what is your go-to hotsauce?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not my "go-to" hot sauce but certainly what I always grab with fish (grilled) or pulled pork sliders ... is Homeboy's Habanero ... super citrus with a great balance of habanero ... if you haven't tried them they are (IMO) a great hot sauce ... maybe not super hot though and really the Habanero is what I buy ...

http://heatonist.com/homeboys-habanero/

plus "heatonist.com" is one of my go to sites for this sort of thing ... can't speak to the pricing though as I buy very small quantities so I prefer service/availability over cost ...

TjA

Cholula because of the history. Spent a good amount of time in the town of Tequila...La Fonda Cholula is the cantina next door to the Cuervo distillery (and owned by Cuervo) and was originally built to feed the workers. The Cholula sauce was originally made for making sangrita but now is available worldwide as a bottled hot sauce. Liked the taste, love the story behind it even more.

Marie Sharp is my all time favorite sauce with no equal. Once you try it you never go back to anything else. The flavor is incredible, long medium burn with a fruity finish, nice viscosity. So addicting, they must put crack in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2AFLRU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Absolutely agree on the Marie Sharps. I make special trips to a shop in Manhattan to get it.

A note on the history of this stuff: it used to be called Melinda's, and was equally hard to find. It was made by a woman in Belize named (spoiler alert) Marie Sharp, who owned a farm called Melinda's. She grew more Habaneros than she knew what to do with, and at the encouragement of a friend, developed her hot sauce. Just when it started getting popular in the U.S., her distributor screwed her over. They stole her name and packaging, which she had not trademarked. And they started buying the hot sauce from a cheaper and inferior source.

Now Melinda's is everywhere, and Marie Sharp's is hard-to-find specialty item. I encourage everyone to boycott the fake Melinda's and seek out the real deal.

Here's the full story.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite is one we make a work for staff meals. Goes great with everything and has a mild heat that resides quickly so you can use a fair amount.

Scotch bonnet sauce
2c water
1/4 white vinegar
1/2 t salt
1/3-1/2 c mustard
1/2 t xantham
Sugar
6 scotch bonnet seeded
Onion
Garlic clove

My favorite is one we make a work for staff meals. Goes great with everything and has a mild heat that resides quickly so you can use a fair amount.

Scotch bonnet sauce
2c water
1/4 white vinegar
1/2 t salt
1/3-1/2 c mustard
1/2 t xantham
Sugar
6 scotch bonnet seeded
Onion
Garlic clove

is this cooked?

Just a few Things I am working on in this category

IMG_5008.jpg

And yes I keep all my ferments on my desk, they are like my children

Absolutely agree on the Marie Sharps. I make special trips to a shop in Manhattan to get it.

A note on the history of this stuff: it used to be called Melinda's, and was equally hard to find. It was made by a woman in Belize named (spoiler alert) Marie Sharp, who owned a farm called Melinda's. She grew more Habaneros than she knew what to do with, and at the encouragement of a friend, developed her hot sauce. Just when it started getting popular in the U.S., her distributor screwed her over. They stole her name and packaging, which she had not trademarked. And they started buying the hot sauce from a cheaper and inferior source.

Now Melinda's is everywhere, and Marie Sharp's is hard-to-find specialty item. I encourage everyone to boycott the fake Melinda's and seek out the real deal.

Here's the full story.
I usually bring a suitcase full of Marie Sharp back with me from Belize when I go. I'm out right now so I should find an excuse to go down there again. :)

Arizona gunslinger red jalapeño

Secret Aardvark is our favorite. Expensive but so good!

Just ordered 30 ounces of Marie Sharp's. Looking forward to it.

So much talk about the Marie Sharp I'm also ordering a couple bottles

I've recently become obsessed with siracha on eggs and potatoes. My go to sauce is pain is good Jamaican style. It's got a good blend of sweet and hot but it's really balanced. Really love throwing it on jambalaya right before I eat it or on beer can chicken.

Probably 15 years ago or so I used to get this product called "Sista Pat's Island Inferno"… I think it was a local product made by a Caribbean lady sold at some local grocery stores (I was a spaced out teenager back then so don't remember lol). I do however remember that it was super hot (presumably scotch bonnet or habanero) but had a lot of aromatic spice undertones and was sweetened "just enough" with pineapple and/or mango to take a bit of the bite off and still be able to be tastable.

