a Denka nakiri with a kasumi finish. I had assumed his sweet spot was his hard W#1, but it sounds like he is equally adept for AS work. Yeah it's a bit pricey.

As with you, Snipes, i had a similar experience of ordering directly from the vendor. I asked mine also without the finger rest and with a wa handle. My blade was a nakiri Denka no Hoto, and the handle came with a beautiful ebony wood with buffalo ferrule. The F&F is not like Konosuke, but it's pretty good. The best edge OOTB i have ever seen. Maybe Kato was that good in my opinion OOTB. I'm definitely buying a 210mm gyuto from him.

When people refer to the price not being that great vs other options, is that the resale price from stores that resell his knives, or the prices from his website? I was looking at a 210 Denka no Hoto with Ebony/Buffalo horn handle for ~$390 shipped to the US.

The Denka used to be wildly expensive compared to other options (this is going back years) and the fit and finish of the western handles was very poorly though of.

It's more the fact that there is a huge price disparity between his 210 and 240 gyuto. The traditional wisdom here suggests 240mm is the "normal" gyuto (although this seems to be changing a bit).

The Maboroshi line (210 and under) is good value at the current exchange rate. I wanted one for a while, but then I got a gyuto from his Nashiji line and wasn't overly impressed.

Sorry for not checking, but the Nashiji is the lower-end line, with Maboroshi in the middle and Denka at the top? It may be full of 'imperfections' but really like my Maboroshi 210. It has its own look, but I think there's no intention for it to impress in that way. More, the hammer marks, profile, etc, basically have a purpose, and it's an excellent cutter with its own style. I'd say the maker (forget his name) knows exactly what it should do and has made it for that, but not for photo ops or fondling. Classy tool.

More recently, it seems like the price gap between the 210 and 240 has closed significantly, at least in the Nashiji line.

Really? Last time I checked it was just over 50% extra for the 240 over the 210. His pricing structure has always been this way.

And the Maboroshi no Meito line is wildly inconsistent as well. If you're the kind of person who likes a consistent grind and edge, Fujiwara's knives are not for you.

And the Maboroshi no Meito line is wildly inconsistent as well. If you're the kind of person who likes a consistent grind and edge, Fujiwara's knives are not for you.

True. Mine certainly is. Not a thing of beauty.

Sorry for not checking, but the Nashiji is the lower-end line, with Maboroshi in the middle and Denka at the top? It may be full of 'imperfections' but really like my Maboroshi 210. It has its own look, but I think there's no intention for it to impress in that way. More, the hammer marks, profile, etc, basically have a purpose, and it's an excellent cutter with its own style. I'd say the maker (forget his name) knows exactly what it should do and has made it for that, but not for photo ops or fondling. Classy tool.
The Denka used to be wildly expensive compared to other options (this is going back years) and the fit and finish of the western handles was very poorly though of.

It's more the fact that there is a huge price disparity between his 210 and 240 gyuto. The traditional wisdom here suggests 240mm is the "normal" gyuto (although this seems to be changing a bit).

The Maboroshi line (210 and under) is good value at the current exchange rate. I wanted one for a while, but then I got a gyuto from his Nashiji line and wasn't overly impressed.
I'm comparing nashiji 240 & maboroshi 210 at the moment, as they're similar price, maboroshi 240 way to expensive to me, you mention that nashiji didn't impress you, Should i go with maboroshi 210?

I had three Denka in the shop last month. 2 westerns and a wa. The wa was relatively clean; even kurouchi, only a few errant grind marks. One western had some crazy errant grind marks and a super uneven bolster. The other was a bit better fit and finish, but the uneven bolster was still a challenge. Also, the tangs are uneven. So, a bit of a challenge to rehandle. That being said, the actual edge grind was stellar imho, and I've heard dude really nails the heat treat.

Back