what is your go-to hotsauce?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not exactly a store-bought sauce here, but there's a store-bought element. I've been making one of the recipes from Fuchsia Dunlop's Chinese cookbooks using this sauce, and I like it so much I've been making more and storing it in the fridge. Scale up as needed:

3-4 tablespoons light or tamari soy sauce.
One and a half to two teaspoons fine sugar.
Two to four heaped teaspoons minced (not crushed) garlic.
Five to six tablespoons chili oil, with its sediment (Judy Fu Hot Oil, available at Safeway up here in the PNW). You should be able to find something similar in a local Asian grocery. Be sure to stir in a heap of that sediment.

Adjust quantities to taste. This is great stuff, with no vinegar edge because there's no vinegar, and you can adjust how sweet or salty you want it. Scale it up and store a bottle in the fridge. And yeah, I know I should be making my own hot chili oil because it's easy, but I have trouble scoring the right chilies up here. Buying hot chili oil off the shelf at the supermarket is easy.

we do this all the time..

i also do:

light soy, chopped up jalapenos, a touch of sugar..and a drop of sesame oil. it's great drizzled over food..

Sriracha sauce (**** sauce) for Asian and Italian
Tapatio or chalula for Mexican food

I too am a Tapatio fan but tend to try anything that looks interesting. I also like The Pepper Plant hot sauces. They are rather salty but sometimes that is great to balance some dishes.

I've never had Cholula, so when I saw a bottle in a local supermarket for the first time, I got one to try out.

I thought it would be spicier, but that's not my main complaint. It tastes awful. Tastes like chemicals, very metallic.

Pain is Good Batch #37 Garlic Style Hot Sauce. Great flavor, too hot for my wife (and most friends); my go-to sprinkle on take-out pizza to add a bit of life to an otherwise boring and uninspired meal.
Cheers,
Ed

Where can I find this stuff? It sounds perfect for me.

My new favourite (much more than the Marie Sharps) is "verde rebelde" by "El Machete".

From the website:

"combines fire roasted Jalapeño, Serrano, and Orange Habanero chilies to deliver grassy, roasted green chilli notes. It’s layered with Mexican herbs and pan roasted spices for depth of flavor. Epazote is a native herb traditional Mexican widely used in the country’s vast cuisine. This deeply flavored and chunky style sauce is also layered with global spices: oregano, marjoram, bay leaf, and corriander. To naturally preserve the chilli sauce, El Machete utilizes white vinegar, sea salt, and Mexican cane sugar."

http://elmachete.com/chilli-sauce/

[video=youtube;9vAxFkeWQTk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAxFkeWQTk[/video]

I've never had Cholula, so when I saw a bottle in a local supermarket for the first time, I got one to try out.

I thought it would be spicier, but that's not my main complaint. It tastes awful. Tastes like chemicals, very metallic.

I am wondering what is different about Cholula.The first time I used it,I loved the taste and the experience,for the first three bottles,of course.When I ran out of the stuff,just recently,I bought another bottle and found that experience much like yours so now I can not stand it no more.Could be a user thing though like Frank's Hot sauce. My wife loves that stuff and practically can drink it right from the bottle,she uses so much.Me,I do not care for it at all.

I actually kinda like the taste of Frank's, but it's not spicy at all. Frank's is really expensive in Denmark at around 7 dollars for a small bottle so it's not worth purchasing anyway. I prefer tabasco and sriracha for most things if I'm being basic. Otherwise I've started just crushing up dried thai peppers and sprinkling on straight. I make my own honey mustard sauce as well and that has quite a bit of chili in it. Keep it in a squeeze bottle in the fridge. Not technically a hot sauce, but it does the trick.

I think after reading through this thread I need to try some new hot sauce

Back