What Is Your Go-To Coarse Stone For Heavy Lifting?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@panda

XD lol I got $20 worth hahaha

They're good for sharpening, but cerax for $15 more is much much better.

I was like is expensive definitively better and the answer is ... Usually haha

I have a question about course stones and my Marine Mark 2 Utility knife (KaBar). My years of trying to sharpen it on much finer stones has never worked. The blade in not overly hard about HrC 58 but the blade is real thick. KaBar recoments a 40º inclusive. Is my GS500 course enough to reset the edge or should I start with something courser like a #320?

I have a question about course stones and my Marine Mark 2 Utility knife (KaBar). My years of trying to sharpen it on much finer stones has never worked. The blade in not overly hard about HrC 58 but the blade is real thick. KaBar recoments a 40º inclusive. Is my GS500 course enough to reset the edge or should I start with something courser like a #320?
That’s depends on how much work do you need to do. As the rule of thumb (there are few caveats, but they should not apply to utility knife) start as coarse as you have available when doing major work. The less time you spend on any given stone its a win for you.

Unless that #320 is an extremely aggressive type (brazed diamond?) I would say it is still much too fine if "real thick" is like I am imagining. Something between #60 and #120 is where I would aim. BYXCO Manticore, 100 grit 3M Cubitron II paper, Zandstra FOSS coarse-side, etc. I don't think a KaBar by itself warrants diamond or cBN.

Last edited:
Back