The other part I remember was the slogan on the bottle… "Burns like hell, tastes like heaven", which I thought was clever. I'd really like to find it again, or I could try making something myself as I bought a case of scotch bonets recently and what didn't get dehydrated/roasted got frozen for the future :idea2:

85DE0F27-AAF0-4FA4-9A19-FB829C8726A6_zpstvym2sdf.jpg

For sizing reference the big SS mixing bowl is a 20qt and about 22" diameter, and my crocks (5L, 10L, 20L) of sauerkraut are also in the background

Geez abns, have you converted one of your bedrooms into a cool room or something? First the sauerkraut now the peppers.. that takes cooking in bulk to a new meaning

This thread inspired me to re-up on Marie Sharps. Took a trip to Kalustyan's in Manhattan for a couple of bottles (and a bunch of the things that no one else ever has). MS has unfortunately gone down the road of offering a baffling number of versions, so it's hard to know which one is her regular hot sauce. It's pretty easy still to find my favorite version ... the green prickly pear habanero flavor. It's a bit unusual and I find it addictive.

I also use a lot of the standard rooster sriracha. Completely different flavor profile that goes well with so many things. And I love that it's cheap, comes in a huge bottle, and can be bought everywhere.

Marie Sharp all the way! Discovered them a few years ago in a Spanish shop here in town which also sells amazing fresh home made corn tortillas.

For those in Germany: http://www.marie-sharp.de

I too love the "Green Habanero" flavour with prickly pear (nopal cactus).

What flavours are others here recommending?

Marie Sharp all the way! Discovered them a few years ago in a Spanish shop here in town which also sells amazing fresh home made corn tortillas.

For those in Germany: http://www.marie-sharp.de

I too love the "Green Habanero" flavour with prickly pear (nopal cactus).

What flavours are others here recommending?

Yes, let's hear from all you Marie Sharps folks...I went to the website and they have multiple styles...which do you prefer?

I'm down with as much heat as offered but often the hottest isn't the best, so before I try I'd like to hear more.

FWIW, my homemade habanero sauce is carrot based.:biggrin:

Yes, let's hear from all you Marie Sharps folks...I went to the website and they have multiple styles...which do you prefer?

I'm down with as much heat as offered but often the hottest isn't the best, so before I try I'd like to hear more.

One of the restaurants affiliated with dardeau makes a sweet potato habanero sauce and it's incredible.

Recipe, please. :)

Totally agree, I like it pretty spicy so the "Green Habanero" from Marie Sharp could be a little more spicy, so I spice it up with some extra chopped
green chillies but the flavour of that sauce is just so amazing that it's my go to.

You guys are serious. Got the Marie Sharps Green prickly pear habanero & the regular hot Habanero Pepper Sauce. Tried both. I use it with caution not too many shakes, good stuff:Ooooh:

Got the Marie Sharps Green prickly pear habanero & the regular hot Habanero Pepper Sauce. Tried both. I use it with caution not too many shakes, good stuff:Ooooh:

I've been finding their newer labelling a bit confusing. When I went to the store that carries this stuff (long trip) I couldn't remember which version of the red sauce I'd been using. So I bought the one labelled "Fiery Hot." Turns out what's in my fridge is "Mild." Haven't opened the new bottle yet ... am hoping it's not stupid hot.

anyone make their own? I've been researching pepper mashes and whiskey pepper mashes and fermented hotsauces... think I'm gonna give it a go.

I just made a really nice and non traditional trini pepper sauce... got ~1kg nice habaneros at the local asian grocer, 4 bucks!! seeded and minced those up, grated ~2 cups of carrot, 1 small onion and mince three cloves of garlic, cook everything but the peppers until it's mush (~1 hour, or just simmer 20 minutes then blitz, I didnt want to do more dishes) with a cup of water and a shot of brown rice vinegar. add peppers and simmer another 10 minutes. add 1 tsp shoyu 1tsp anchovy fish sauce, eyeball worcestershire sauce, dash of msg and dash of salt and 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar. Smells like heaven.

Back